• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Mitsuboshi Colors

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
FMP Invisible Victory is actually currently cheapest at Funimation for $42.49. Idk why you guys seem to only list right stuf or amazon prices.

https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-video/full-metal-panic-invisible-victory-the-complete-series-combo-le-bld-00791/
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, Legend of the Galactic Heroes! I know it's not the old series that I would absolutely love to own at a reasonable price, but I'm honestly going out of my way to make sure I buy all the other LoGH stuff I can until Sentai changes their damn minds. So while I'm not really expecting DNT to be as good as the old series, I'm buying it anyway! And all of the novels too, of course!
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and while it suffers a bit more from the “adult actors playing children” effect than the original Japanese track, the writing is solid and all of the key performances are on point.

I really wish dubbing companies could hire child actors. NYAV Post seems to be the only studio that can do it, and they mostly just pick up movies. I'm currently watching Strawberry Marshmallow, and the kids actually sound like kids because the studio cast child actors for the lead roles. It definitely goes a long way.

When The Promised Neverland eventually gets dubbed, I'd love it if Aniplex of America could commission NYAV Post to dub it. I know I'm asking a lot, but if NYAV Post could cast child actors for the leads and some of the supporting roles and directed them effectively, we could get something way more special than just a normal Bang Zoom dub.

But that's just me. Smile
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:54 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:
and while it suffers a bit more from the “adult actors playing children” effect than the original Japanese track, the writing is solid and all of the key performances are on point.

I really wish dubbing companies could hire child actors. NYAV Post seems to be the only studio that can do it, and they mostly just pick up movies. I'm currently watching Strawberry Marshmallow, and the kids actually sound like kids because the studio cast child actors for the lead roles. It definitely goes a long way.
I'm currently watching through the entire Batrman the Animated Series, and I wish at times they had got adults in for a lot of kids, or at least the boys.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:17 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched beyond episode four of Mitsuboshi Colors, and I still haven't finished it. I really ought to, though.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:15 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:

When The Promised Neverland eventually gets dubbed, I'd love it if Aniplex of America could commission NYAV Post to dub it. I know I'm asking a lot, but if NYAV Post could cast child actors for the leads and some of the supporting roles and directed them effectively, we could get something way more special than just a normal Bang Zoom dub.

I don't know all the ages of the actors in Strawberry Marshmallow but looking them up most seemed to be in their upper teens like 17 or 18. The ANN reviewer for DVD 1 even said Ana "sounds about three years older than her character suggests". You know the Japanse cast of Strawberry Marshmallow were all around the age of 30 when they did those role, no problem there. Female adults can voice children. Most anime isn't exactly going for realism anyway.

I often find child actors very bad actors which is why they are either rarely used or the studio have to dig very hard to find decent child actors which the higher budget dubs can afford.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:07 am Reply with quote
This show is so innocent in a moral sense that Yorimoi and Yuru Camp in its background may seem to be fanservice shows, lol. In general, I am glad that 2017-2018 were rich not only in very fetished all-female shows, but also similar, warm titles.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:

I don't know all the ages of the actors in Strawberry Marshmallow but looking them up most seemed to be in their upper teens like 17 or 18. The ANN reviewer for DVD 1 even said Ana "sounds about three years older than her character suggests". You know the Japanse cast of Strawberry Marshmallow were all around the age of 30 when they did those role, no problem there. Female adults can voice children. Most anime isn't exactly going for realism anyway.

I often find child actors very bad actors which is why they are either rarely used or the studio have to dig very hard to find decent child actors which the higher budget dubs can afford.

The girls in Strawberry Marshmallow are 11-12 years old except for the older sister who's 20.
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:

(snip)

Yeah, I have this problem with Space Patrol Luluco. I tried watching the dub after buying the blu-ray, but in English Luluco just sounds a little too mature. Like I might buy her for late high school, but not middle school/junior high.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
This was an incredibly funny and thoroughly anime.

Kids being kids at it's finest.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:

It's hard to find child actors that are constantly avaliable to do voice-acting. That's just how it is.
That reminds me how the Evangelion's dub in my country they got actual kids to voice all the main kids(all talented and prominent VAs to this day.)
Here's a sample of how they sounded:
https://youtu.be/fNjLvJjfxT0

https://youtu.be/hdB42_GDGD4
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1