• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind Gets (Even More) Gruesome

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I do wish the official English subs found a way around the naming scheme by just mis-spelling rather than renaming.

Like maybe Spice Girl, instead of Spicy Lady, could've just been 'Spice Gril' and technically our brains tend to ignore and 'fix' the pronunciation. Same for Metallica, instead of Metallic, could just be 'Metalica' , or to go back a bit, AC/DC could just be AyeCeeDeeCee, or recently, Notorious B.I.G., could've been Notorious Beeg and I feel that might've gotten around trademark stuff, but still keep the intent.

Or would what I mention have then become a problem with the English dub? And hence why they renamed them?

Anyway, yeah, I'm lovin' it so far.
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I´ve been aware of the infamy of JoJo: Golden Wind´s atrocious manga translations, boring main chaaracter and complicated villain, as well as better action and supporting cast that manga fans told me about this entry in the JoJo franchise, so despite low expectations I gave part 5´s animated entry a chance and....... I´m still waiting for its 'greatness'.

After part 4 was the near-perfect entry in all levels, I have to say that even for JoJo standards, part 5 has been lackluster so far. They´ve made the most one-dimensional and boring main character of the franchise in Giorno, who´s only interesting trait is being Dio´s son, but nothing else. The supporting cast is just as bland as him, defined by either just their looks or a gimmick. Unlike in part 4´s supporting cast(which had some layers to themselves beyond their basic personalities), these other 5 guys don´t get any development beyond their backstories, but if you remove them, they´re just as bland as if they have´em. They feel pretty shallow in 13 episodes, while part 4´s gang members were wuickly developing each one after their debut episode.

The art direction is inconsistent. Given that most of the staff that made part 4 so beautiful to look at ended up working on Captain Tsubasa 2018, this series has so many visual and animation problems. Most of the time, the character designs go off-model, the locations look somehow less interesting than the locations in previous entries, not even the closed ones, nor Pompeii. This is mostly due to some odd use of colorization that I think it doesn[t get the best use for the locations. The color-change gimmick that´s used in the middle of battle? Now they use it at the end of a battle, like if it was a 'finish him' in Mortal Kombat.

And plot? Which plot, so far is all about the gang discovering who´s the organization´s boss and taking over his place by protecting their daughter and fighting some villains, which is mostly repetitive and less intriging than the storytelling in part 4. And the Stands´ powers feel lazy somehow, as they have simplistic but slightly modified powers seen in other pieces of fiction, like making things and people small, teletransporting through zipping portals, trapping people in a mirror dimension, etc. Which in turn transforms the 'fight scenes' from interesting puzzles into dragout mind games about guys one-upping each other´s strategy. The only interesting fights so far are Shadow Sabbath vs Giorno and Formaggio vs Narancia because they were a bit more elaborated.

I´m thinking if to continue this show because is weak in comparison to previous JoJo series and in comparison to other anime series, is just a 7/10 series. How does it get better, if it does?
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Surprised you didn't wait for this week's episode before doing this, considering, you know......what happens.

Also the post above me is wrong on so many levels, I wouldn't even know where to begin.
Keytee1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:47 am Reply with quote
Skerlly Fc wrote:

Really?
Part 4 is the most lackluster part. For the first 19 episodes, there's no plot going around, just random stuff happening in town. Do danger, no adventure, just plotless random episodes until Kira kicks in.

While Part 5 is a Part 3 but done with Part 2's pacing. And it's much more awesome, with enemy abilities being much more gruesome. And the antagonists are more well-developed than Part 3 or Part 4 antagonists. Most of Stand-Users of the Week in parts 3 and 4 are just evil idiots, while Part 5 Stand-Users of the Week are much more developed as characters, and you actually care for Pesci and Prosciutto, Formaggio's willingness to avenge his nakama, and Squalo and Tiziano with their relationships.
Not to mention, Part 5 artstyle is much better than Part 4's low-detail art style.

I guess you just prefer slice-of-life shows.
Keytee1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:48 am Reply with quote
BlueBeast33 wrote:
Surprised you didn't wait for this week's episode before doing this, considering, you know......what happens.

Also the post above me is wrong on so many levels, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

In the next episode we will get "Here's to you Nicola and Bart" moment Anime smile
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:20 am Reply with quote
#845616 wrote:
Part 4 is the most lackluster part. For the first 19 episodes, there's no plot going around, just random stuff happening in town. Do danger, no adventure, just plotless random episodes until Kira kicks in.

I guess you just prefer slice-of-life shows.

"Slice-of-life is inherently bad." Yeah. Sure. Rolling Eyes
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
I see what Skerlly's sayin...

But I believe the basic idea for Jojo is to change up the way things are done, so this part is an obvious contrast to the previous one. I've liked all of them for what they are, but it makes sense that some will gravitate towards certain parts over others.

Part 5, despite what it looks like is actually occurring over the course of a few days, so it's a much simpler story in so much as the developments are taking place over a shorter span of time.

I really dig the criminal element and mind-games thing going on. This story is more focused without getting caught up in side-plots, so naturally less development occurs, but given this story's focus, adding that would just detract from it, whereas it was more fitting for the previous part and its laid back youth high school neighborhood setting.

The current part is more of a location-jumping fast paced race against time. A window of opportunity suddenly opened up for everyone involved and everyone's making a mad dash to take advantage of it before it closes.

To get caught up in exploring other characters or other side-plots will only detract from this intensity. Kira could take his sweet time and the cast had to wait. Doppio isn't screwing around, and neither can the cast.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Skerlly Fc wrote:

And plot? Which plot, so far is all about the gang discovering who´s the organization´s boss and taking over his place by protecting their daughter and fighting some villains, which is mostly repetitive and less intriging than the storytelling in part 4.

So all for all the praise you give Diamond is Unbreakable you actually don't like it's storytelling given you just essentially summed up both halves of DiU's plot.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:57 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
I do wish the official English subs found a way around the naming scheme by just mis-spelling rather than renaming.

Like maybe Spice Girl, instead of Spicy Lady, could've just been 'Spice Gril' and technically our brains tend to ignore and 'fix' the pronunciation. Same for Metallica, instead of Metallic, could just be 'Metalica' , or to go back a bit, AC/DC could just be AyeCeeDeeCee, or recently, Notorious B.I.G., could've been Notorious Beeg and I feel that might've gotten around trademark stuff, but still keep the intent.

Or would what I mention have then become a problem with the English dub? And hence why they renamed them?

Anyway, yeah, I'm lovin' it so far.

I think the prospect of a dub is the reason for those changes. Slightly changing the spelling but keeping the pronunciation leaves the question of what those musicians might do legally. The change in title for Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad at least means it's possible they could be made to change it or have someone try to get payment out of them. Even if Viz said that they changed the spelling to make it distinct, pronouncing it the same way would counteract that.

jdnation wrote:
I see what Skerlly's sayin...

But I believe the basic idea for Jojo is to change up the way things are done, so this part is an obvious contrast to the previous one. I've liked all of them for what they are, but it makes sense that some will gravitate towards certain parts over others.

I think you're right about that. I didn't think about it much until the transition from Stardust Crusaders to Diamond is Unbreakable where it went from a globe-trotting adventure where every enemy was a potentially lethal threat to staying focused on one town where some enemies were major threats, but others were just jerks that needed a lesson or simply weirdos that only came off badly at first. I appreciate that it does more to keep things interesting than just introducing a new character named JoJo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1