• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Devilman Crybaby Director Maasaki Yuasa

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Yuasa really is the rising star anime director of the 2010s. He is articulate and insightful and knows exactly what is at the root of the anime industry's problems and what might be best to fix them. Really, the "overwork yourself for the sake of the company and the product work" mode of work ethic needs to go sooner rather than later.

Quote:
But a Devilman sequel isn't the only one of Go Nagai's work Yuasa would like to try his hand at. “I love Mazinger Z and Cutey Honey--that one has a lot of lewd bits,” he smiled. “I understand its lewdness and see the fun in it.

I'd rather he'd try his hand with them then possibly dilute Crybaby's powerful ending. Especially with Mazinger which even Imagawa of G Gundam and Giant Robo fame didn't succeed at reimagining.

Last edited by Zeino on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
SouthParkboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Maasaki Yuasa is a new star filmmaker in today's world of anime cause he is really good at making mind f**k anime. Also what drugs does he takes to make this awesome triply stuff? Also Mind Game is the ultimate mind f**k next to the opening of Pee-Wee's Playhouse, Pink Elephants on Parade from Dumbo 1941 and Raggedy Ann and Andy: A Musical Adventure. Very Happy Laughing
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“We rest regularly. Days off really are days off. We don't work into all hours of the night.” He added, “It's a company rule.”

That's great to hear.

As for following up Devilman...well, as so many of us Go Nagai fans know, there is one template in particular that stands out as the primary choice, which I think doesn't mess up what Crybaby was doing either - just that I wonder if what it IS would be appealing to fans of Devilman Crybaby at all. Buuut, that's all the more reason why I'd be very curious to see what Yuasa and friends could do with it.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Yuasa really is the rising star anime director of the 2010s. He is articulate and insightful and knows exactly what is at the root of the anime industry's problems and what might be best to fix them. Really, the "overwork yourself for the sake of the company and the product work" mode of work ethic needs to go sooner rather than later.

Quote:
But a Devilman sequel isn't the only one of Go Nagai's work Yuasa would like to try his hand at. “I love Mazinger Z and Cutey Honey--that one has a lot of lewd bits,” he smiled. “I understand its lewdness and see the fun in it.

I'd rather he'd try his hand with them then possibly dilute Crybaby's powerful ending. Especially with Mazinger which even Imagawa of G Gundam and Giant Robo fame didn't succeed at reimagining.

I preferred Shin Mazinger way more than Crybaby even as a Devilman adaptation which it subtly was even with the Mazinger clothing. Imagawa succeeded in my view even if he didn’t get the credit he deserved. Shin Mazinger’s ending even got the Devilman ending in atmosphere and tone. Crybaby hardly felt like a Devilman work in comparison. It’s fair to say I didn’t care for it very much.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I think I would prefer a Yuasa Mazinger vs Violence Jack, which is the only place you can go with Crybaby.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I think I would prefer a Yuasa Mazinger vs Violence Jack, which is the only place you can go with Crybaby.

VJ is a rather peculiar title, I personally find it difficult to imagine it in the style of crybaby. However, this sounds like a good challenge, so why not?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1