• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saranzanmai Anime's English Dub Casts Alejandro Saab, Justin Briner, Ricco Fajardo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
For a moment there I thought that was Justine Bieber Laughing
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Strange choice for Enta.

Not my top pick for Kuji

Anyway Kuji and Kazuki's voice actors do need more lead roles.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm not shocked with a couple of the casting choices (I heard a few people guess Justin Briner for Enta), but then others are a total surprise. Very excited to see how it turns out! Funimation did a pretty good job with Yuri Kuma Arashi, which was done during the early days of simuldubs.

Also, I feel for the ADR team/scriptwriters in advance because no matter how common it is for simuldubs to not dub songs until the home release (due to time, lack of materials, etc), you know they're going to get pissy comments anyway just like with Zombie Land Saga.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Tabitha Ray is directing? Well hopefully we get more of a Hanebado dub instead of a Goblin Slayer dub.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Tabitha Ray is directing? Well hopefully we get more of a Hanebado dub instead of a Goblin Slayer dub.

I liked Goblin Slayer's dub. It wasn't perfect, but the voice cast was unique and the show's dramatic beats were executed very well in English.

Plus, if Tsuredure Children and Meiji Tokyo Renka are anything to go by, she's good at directing comedies, too.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
LiteMangime wrote:
For a moment there I thought that was Justine Bieber Laughing

I was scrolling down the main page and definitely read that as "Justin Bieber" at first...

To be fair, if any anime were to massively troll and get a high profile celeb just to make him act out ridiculous butt scenes, I wouldn't put it past this one. Bonus points if they make them be one of the (unflattering) kappa zombies.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

I liked Goblin Slayer's dub. It wasn't perfect, but the voice cast was unique and the show's dramatic beats were executed very well in English.

Unique =/= good and they really weren't. It wasn't completely terrible, but it was certainly one of the most mundane dubs Funi's done in quite a while. Hawkins kind of got better as the show rolled on (though I feel Ian Sinclair would have been a much better fit as GS), and Mallorie Rodak eventually found a groove as High Elf Archer, but everyone else was either miscast (Dwarf Shaman, Sword Maiden, and a few others) , or had very awkward reads (especially Sara Ragsdale). Really the only person who was good throughout was Brittany Lauda as Cow Girl.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Unique =/= good and they really weren't. It wasn't completely terrible, but it was certainly one of the most mundane dubs Funi's done in quite a while. Hawkins kind of got better as the show rolled on (though I feel Ian Sinclair would have been a much better fit as GS), and Mallorie Rodak eventually found a groove as High Elf Archer, but everyone else was either miscast (Dwarf Shaman, Sword Maiden, and a few others) , or had very awkward reads (especially Sara Ragsdale). Really the only person who was good throughout was Brittany Lauda as Cow Girl.

This is pretty spot on. I hate saying that too in regards to goblin slayer because it was a good show. But it clearly had a bunch of miscasts
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:58 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Okay, I definitely agree with you on Sara Ragsdale's performance being kind of weak, and Sword Maiden was definitely miscast. But I agreed with most of the casting choices, including the choices that seem odd on paper, like Brad Hawkins as Goblin Slayer, Mallorie Rodak as High Elf Archer, and Barry Yandell as Dwarf Shaman. They sound different from what you'd expect, for sure, but I like what they did with those characters, especially Brad Hawkins.

I'm well aware that "Unique =/= good", but I thought most of the actors did a good job. The dub has its flaws, but the pros outweighed the cons for me. shrug
Toonces

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

I actually didn’t mind dwarf shaman, but I largely agree with everything else you said. Funi dropped the ball with GS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1