• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sonic Co-Creators Express Gratitude to Fans, But Live-Action Film Team Could Be in Tough S

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chao8971

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I wish they'd not bother with a redesign. Sure the thing is ugly, but even if that sonic looked amazing there is no way that movie would be good. That movie looks really bad, and with or without a well designed Sonic the rest of the film won't change.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
At this stage why not just put the film in a box and bury it 50ft below ground.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
When news dropped that they were going to "rework" the character after the trailer dropped, I was one of those naysayers doubting how much they could do and will do with only months before release. I would love to hear the actual logic behind changing the character model that everyone knows for decades to such a weird looking humanoid look.

Why they didn't start changing the model after the blow-back after the reveal, if they are sincere about fixing him, is beyond me. Everyone hated it then as we do now.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Marza didn't do the animation for the redesigned Sonic at all, it was Industrial Light & Magic, which is owned by Disney/Lucasfilm. Marza and Sega just slapped their names on the movie.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I still can't understand why and how the current "character design" was approved to begin with. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
DirtyCircle wrote:

Why they didn't start changing the model after the blow-back after the reveal, if they are sincere about fixing him

The reveal via the leaks (some of which wasn't real) or the reveal being the official trailer release? Cause even then that would be a lot of changes to make within a span of time.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't expect them to, but they should really push the release date back for the animators' sakes. I doubt they'd even generate much of an outcry, since it's not like huge numbers of people are super-hyped for its release.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I absolutely feel for the animators and, honestly, a redesign won't save this film, so I hope they don't make drastic changes.

On the other hand, not directed toward the animators, the design team reap what they sew. You honestly have to wonder how it is that this design got past the drawing board in the first place. I can see why a passionate movie fan might like it to some degree, but a Sonic fan? Like so many movie adaptions before it, passion for the original content seems minimal. At this point, I'm convinced that the ones involved should be familiar with the source material enough to be a fan. Especially if they are adapting an older, universally loved work, they should at least have some personal history with it. Otherwise, there's just too much risk involved in the creation of the work itself.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has done rigging, modeling and animation I wish them luck on such short notice. I do have to wonder if the animation is transferable I had done it in the past with rigs from the same company. With such a short time I hope they can salvage some stuff.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I wonder if they have been sitting on the right model all this time without telling anyone and have been pumping this one out just to get publicity for the film....
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Likely how it really happened...

-Sonic trailer released
-Internet and fans explode
-Sega realizes how much damage this moronic hollywood studio is going to do to the franchise
-Sega calls studio bosses... "WHAT THE #@^@#^%@# ARE YOU IDIOTS DOING?! IF YOU DON'T FIX THIS WE'RE SUING THE PANTS OFF YOU!!"
-Studio bosses summon director for a meeting.
-Director argues for his creative freedom
-Studio bosses show director a big angry man with a bloody baseball bat and imply the fate of the last director who made the same argument
-Director apologizes, commits to fixing Sonic.
-Director frantically buys up copies of Sonic games to figure out how Sonic is supposed to look.
-Director realizes his eggman is not fat.
-Jim Carrey turned into a CGI version of him, this time a giant tub of lard with eggman glasses attached.
-Fans rejoice, Jim Carrey goes back to pretending he's an artist
-Sonic 2 planned, this time studio hires Paul WS Anderson. Every character is turned into his wife Mila.
-Goes on to make a dozen Sonic spinoffs where eventually Mila Sonic has Eggman TuboLard's babies.
-Fans wonder why Anderson keeps getting work
-Anderson finally quits after he checks into a hospital with a hedgehog crammed up his rear by an angry fan.
-Sega goes back to the drawing board, releases classic Sonic games. Tries to make fans forget Milasonic ever existed.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
@ Juno016

Exactly. It is what it is.

At this point, I would just watch it for Jim Carrey with some cheesy dialogue at least.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:20 am Reply with quote
CONSPIRACY THEORY -

Internally they already had discussions about altering the character from test audiences, and have long ago begun tinkering with the character long before the trailer came out.

Things in the trailer are early footage, and why many things looks rough.

The marketing geniuses, desperate to sell, decided to make a controversy out of this by leaking material/putting out the 'bad sonic' trailer early with minimum shots that might've been 'completed' for internal demonstration purposes. And naturally a lot more people are aware of the movie virally due to the bad design than ever would've been.

I really doubt that months before release they will significant put more money into reworking the character in any major way. This leads me to believe that either -
a) Sonic was already planned to have his design changed long before, and this is a marketing stunt.
b) If not, then they'll do the minimal work only on Sonic's face - eyes and mouth. The body stays.

When one thinks about it, I'm guessing that CG sonic doesn't have that much screen time. I'm guessing the bulk of the screen-time are the live action actors and Jim Carrey. Then there are shots where Sonic is in the scene but out of sight (like the gag with him in the bag). Other stuff is just a blue blur running around, and that doesn't have to be changed. So FX-wise, it's possible that only the shots with Sonic as a character on screen with a focus needs to be changed. If it's just the face being edited, then the work could still be done in 6 months (still rushed naturally), but I suspect much of the humanoid face and body is likely due to a fair amount of motion-capture rather than keyframe animation. Could be wrong though...
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder if they have been sitting on the right model all this time without telling anyone and have been pumping this one out just to get publicity for the film....

Why would they do that? When was the last time a film company intentionally released publicity material that they knew was going to look bad and spark backlash? Even if there was one or two examples, I can't think of it happening on a regular basis to make this sound plausible.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
No one is saying that changing the model will be easy... But in comparison to reshoots for actual actors, it is much easier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2