• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fruits Basket Creator Explains Why No One Smokes in New Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Changeman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I would like her to go into more detail about these regulations.

I'm sure this is not something governmental (At the national level) . So is it something imposed by the broadcaster or sponsor?

In One Piece the characters continue smoking. And there are two animes that will debut in July where in the cover appear characters smoking and in the trailer for Given anime, characters have appeared smoking..

My guess. Of all the Japanese cities, Tokyo is the one that fights against cigarettes, and these censors have been happening mainly in TV Tokyo.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, Sanji and Yami are smoking up a storm on their show. I was thinking it an age thing, but Hatori is like 27. Is it because he a doctor? But Sanji is a cook. I don't understand the reason
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
To quote Thank You For Smoking
Quote:
These days, when someone smokes in the movies, they're either a psychopath or a European.
Granted Anime, and by extension Japanese media is different. Yet you could make a similar argument. One Piece unlike Fruits Basket has been on the air since 99, suddenly changing Sanji to a none smoker is different than a new version of something old. A similar argument can be made for Lupin the 3rd.

I can not think of many shows from the last 10 years where a none central character smokes, ACCA is one case, but that was sort of his identity. In Psycho-Pass it was a plot point is one of the few bad things you were still allowed to do.
Changeman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
To quote Thank You For Smoking
Quote:
These days, when someone smokes in the movies, they're either a psychopath or a European.
Granted Anime, and by extension Japanese media is different. Yet you could make a similar argument. One Piece unlike Fruits Basket has been on the air since 99, suddenly changing Sanji to a none smoker is different than a new version of something old. A similar argument can be made for Lupin the 3rd.

I can not think of many shows from the last 10 years where a none central character smokes, ACCA is one case, but that was sort of his identity. In Psycho-Pass it was a plot point is one of the few bad things you were still allowed to do.

Well, the protagonist of Maou-sama Rentry is a compulsive smoker (the anime premieres now in July) and Cop Craft's co-star as well (You can see this in the poster ).

Of course, times have changed, since the early 2000s the cigarette had virtually disappeared from American PG-12 movies and over and several television series of channels like NBC also banned it or greatly decreased.

Japan is lagging behind in this worldwide trend. But there are still many doubts as to why this is so disproportionate in the media in anime. Why do animes that are broadcast in the morning show this (One Piece and Gegege in Kitaro (in this case Cigar), and is censored in One Punch Man and Fruit Basket which are broadcast after midnight?

My guess remains on the issue of the television station. Whoever accompanies the news of Japanese politics knows that the governor of Tokyo started a war against smoking going against the will central government that owns 33% of the Japan cigarette industry, and Tokyo has much tougher measures against smoking than the rest of the Japan. I think this might explain why the animes that suffer from this are mainly from TV Tokyo.

Noitamina Given and Animeism Fire Force show smoking characters in the trailers of their respective anime. And the difference between them and One Punch Man and Fruit Brasket is just the origin Channel.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't even noticed that characters are not smoking in this new adaptation!
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Meanwhile, Sanji and Yami are smoking up a storm on their show. I was thinking it an age thing, but Hatori is like 27. Is it because he a doctor? But Sanji is a cook. I don't understand the reason

A number of Detective Conan characters also smoke.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Fruits Basket 2019, which airs on TV Tokyo, bans smoking, while Black Clover, which also airs on TV Tokyo, shows Yami smoking.

Clearly it's a timeslot issue.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Didn't notice they were missing, and good reasons. Also a pretty tropey character to have smoke, the doctor lol.

I noticed you still don't have the encyclopedia page listed as "1st season" as is plastered all over the official website, twitter, intro screen of the anime, pretty much everywhere official. Even the official Amazon Prime listing for Japan is titled フルーツバスケット 1st season. That is the true official title for this entry. Obviously they'll probably the 2nd one フルーツバスケット 2nd season". I read somewhere that it will be 63 episodes total, so either S2 will be a lot longer or there will be 3 seasons. The blu-rays suggest that the "1st season" will be 24 episodes. (6 volumes with 4 episodes each) https://fruba.jp/blu-ray_dvd_cd/
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Fruits Basket 2019, which airs on TV Tokyo, bans smoking, while Black Clover, which also airs on TV Tokyo, shows Yami smoking.

That or age. Yami is an adult. Isn't Fruits Basket a show about high schoolers? Can't show underage kids smoking. The Naruto anime never showed Shikamaru smoking, just playing with Asuma's lighter.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

That or age. Yami is an adult. Isn't Fruits Basket a show about high schoolers? Can't show underage kids smoking. The Naruto anime never showed Shikamaru smoking, just playing with Asuma's lighter.

The most notable smoker that i remember in Furuba was Hatori, who is 27, age shouldn't be an issue i think
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I assumed it's because the new anime is clearly set in present times (flat screen TVs, etc.) rather than the 1998 manga or 2001 anime. Back then, Japan's smoking rate was a lot higher, about the same level as country like France in the present, and it was still acceptable to smoke out in the open in many public places.

Still, in regards to regulations and TV Tokyo, I do remember Keitaro's aunt in Love Hina had a cigarette in her mouth, but it was never lit, so maybe there are some sort of regulations.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Seems like it was just a choice not to have smoking rather than being forced not to have it.
wewhomustnotbenamed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun was making fun about how alcohol and smoking suddenly forbidden for shoujo magazine years ago when they used soo extensively previously. so the ban on smoking is not that far stretch. it's probably more of demographic and magazine ban if anything.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

Fruits Basket airs at 1:23 (no really) in the morning, while Black Clover airs at 18:25 (6:25 pm, prime family viewing).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Changeman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

It makes no sense to censure something broadcast after midnight and not censor this same thing broadcast at 18:00.

But it's not like there were no weird things in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2