• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Buddhist Temple Installs Picture Scrolls Depicting Historical Figures as Naked Anime Guys

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Uh... what? This is... an interesting approach to getting the attention of younger people.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Those are really beautiful. The clothed one in the corner with the sword reminded me of Namu Amida Butsu! - Rendai Utena. And most are not more naked than Jesus crucifixes. Smile I don't think they'll get too much flack for it.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Buddhism is the most chill religion there is.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
That sure is a headline.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Religion would be so much chiller if they adopted this for everything. Imagine if the priest trying to covert the native when they first showed up came with a bunch of scroll of sexy anime Jesus. Laughing
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Religion would be so much chiller if they adopted this for everything. Imagine if the priest trying to covert the native when they first showed up came with a bunch of scroll of sexy anime Jesus. Laughing

I appreciate the sentiment you're trying to convey, but as an Indigenous person I have to tell you this image is not really cute or amusing. Please don't joke about/make light of 500+ years of genocide and cultural erasure. It's not in play for comedic asides.

This temple artwork looks pretty nice from the shots in the video. It seems pretty "tasteful" and a lot of the pieces don't even seem to feature full nudity (from what I could tell), so it may even be that this won't get as sensationalized as the chief priest appears to anticipate.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:53 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Perhaps, but like any other religion, some of its adherents are less than chill. See the ethnic cleansing in Myanmar, or the Buddhist militants in Sri Lanka among its majority Sinhalese who even hate other Buddhists.

I don't think any religion is immune to becoming violent, because they're all composed of imperfect people, and everyone has their own stories - the ones they've lived, and the ones they believe.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Zeino wrote:

Perhaps, but like any other religion, some of its adherents are less than chill. See the ethnic cleansing in Myanmar, or the Buddhist militants in Sri Lanka among its majority Sinhalese who even hate other Buddhists.

Yep. Buddhism has a history as long and bloody as any. In Japan, several lines of Buddhism aligned themselves with and openly supported the nationalists and imperialists during the Meji-Taisho-early Showa period. During the Edo period, Buddhist temples openly abused their legal monopoly on issuing residency permits and maintaining family registries for extortion and oppression.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:24 am Reply with quote
Buddhists are pragmatic, I'll hand them that. Whatever works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1