• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Luke Cage's Matt Owens to Pen Script for Hollywood One Piece Project

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:51 am Reply with quote
From what I've been hearing One Piece is not the most popular series in America. The manga doesn't rank very high and the way Funimation goes on year-long hiatuses between dubbing episodes tell me it's not a priority series for them. I conclude this is more of the Japanese side pushing for an American adaption; either wanting to get Hollywood recognition or to market it harder in the west. But personally I can't see this working in any capacity. The series just does not work in live-action, and American tastes and standards are going to completely change numerous things in the transition.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love One Piece I don't see this working like at all. Unless it's a borderline parody of these kinds of dramas (One Piece is an extremely goofy series a lot of the time) I can't see it working. I can't help but to wonder if it might end up like that Wonder Woman pilot from several years ago if they do manage to make a pilot at least.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
From what I've been hearing One Piece is not the most popular series in America. The manga doesn't rank very high and the way Funimation goes on year-long hiatuses between dubbing episodes tell me it's not a priority series for them. I conclude this is more of the Japanese side pushing for an American adaption; either wanting to get Hollywood recognition or to market it harder in the west. But personally I can't see this working in any capacity. The series just does not work in live-action, and American tastes and standards are going to completely change numerous things in the transition.

You’re right. According to most interviews, Oda himself was pushing for a LA adaptation and didn’t want it to be done in Japan because he didn’t think they had the budget for it.
LokiReed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Between the amount of money that would have to be put into this series, the length, and the amount of people that would actually be interested in watching it, there's just no way it wouldn't be canceled at some point.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
They should have had Taika Waititi direct the live action One Piece instead of Akira.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Luffy turns in to Mr. Fantastic in the end. Finally, Fantastic Four done right on the big screen.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of the few people, who think that Live Action One Piece could actually work very well.
I imagine it like pirates of the caribbean, where they travel from island to island, there are serious moments and sad moments, but also goofy humor.
If they don't try to make the costumes too close to the manga (like for the deformed/big characters) and use high quality CG for things like Luffy's stretching ability, the fishmen and so on, this could turn out to be a really entertaining pirate adventure series.
And they already confirmed that they will put lots of money into it.

Really looking forward to pictures from the shooting and the first trailer.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

You’re right. According to most interviews, Oda himself was pushing for a LA adaptation and didn’t want it to be done in Japan because he didn’t think they had the budget for it.

I mean that reason is valid.

My only concern is the designs of the characters. Will they make them mostly look human? I just don't see some of the designs translating well on screen.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
My only concern is the designs of the characters. Will they make them mostly look human? I just don't see some of the designs translating well on screen.

Game of Thrones had an insane budget of around 15 million dollars per episode and even the CG monsters like dragons in that show left sometime to be desired. There's zero chance One Piece is getting even half that kind of budget so I expect something like your typical movie designs for super heroes and super villains. Just average people in more realistic outfits with a muted color palette. FIshmen will be humans with some prosthetics and make-up, not enough money for CG like Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Considering there is 0 chance this last long enough to cover the entire series there best bet is to do something completely different and make up their own story. That allows them to avoid the stuff that would be flat out impossible to do like all the okama stuff and more CG heavy designs
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

Game of Thrones had an insane budget of around 15 million dollars per episode and even the CG monsters like dragons in that show left sometime to be desired. There's zero chance One Piece is getting even half that kind of budget so I expect something like your typical movie designs for super heroes and super villains. Just average people in more realistic outfits with a muted color palette. FIshmen will be humans with some prosthetics and make-up, not enough money for CG like Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Considering there is 0 chance this last long enough to cover the entire series there best bet is to do something completely different and make up their own story. That allows them to avoid the stuff that would be flat out impossible to do like all the okama stuff and more CG heavy designs

It’s allegedly getting $10 million an episode. For whatever insane reason, the producer has claimed he wants a budget equal to Dem Thrones, claiming it could be the most expensive TV production IN HISTORY.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
There are few things I would call unadaptable to live action but the manga actually managed that after about a decade. I would love for this to be a financial success just to see Hollywood struggle to bring a straight-faced giraffe man battle come to life. The pre-Red Line stuff should be fairly manageable though. Those Pirates sequels are easily much more insane.

Luke Cage S02 was well written. I´ll give the man that much. His other script output though... eh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:52 am Reply with quote
For sure you are right i think new episode will be great
zetsuie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:54 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
AntiKuro wrote:

That is because of the cast which have very high salaries. An episode of friends back in 2002 was over 6 million. Overall budget doesnt mean it all gets spent on production.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
Continuing to make these picks random, and without logic. Just hire the peeps behind Deadpool and Amazon Prime’s The Boys. Problem solved.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

The Diamond Is Unbreakable LA movie must've put the fear of death in him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2