• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - My 5 Favorite Anime Works by Kyoto Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fullmetal Archivist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:07 pm Reply with quote
My top picks of KyoAni are:

1. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, this comedy started out being weird and funny but grew into a story about what it means to be family. I really enjoy media that focuses on the family angle, especially when it's a bunch of misfits that come together and form one. While I would have loved this as a comedy on it's own it really becomes something bigger that I can truly appreciate. I also really like the friendships that are made between the characters (Faf-kun and Takiya have one of the best friendships I've seen) and it gave me a fun character to cosplay as, Lucoa.
2. Clannad/Clannad After Story, this anime has made me cry more than any pieces of media ever. The raw emotions I get from this and seeing a man learn to find his footing so he can support his family really pulls at my heartstrings. The episode where he make up with his daughter makes me cry TWICE during the episode.
3. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, every year around Christmas time I make a point to try to watch this movie. It is one of the best movies ever, not just one of the best anime movies. The animation is spectacular, the story is great, it keeps you guessing, and it fixes one of the issues I had with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. You see, I never bought that Kyon really didn't like any aspects regarding the supernatural and the adventures they pull him into. This movie makes him admit that he really finds his life more interesting with those aspects in them which, in turn, made me mentally scream, "Yes, you idiot, you do love these adventures! Now go safe your world!"
4. Full Metal Panic Fumofu, the series Full Metal Panic is one that I got into with my brother. I remember watching this (and the regular Full Metal Panic) when I first was getting into anime. I have a lot of fond memories bonding with my brother watching this and laughing at the crazy adventures Sousuke and Kaname get into. My brother still sometimes calls me Sousuke.
5. K-ON, I still need to finish it but I think it is my favorite show of cute girls doing cute things. I think that is because the girls are really passionate about music. The animation is great, the girls' personalities really play off of each other, and the music is good too.

I really hope we get a list soon to see who is still with us and who has passed away. I would really like to give my condolences to the individuals and their families.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
TV Shows:
Haruhi
Nichijou
Hyouka
Amagi Brilliant Park
Violet Evergarden

Movies
Disappearance of Haruhi
A Silent Voice
Tamako Love Story
Liz and the Blue Bird
K-ON the Movie

Kyoani means so much to me. I've seen almost all their shows, and have loved them all over the years.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan

Here's something that I forgotten that I had downloaded:

https://inboundmarketingsummit.com/i-miss-you-quotes/

EDIT: Forgot the below.

https://thegrieftoolbox.com/artwork/how-talk-bereaved#.Ud3dlcXdAvA.facebook
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The show introduced me to two new things that had never really clicked before and helped ease me in to expanding my entertainment tastes. I learned that even if I am not (nor have I ever been) athletic, I could get really invested in a game when it's shown with the proper intensity. I also learned that if BL series has the right kind of personalities, I could get invested in those romances, too. I ended up trying out a lot of anime I'd ignored do to preconceptions that I just wouldn't like it. Finally, Free! felt like a show specifically made for me, the female demo. It's not that KyoAni's other works weren't appealing, but Free! felt like "yes, this fanservice IS for you" and that was it's own special little moment.

It's more like "how I loved yaoi" than "why Free is one of my favorite shows," lol. However, even if in fact Free's baiting is extremely far from a real LGBT show, I don’t see anything wrong with this if it helped someone realize that they really are into BL stuff.

Personally, I like the fact that being actually one of the first mainstream shoujo ecchi shows, the controversy surrounding it perfectly showed the hypocrisy of many people when it comes to fully female-focused fanservice. I still see people complaining about ecchi in this show just because the erotic content in it shows guys, not girls.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
WOW! This whole thing is just sad. A tragedy beyond belief. My heart goes out to the victims. I didn't know KyoAni was involved with 'A Silent Voice' or Clannad.

I'd say my favorite works so far would be Nichijou. Even though I haven't watched it, but I know I'd like it since I liked 'Lucky Star'. This is really sad. And I'm really disgusted at the media exploiting the tragedy. On a hot summer weekend, that just angered me. I'm glad that fans whether they agree with each other's views or not came together and paid respects.
poltroon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Just so tragic. I can't imagine the loss - not only the deaths but the great disability that the survivors will face. It is heartbreaking to realize how much talent will never draw another frame.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Tsurune, about a high school archery team. I can't say whether or not it ranks as a top 5 but it was a beautifully animated show that I very much enjoyed, and well worth the time IMHO.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:

One that hasn't been mentioned is Tsurune, about a high school archery team. I can't say whether or not it ranks as a top 5 but it was a beautifully animated show that I very much enjoyed, and well worth the time IMHO.

Tsurune is a solid series; I think it just gets overlooked because of the standards of its predecessors (especially the hype surrounding Violet Evergarden). It's just not as "stand-out" of a production, but in a different environment I bet it would be.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
It's so hard to process this tragedy, and any time I try to say something, it feels like my words are so insufficient that it's pointless, maybe even selfish, to try.

Terrible things happen all the time, I know that. And it feels kind of narrow-minded of me that this one hits me so hard when so many other awful things happen around the world, every day.

But that doesn't change how personal this all hits me. And I think the way to honor KyoAni isn't by trying to downplay my sadness for this one particular disaster. It's to try and expand my empathy to be more mindful about the other tragedies that happen, to keep them in my thoughts, and to do what I can (limited and insufficient though that might be) to try and make things a little better where I can.

I have no idea if that's what any of the victims of this terrible crime would want, but it's a message that their beautiful shows helped cultivate inside me. That a little attention and love for the simplest, everyday things can be beautiful. That excitement and adventure can be found even in dorky, everyday things, that those things can be sublime. That it's okay to love just because it makes you happy, and that sharing that love with others can make you a better person.

I don't know, this is sappy as hell, but KyoAni, this weab is thinking of you. Thank you so much, and I cry and love for you.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Terrible things happen all the time, I know that. And it feels kind of narrow-minded of me that this one hits me so hard when so many other awful things happen around the world, every day.

Believe me, I understand this. I tend to avoid a lot of news coverage specifically because of how messed-up a lot of current events are, and it's exhausting. Frankly, I've resigned myself to the fact that many ongoing issues can't and won't change any time soon.
This news, however, blindsided me; and as a fan of anime/animation who's aspiring to be some sort of artist myself, this news is heartbreaking in a way I personally haven't felt in a long time. This simply shouldn't have happened, and we never could have expected it to happen.
As you say, though, maybe there's something to learn from this. Maybe there's an example to follow in the empathy and tenderness conveyed through KyoAni's shows. It's food for thought, at least.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
1. Full Metal Panic, especially TSR
2. Haruhi, especially Disappearance
3. Sound! Euphonium
4. Hyouka
5. Kanon
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3