• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested on Suspicion of Uploading One Piece Manga to Mangamura Piracy Site

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theilikepie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:29 am Reply with quote
Japan really needs to get is priorities straight
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
Piracy in Japan still keep going to this day. Jesus, when Japan is going to get some a bit rest for cracking the pirated people?
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:14 am Reply with quote
So piracy actually exist in Japan? Insert "ah sh!t, here we go again" meme.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The association estimated that this caused 319.2 billion yen (about US$2.92 billion) worth of damage to copyright holders in Japan during that time.

You know, their efforts would garner a lot more sympathy if their announcements didn't always come attached with such fantasy numbers. By now everyone and their mother must know those numbers are pure hogwash...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
The association estimated that this caused 319.2 billion yen (about US$2.92 billion) worth of damage to copyright holders in Japan during that time.

You know, their efforts would garner a lot more sympathy if their announcements didn't always come attached with such fantasy numbers. By now everyone and their mother must know those numbers are pure hogwash...

When dividing 319,200 million yen by 620 million accounts, that averages about 514 yen per person, or approximately one volume of Japanese manga.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
When dividing 319,200 million yen by 620 million accounts, that averages about 514 yen per person, or approximately one volume of Japanese manga.

First, it is not 'accounts' but 'views'. there's your first mistake.

Second, it is also more than the revenue for Japan manga industry physical and digital sales combined for any given time duration.;
Quote:
According to Japan's Content Overseas Distribution Association (CODA), between September 2017 and February 2018*, users accessed Mangamura about 620 million times. The association estimated that this caused 319.2 billion yen (about US$2.92 billion) worth of damage to copyright holders in Japan during that time.
*six months
Quote:
The All Japan Magazine and Book Publisher's and Editor's Association (AJPEA) released a report on February 25 that estimated that physical and digital manga sales increased by 1.9% in 2018. The market totaled 441.4 billion yen (about US$3.96 billion) in 2018, compared to 433.0 billion yen (about US$3.88 billion) in 2017.

Globally, manga is not that mainstream. To expect those numbers to turn real with the slash of a single site IS fantasy...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
Okay, so instead of saying one view = one book, let's do one view=one page. The average tankoubon runs about 120-200 pages, so 620 million views is about 4 million books, times the average price for a book puts us at around 2 billion yen for the span listed thus 4 billion yen for a full year, which is approximately 1% of all sales assuming the two numbers are comparable.

Considering how thin profit margins usually are for Japanese products, I'm not sure that even 1% loss wouldn't be tolerated. But of course the real question is when did you register for Mangamura.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
Why is it always One Piece that gets internet pirates in trouble with the law? I'm guessing the irony of the situation.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Probably because OP is so popular worldwide.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Imagine if Youtubers got arrested for copyright infringement.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:55 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Imagine if Youtubers got arrested for copyright infringement.

I don't see why they would unless it was just one of those videos where they just show the whole episode in a small box in the corner to avoid the copyright detection. Commentary and showing snippets isn't illegal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1