• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The Top 5 Shinichiro Watanabe Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:02 pm Reply with quote
The "American Idol" part Carole ruined it's chances of being legendary, honestly. And half the show just feels like advertisements for the artists. Latest arc hasn't been too bad but it would really need to do something amazing to be truly memorable. In the end I think he's more of a "one"-hit wonder. A lot of good shows but Bebop will likely be the only one people really talk about for decades to come
leongsh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
As much as Cowboy Bebop is lauded in the Western anime fandom, it is a dud in Japan anime consideration.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Shinichiro Watanabe is the kinda stuff that feels like "anime made for westerners". While it is accessible for non-anime fans I still feel like its adherence to Western aesthetic constraints keeps it from attaining its full potential. The last one, Carole & Tuesday feels so westernized with its full English language soundtrack that it felt like something Netflix made for a Western audience instead of being made for a Japanese audience. Reminds me of Cannon Busters, an American comic book that was adapted into anime.

leongsh wrote:
As much as Cowboy Bebop is lauded in the Western anime fandom, it is a dud in Japan anime consideration.

A Japanese aniota told me Cowboy Bebop is well regarded in Japan, comparable in popularity to Planetes. But it is not a national treasure like EVA for instance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:

Not really. If it was, I highly doubt that American video sales enough would have encouraged the production of Knockin' on Heaven's Door, which was released in September 1, 2001, which is just before the American tv release.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
So, Space Dandy qualifies as a Watanabe anime? Wasn't he like a project supervisor for that one?

My 5 favorite Watanabe shows are:

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Kids on the Slope
3. Samurai Champloo
4. Terror in Resonance
5. Carole & Tuesday

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
So, Space Dandy qualifies as a Watanabe anime? Wasn't he like a project supervisor for that one?

I think it's easy to get in the weeds on exact credits, but his creative vision was absolutely the driving force behind that show. He was the one who showed up to help promote it in the US - and his signature thumbprint artist tendencies are all over it.

It was promoted here very heavily as being "From The Creator of Cowboy Bebop".
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:

This is often repeated in western fandom, and has been repeatedly debunked, yet it will not die. Cowboy Bebop was not initially a big hit in Japan, but it sold well, over 10K copies per volume upon initial Japanese release. And the Japanese blu-ray box released about about 15 years after its initial release sold close to 20,000 copies. Forgotten, unpopular series do not sell anywhere near that well.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:

A little surprised people are still saying this, in 2019. I thought it was a long debunked rumor. Bebop was very popular in Japan. It even got a Japan exclusive cafe event last year to celebrate its twentieth anniversary. It's actually the third biggest selling pre-2000 anime, surpassed only by Gundam (original), and of course, Evangelion.

It is not as massively popular in the west, as its probably the most acclaimed anime of all time here, but it's definitely big.

Regarding the actual list; poor Kids on the Slope and Zankyou no Terror. They're his only full length shows (as in, not a short film) that didn't make the list. I love Carole and Tuesday and have been watching it from the first episode, but I think it's very early to put it as high as number two, especially considering the rocky Mar's Brightest arc.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Carole & Tuesday is not better than Samurai Champloo. Stop it.
MiiyoSon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I think he's more of a "one"-hit wonder. A lot of good shows but Bebop will likely be the only one people really talk about for decades to come

WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!! Elaborate on this "One-hit Wonder" claim for me please because I find it hard to believe that a director that can make quality after quality show is a "One-Hit Wonder" especially when his follow up after Bebop was Samurai Champloo which many also consider a classic.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I think my top order for Watanabe series that I've watched (still have not seen Samurai Champloo or Kids on the Slope yet):

5. Baby Blue (Genius Party)
4. Carole & Tuesday (until at least the second half comes out, which could easily move it up)
3. Macross Plus OVAs
2. Space Dandy
1. Cowboy Bebop

Honestly though, the only work of his I really didn't care for was Terror in Resonance, so its hard for me to look at anyone's order and be surprised.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Shinichiro Watanabe is the kinda stuff that feels like "anime made for westerners". While it is accessible for non-anime fans I still feel like its adherence to Western aesthetic constraints keeps it from attaining its full potential.

While I agree that Shin'ichiro Watanabe's oeuvre has things that particularly appeal to Westerners compared to some anime, I don't believe that in any ways "keeps it from attaining its full potential," at least in an artistic sense. If you mean that it may limit the audience in Japan, I don't think that's quite true either.His artistic vision simply does involve things that appeal to and reference Western aesthetics, and not doing so would be limiting and keep his anime from reaching its full potential.

People (in Japan, sometimes) have made the same criticism about Masaaki Yuasa (notably influenced by a long line of Western animation starting with Tex Avery), about Mamoru Oshii (highly, highly influenced by European cinema), about Shirow Masamune.

I'd compare the situation more to say, Haruki Murakami, who is certainly successful in Japan, but whose books travel much more successfully outside of Japan than equally successful literary authors.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
leongsh wrote:

A little surprised people are still saying this, in 2019. I thought it was a long debunked rumor. Bebop was very popular in Japan. It even got a Japan exclusive cafe event last year to celebrate its twentieth anniversary. It's actually the third biggest selling pre-2000 anime, surpassed only by Gundam (original), and of course, Evangelion.
I have a link for that for anyone interested.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Carole & Tuesday doesn't hold a candle to Sakamichi no Apollon. There's no scene in C&T that comes even close to this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHJntLYMh0
Axbox360

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Carole & Tuesday doesn't hold a candle to Sakamichi no Apollon. There's no scene in C&T that comes even close to this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHJntLYMh0

Meh. C&T has many different genres of music at least.

The mermaid sister’s > that kids on the slope scene
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3