• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Hey Everybody It's Tuesday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BirdyTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the Bombcast reference Zac.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I've been following Lynzee's coverage of the whole court debacle and I'm so sorry you had to go through all that harassment for just doing your job. Its completely unfair and I hope everything ends sooner rather than later so you can move on to brighter things.

I really liked Carole & Tuesday, although I do think things dragged a bit in the X-Factor arc (and it still probably dragged even less binge-watching vs week to week). The music and characters were good enough that I didn't really care as much as I should honestly. It was weird actually watching the show after already knowing all the songs (the whole first soundtrack is on Spotify, iTunes, etc...). Regarding Cybelle, her song and character design were just too good for her creepy, stalker character that it just made me sad haha. I do wonder how the plot is going to change up in the second half, but waiting 3-6 months for that last half is not going to be an easy task.

Also, not going to lie, not a huge fan of the prevalent practice (not just here on ANN, and I'm not trying to call out the guest specifically - I enjoyed hearing her on the podcast!) of having a disclaimer every time someone mentions they watched the dub. Its always either starts with "dubs are normally super cringe-y but don't worry, this one's actually good for once guys," or "I had other things to do so I resorted to keeping the dub on." Carole & Tuesday has a good dub, but I feel like that's not really that unique nowadays? I did disagree with some of the casting choices, but the ADR Director has only directed a film prior, so its success is still an accomplishment. Plus, I think the benefit of having the songs and dialogue in the same language is a good enough reason to overlook those nitpicks.
cheesechimp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:00 am Reply with quote
I disagree with Lynzee's assertion that It Chapter Two's problem was that it tried to adapt the book too closely. The whole Ritual of Chud thing actually plays out pretty differently in the movie than it did in the book. In the book it wasn't a Native American thing, there was no finding artifacts of their childhoods, there was no weird leather lampshade. It's even crazier nonsense because it's an astral projection mind battle that a space turtle tells them about through psychic messages. Reasonable of the Tim Curry version to cut it, but this version tried its best to make it more palatable.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:19 am Reply with quote
Don't forget the tongue biting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Gonna ignore the obvious bait in the room.

Lets talk the good stuff and the bad stuff.

Netflix needs to stop putting good anime in jail and not promoting it.
Carole and Tuesday is great but i can't agree with any context saying it's playing things safe. The show goes out of its way to make people notice things in and out of their comfort zone and uses music at the catalyst for a greater message of unity.

Also favorite songs thus far in no real order

Bulldog Anthem - OG Bulldog
    Galactic Mermaid - Mermaid Sisters
    Light Go Out - DJ Ertegun Ft. Angela
    Crash the Server - Ezekiel
    Move Mountains - Angela
    Whispering My Love - Carole and Tuesday
    Unbreakable - Crystal
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Carole and Tuesday is great but i can't agree with any context saying it's playing things safe. The show goes out of its way to make people notice things in and out of their comfort zone and uses music at the catalyst for a greater message of unity.

The message "people, live together in peace" is a rather old stock message and I don’t think that it is something radical, too brave or takes people out of their comfort zone. I didn’t listen to the podcast itself, but if I understood everything correctly and the presenters call this a safe message, then they are quite right.

In any case, I don’t think that Watanabe’s goal was to make some kind of “bold” political statement or even argue with someone. Rather, it is a message that people can live peacefully within the framework of a single, friendly society, even being different in one sense or another.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
TexZero wrote:

The message "people, live together in peace" is a rather old stock message and I don’t think that it is something radical, too brave or takes people out of their comfort zone. I didn’t listen to the podcast itself, but if I understood everything correctly and the presenters call this a safe message, then they are quite right.

In any case, I don’t think that Watanabe’s goal was to make some kind of “bold” political statement or even argue with someone. Rather, it is a message that people can live peacefully within the framework of a single, friendly society, even being different in one sense or another.

I know the "people need to live in peace together" is old. But very few shows tackle it in as blatant a manner as having a Momma Trump and Openly progressive views. Many modern shows that do this are still stuck back in the 1950's when it comes to not only addressing each cast member but also how each character interacts with the world at large. To say Watanabe wasn't trying to make a political statement is....well off. It's secondary story arc is all about how warping politics can be on people and the almost absurd decisions that it can lead people to taking.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

I know the "people need to live in peace together" is old. But very few shows tackle it in as blatant a manner as having a Momma Trump and Openly progressive views. Many modern shows that do this are still stuck back in the 1950's when it comes to not only addressing each cast member but also how each character interacts with the world at large. To say Watanabe wasn't trying to make a political statement is....well off. It's secondary story arc is all about how warping politics can be on people and the almost absurd decisions that it can lead people to taking.

This Japanese show, much of what is considered progressive and bold in Western culture, is often quite openly discussed in the media in Japan. For example, while Western shows were scared of gays as fire, Sailor Moon openly portrayed lesbian and gay relationships without even trying to be political. This does not mean that “hey, this is not serious” or something like that. The Japanese know how to be political when they want to, which you can see for yourself by watching the embarrassing right-wing Mahouka and Gate, or the criticism of queerbaiting in Yuri Kuma Arashi.

Perhaps this show seems more openly political because of its "imitation" of those Western tropes, which in modern Western culture are already strongly associated with political statements, but personally I clearly see in this show the social ideological component, and not the political one. Perhaps we put different meanings in the word "political" and if so, then this is normal, but while Youjo Senki openly says that war doesn't resolve the contradiction, and only lays the seeds of new ones, or when Darling in the Franxx compares the growing hostility to marriage with attitudes towards minorities in the past, C&T message is quite safe.

The question is not whether some shows are better or worse, for example, Franxx undoubtedly ruin almost everything that is possible thanks to their idiotic final arc, but that C&T is not trying to motivate the discussion or raise the question with an edge, it just says “it would be nice if we lived in peace despite differences". Well, yeah, that would be a good idea, but it's a standard social commentary that doesn't have any conflict at a time when not-so-nice-people like racists or homophobes are obviously condemned by society.

Perhaps something will change in connection with the cross-cutting theme of migrants in the show, I do not know, but at the moment, my personal opinion is that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1