• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Vinland Saga Creator: Episode 11's TV Version is Cut, Full Version is on Amazon Prime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it is like a 4kids edit, where someone goes to attack and then you see the aftermath of the attack or fit hey just cut out an entire fight scene.
Echii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
So only episode 11 was cut ??

I hope they did not cut anything from earlier episodes
Changeman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I did not understand. Was the episode simply censored on TV or was the viewing time shortened?

Because the previous episodes aired on the NHK channel were quite violent.
Changeman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
I did not understand. Was the episode simply censored on TV or was the viewing time shortened?

Because the previous episodes aired on the NHK channel were quite violent.

Quote:
I wonder if it is like a 4kids edit, where someone goes to attack and then you see the aftermath of the attack or fit hey just cut out an entire fight scene.

LOL Bro, not that. I've watched the previous episodes that were aired on the NHK channel, and the Amazon version and it's pretty much the same. Unfortunately I haven't watched the ep 11 release yet, so I was curious.

ps: I watch both versions. Strangely enough, never before had NHK censored so much an episode of Viland Saga. There were even two scenes that were deleted, one with Torkey dismembering various warriors and the other scene was about people dying burned.

very strange that.

Jojo Part 5 had much more violent scenes (episode 19 and 20 as examples that went smoothly on TV).

Last edited by Changeman on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I really wish streaming versions would also get rid of the "Paka-checker" crap. It's super distracting and destroys the immersive feeling I get during action scenes. It doesn't even actually protect people from seizures, which is what I read is the purpose. I like how video games handle it anyway, with a simple seizure warning before the product begins.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I watched it on Amazon Prime last night. My guess it would be the flying heads and body parts. Thorkell's axe is a wonder. It was a bloody episode, so not sure which bloody scene was edited. Since the creator used the word edit, doesn't sound like there was visual censoring. Sounds more like it was edited for content (censored by another name), by cutting the offending scenes out. Really it is hit or miss on stuff like this in Japan. They blurred Homura's crushed foot in the original PMMM TV series. If they did that for Vinland Saga, the producers would probably have to give the Vikings, NERF weapons.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
My guess is they probably cut alot of the scenes showing the soldiers on fire because of the KyoAni tragedy.
HannoX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
My guess is they probably cut alot of the scenes showing the soldiers on fire because of the KyoAni tragedy.

That is my guess also.
Changeman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I watched it on Amazon Prime last night. My guess it would be the flying heads and body parts. Thorkell's axe is a wonder. It was a bloody episode, so not sure which bloody scene was edited. Since the creator used the word edit, doesn't sound like there was visual censoring. Sounds more like it was edited for content (censored by another name), by cutting the offending scenes out. Really it is hit or miss on stuff like this in Japan. They blurred Homura's crushed foot in the original PMMM TV series. If they did that for Vinland Saga, the producers would probably have to give the Vikings, NERF weapons.

But if we are talking about heads being cut, the scenes on Drifters were much more violent and were broadcast without problem on the Tokyo MX channel.

Well, I just found it strange these cuts since the two versions were the same and out of the blue, there are these changes.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

But if we are talking about heads being cut, the scenes on Drifters were much more violent and were broadcast without problem on the Tokyo MX channel.

Tokyo MX and NHK are very different. One is a privately-backed channel and the other is public funded TV that has very different programming regulations.

As this isn't the first time there were decapitations in Vinland Saga, I'm guessing there were complaints lodged against the program so edits were made to prevent further complaints.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Really hard to see how this episode differed from the others. Blood and gore have characterized this series from the outset. There have been scenes where droplets of blood are scattered in the direction of the camera like raindrops. Perhaps it was the burning men though their agony was better expressed in the dialogue than in the visuals.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1