• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Promised Neverland Manga Takes 1-Week Break So Authors Can Do Research

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hollow Shrine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
Aki_Leaves

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
The Promised Neverland is the definition of disappointment and wasted potential. It started going down hill after the first arc and I stopped liking it completely after the time skip. I really wish it stayed a horror/mystery series instead of going off the rails with battle shonen demon fights, rushed plot points, magical "promises" and Emma''s increasingly irritating power of love "killing demons is wrong!" BS.

One of the few things I was looking forward to was a flashback arc detailing spoiler[Norman's time in Lambda 7214 and his eventual escape.] But nope, the manga is wrapping up and demon politics are more important. We probably won't even get a proper liberation of Gracefield arc because Emma and co need to fight a Lovecraftian monstrosity in some demon palace instead.

So frustrated with this, I hope season 2 is canned.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Aki_Leaves wrote:
The Promised Neverland is the definition of disappointment and wasted potential. It started going down hill after the first arc and I stopped liking it completely after the time skip. I really wish it stayed a horror/mystery series instead of going off the rails with battle shonen demon fights, rushed plot points, magical "promises" and Emma''s increasingly irritating power of love "killing demons is wrong!" BS.

One of the few things I was looking forward to was a flashback arc detailing spoiler[Norman's time in Lambda 7214 and his eventual escape.] But nope, the manga is wrapping up and demon politics are more important. We probably won't even get a proper liberation of Gracefield arc because Emma and co need to fight a Lovecraftian monstrosity in some demon palace instead.

If they're not included that 'battle shonen' thing, it would've be ''UnShonen'' by today's shonen manga/anime standarts. TRUTH
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Aki_Leaves wrote:

Hoping the second season is canned is a little intense.

I really enjoyed the Goldy Pond arc and think the animation staff will do justice to it. They already managed to elevate the compelling material of the introduction arc. So I have confident that they’ll do the same again.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:12 pm Reply with quote
"Research"

They gonna go spend some time in the Demon World studying the culture huh
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Aki_Leaves wrote:
Emma''s increasingly irritating power of love "killing demons is wrong!" BS.

It is wrong to genocide a race of beings, the demons are not evil.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Sooooo are Ray and Emma a thing yet? Always thought they'd get together..
NezumiVA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeesh, genuinely don't understand people who act like the empathy is bringing this series down. I've loved it through and through, and that whole collectivist angle is kind of the point, if you've been paying any attention!

Plus yeah, generally, I'd say it's pretty troubling to see how many people think Emma should just be complacent with genocide, but hey, whatever.

I still maintain that TPN is excellent, and as a manga, this attitude of cold pragmatism never being preferable to collectivism is specifically what this story is meant to push. People who hate on Emma are totally the types of people this story is made to refute.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
NezumiVA wrote:
Yeesh, genuinely don't understand people who act like the empathy is bringing this series down. I've loved it through and through, and that whole collectivist angle is kind of the point, if you've been paying any attention!

Plus yeah, generally, I'd say it's pretty troubling to see how many people think Emma should just be complacent with genocide, but hey, whatever.

I still maintain that TPN is excellent, and as a manga, this attitude of cold pragmatism never being preferable to collectivism is specifically what this story is meant to push. People who hate on Emma are totally the types of people this story is made to refute.

Excellently put. While I do think the series is out of its prime and has been that way for some time, I still maintain that it’s a competent series with a lot of heart.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:08 am Reply with quote
damn, I really wish that twelve year old girl would just chill out and commit genocide already :/ /s

more seriously though, I've been really enjoying this final arc! The tension is really amping up so I'm excited to see whatever it is they've got in the works
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:55 am Reply with quote
Also known as, sleeping.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:33 am Reply with quote
I think The Promised Neverland is one of the best series in Shonen Jump right now. My only complaint about the latest arc is that it seems to be going too fast; certain aspects of the plot seem to be wrapping up too easily. I love the empathy angle, though I think some of it’s detractors might be more convinced if it didn’t seem like it doesn’t allow for even killing in self defense.

NezumiVA wrote:

Can you explain what you mean by “collectivism “ in this context?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1