• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece Stampede Film Director Approves of Funimation's English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Didn’t Japan vote for the English cast, though?
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Didn’t Japan vote for the English cast, though?

Vote? Never heard that, just that Oda played a big part in the cast selection.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

According to one of the dub voice actors he did, but at the same time I'm not sure if there were many actors to choose from to begin with given the overlapping of actos found in a lot of Funimation dubs.
Florete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for dub haters to say "But they're Japanese, they can't judge English voice acting properly!"
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I also heard from Cherami Leigh, that Naoko Takeuchi looked over and approved of the cast of the Viz Sailor Moon Dub.
TheLineOfSight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I know what the Director means. Some of the English translations in the dub felt more powerful especially Luffy's fight winning line in Stampede.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Awwww how sweet.

Makes me want to watch both English & Japanese dubs to notice the differences he’s talking about.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
Go Nagai chose Jessica Calvello as Honey for the New Cutey Honey dub back in the late 90s which made her return in Sentai's Cutie Honey Universe dub that much better than the dub announcement itself.

Deoxy360 wrote:
I also heard from Cherami Leigh, that Naoko Takeuchi looked over and approved of the cast of the Viz Sailor Moon Dub.

This was confirmed by Viz back in 2014 plus one of the Blu-ray extras had a short bit of footage of one of Toei's reps (I believe from their Los Angeles branch) shown during a recording session.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Go Nagai chose Jessica Calvello as Honey for the New Cutey Honey dub back in the late 90s which made her return in Sentai's Cutie Honey Universe dub that much better than the dub announcement itself.
I also recall Ikuhara specifically cast Rachael Lillis in the Utena dub.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote
Kinda funny in a way, wonder if they decided to work closer with Funimation on the voice cast after the 4Kids dub flopped. I'd be tickled to find out that Oda himself also approved of 4Kids Sanji.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Kinda funny in a way, wonder if they decided to work closer with Funimation on the voice cast after the 4Kids dub flopped. I'd be tickled to find out that Oda himself also approved of 4Kids Sanji.

To be fair Toriyama also endorsed Dragon Ball Evolution at the time and even went so far to say that "it might be a masterpiece". I always take comments like the Japanese side approved of something with a huge grain of salt. A creator is often not going to call an adaption of their work garbage when it's in production and making them money. Razz At the end of the day it's all just PR to help drum up sales and hype. After all this tweet wasn't posted on the original Japanese Toei account, just the American-run English one currently promoting the film in theaters.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:11 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

To be fair Toriyama also endorsed Dragon Ball Evolution at the time and even went so far to say that "it might be a masterpiece". I always take comments like the Japanese side approved of something with a huge grain of salt.
It could just be them trying to be polite, like how James Cameron praised Genisys.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:04 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Deoxy360 wrote:

This was confirmed by Viz back in 2014 plus one of the Blu-ray extras had a short bit of footage of one of Toei's reps (I believe from their Los Angeles branch) shown during a recording session.

Didn't the creators of FLCL also pick out the dub cast for that show?
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

It's been stated that Toei has been very involved with the FUNimation dub (more so than they would with most other series) since they got it, likely due to what happened with the 4kids dub. Oda had the final decision on the straw hats, while Toei makes decisions on the other major characters. Toei also look over certain translations; for example FUNimation were initially going to go with Sogeking, but Toei made them change it to Sniper King.

I doubt Oda ever had anything to do with the 4kids dub tbh. It very much seems that Toei probably just let 4kids do whatever they wanted due to their success with series like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!. I think before, Toei didn't care what they do to their shows (so the creator's aren't involved), due to how successful some dubs can be (even if they're butchered), but after the 4kids One Piece dub, Toei now much more involved in anything that is dubbed.
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I doubt Oda ever had anything to do with the 4kids dub tbh. It very much seems that Toei probably just let 4kids do whatever they wanted due to their success with series like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!. I think before, Toei didn't care what they do to their shows (so the creator's aren't involved), due to how successful some dubs can be (even if they're butchered), but after the 4kids One Piece dub, Toei now much more involved in anything that is dubbed.

The stories that I've heard about 4Kids and One Piece is that they bought in a package of different anime series. They had no idea what they were bidding on. And Toei was looking at it from a marketing point as well since 4kids had Yu-Gi-Oh! And Pokemon at the time, so that was promoting it's merch and doing extremely well at the time.

I'm 90% sure about the Package part, but I can't remember the Toei details fully.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2