• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Retelling Torture of Muslim Woman in China Goes Viral

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpanthony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:58 pm Reply with quote
This is so horrible to read about, I appreciate the courage of the artist and victim for coming forward with the account. Definitely going to try to make a donation to victim support agencies and share the comic.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the things that make you really angry.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

And makes you hate the government that condones this, but to remember to not hate all Chinese people for what those in charge are doing
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

And makes you hate the government that condones this, but to remember to not hate all Chinese people for what those in charge are doing

And I wholeheartedly thank you for this mentality. I was born in Liaoling province (the northeast region, in border with North Korea), China; and the city I lived has multiple minority ethnicity, including descendants with Japanese, Russian and Korean (mostly south korean) blood, and we live very peacefully, the local schools even encourage all students to respect each other's practices and religions, and even sharing festivals that aren't rooted in local history.

Each Chinese province is very different in terms of how much freedom state government has, and I certainly can say that at least in north and middle regions of China, where I live shortly and witness myself firsthand before moving to United States, does respect minority ethnicity and embrace them with open arms like "salad bowl concept" (then again, those areas are mostly urban and I can't say much to the relatively rural areas due to lack of exposure)
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:25 am Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:

That is very true.
And while we're at it: this is also something very good to keep in mind when you vote in your own country. The Chinese government is not the only one guilty of abuses against its own people. People in positions of authority using that power to oppress people they don't like happens worldwide. This particular article happens to be about China, but the oppression of minorities has happened, and will continue to happen, everywhere on the planet. Don't think that this kind of thing doesn't happen in your or my country either, both past and present.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote
Thank you so much for this article on an important and infuriating topic. It's important that the word gets out about this atrocity against human rights.

But I have a quibble: I highly doubt the inmates would pray to Xi Jinping. Even if the Party's personality cult is getting extreme, it's still officially an atheist party and would never encourage the deification of its leader. Sure enough, the original manga says they "prayed for the Chairman's long life."
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:33 am Reply with quote
The brutal oppression of the Uigher people in China right now is absolutely horrific. I don’t know what kind of international pressure other governments would be willing to try to put on China to make it clear that these human rights abuses aren’t sanctioned—it seems that the U.S., the EU, etc are either too busy with other crises, don’t want to threaten a stable economic situation with sanctions, or any number of other complex reasons for keeping quiet. That said, I’m glad she was able to get asylum. Way too many people aren’t.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Note that the west actually is not super opposed to this hell even plenty of Muslim countries (including west aligned) said China can do whatever
Tsuna X

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Respects to the author for highlighting this issue. I also respect ANN for actually addressing this kind of thing, I don't really expect that from news outlets anymore
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The brutal oppression of the Uigher people in China right now is absolutely horrific. I don’t know what kind of international pressure other governments would be willing to try to put on China to make it clear that these human rights abuses aren’t sanctioned—it seems that the U.S., the EU, etc are either too busy with other crises, don’t want to threaten a stable economic situation with sanctions, or any number of other complex reasons for keeping quiet. That said, I’m glad she was able to get asylum. Way too many people aren’t.

China is on the U.N. Security Council. They're one of the permanent members. Any resolution of any kind which infringes on Chinese sovereignty would be vetoed by China. And assuming the rest of the Security Council decided to simply abandon the U.N. framework and directly intervene in China, you'd be delivering your armed forces into the reach of the single largest active-duty army in the world, to say nothing of provoking nuclear retaliation and suddenly finding ourselves in the Fallout universe. That's why nobody cares about Hong Kong either. You save more lives in the longrun by doing nothing.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
China is on the U.N. Security Council. They're one of the permanent members. Any resolution of any kind which infringes on Chinese sovereignty would be vetoed by China. And assuming the rest of the Security Council decided to simply abandon the U.N. framework and directly intervene in China, you'd be delivering your armed forces into the reach of the single largest active-duty army in the world, to say nothing of provoking nuclear retaliation and suddenly finding ourselves in the Fallout universe. That's why nobody cares about Hong Kong either. You save more lives in the longrun by doing nothing.
Yeah, the "infringes on Chinese sovereignty" phrase is straight from the China propaganda manual. If the use of the term "you" wasn't enough of a giveaway. Would you like to now talk about how some people here are "uneducated" and saying "inaccurate" things?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1