• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge Of The 2010s

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to listening to this one later, really loved the 80s, 90s and 2000s that were previously done Smile
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Dat running time. I guess I'm going to put off watching The Irishman yet again.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
The 2010s will always be very special to me because I because it is when I became a dedicated anime fan. I am happy and proud to have such a wonderful hobby. These are the best made (not necessarily my favorite) anime I watched from the 2010-19 decade. This was a great decade for anime, and I hope the quality continues into the new decade.

1. Penguindrum (2011) - 96/100: This is another masterpiece from Kunihiko Ikuhara. This is a story about family, belonging, child abuse and redemption. It can be a soul crushing anime, but it is also a funny and entertaining show that offers hope and optimism.

2. Madoka Magica (2011) - 95/100: I am not an expert and neither a big fan of magical girls anime, but this is an excellent production and an engaging show from start to finish. It is not easy to create a great story with deep characters in only 12 episodes, but Madoka Magica is the only one cour anime series that I consider a masterpiece.

3. Steins;Gate (2011) - 95/100: This is a strange series that starts more or less as an otaku comedy, but in the second half it becomes a great and compelling drama. I often look down on anime that is specifically created to pander to otakus, but this show has the best of both worlds because it can be enjoyed by otaku and fans of sci-fi and drama.

4. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (2012) - 95/100: The original Space Battleship Yamato is one of the most important shows in anime history. When I first heard about this remake I was fearing that it could ruin the story of the original show. But I was completely wrong because 2199 manages to update the story to modern audiences and makes it even better.

5. Your Name (2016) - 94/100: For the longest time it felt like Makoto Shinkai was incapable of making a truly great anime film, but Your Name blew me away. Aside from the usual strong production values in Shinkai movies, the main characters are very likable, the premise is weirdly relatable and it is fun in general.

6. From the New World (2012) - 94/100: This is one of the most interesting and smart anime series of this decade. This is an expertly produced post apocalyptic, sci-fi show that has well developed characters and a very compelling mystery. This series is dark, but it is absolutely worth a watch.

7. Hyouka (2012) - 94/100: To me this is easily the best anime that Kyoto Animation has ever produced. This is an unorthodox high school slice of life show that has strong character writing, smart mysteries and some compelling drama. The only thing I can complain is that I wish more of its source material was animated.

8. Kill la Kill (2013) - 94/100: At first glance this looks like just a silly show with tons of fanservice. And while this is true, Kill la Kill is also a show about what is family. I admit that the first half of the show it is not as good because of all the craziness going on, but the second half is really great and emotionally cathartic.

9. Death Parade (2015) - 94/100: This is another very interesting and unique show from this decade. This is an excellently crafted, episodic show about the meaning of life. It is not easy to describe this show, but this anime is truly worth experiencing. I highly recommend it to fans of drama and great character writing.

10. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju (2016-2017) - 94/100: To me this anime has the best character writing ever. Like its title indicates this is a period anime about complex and interesting characters struggling through life. The drama is often heavy, but the emotional payoff is amazing. Solid but not amazing production values and a weak-ish second season is what keeps this show from being a masterpiece.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm the guy who mentioned WataMote. I wasn't going to expand upon it in the tweet but it's with the caveat that the manga is better, since Tomoko Kuroki has come a long way as a character and is no longer silently seething at her "popular" classmates because of false stereotypes about "popular" kids she learned from manga and anime.

Due to WataMote never getting a continuation beyond a one-shot OVA that was a prequel not based on anything from the manga, the anime adaptation is limited to the awkward early chapters where Tomoko's social anxiety prevented her from talking normally to others and where the bulk of Tomoko's classmates who now play a major role in the story either were still anonymous background characters or they hadn't yet been introduced at all, but, just on its own merits, I still think the WataMote anime was worth mentioning if just for Izumi Kitta's amazing performance as Tomoko, both as a girl with serious difficulty communicating and also as Tomoko's inner voice who is almost always enraged about her usually mistaken perceptions of others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to listen to this in pieces, really excited to dive in! Those 80/90/2000s decade retrospectives were the first ANNCast episodes I heard, so its nice to actually listen to one as its released and submit my own top three.

If I forced myself to try to categorize and diversify my list a la Cinefix instead of only listing favorites) my top ten would be:

10. Comedy - Space Dandy (runner-ups: Princess Jellyfish, Humanity Has Declined, Hinamatsuri). Space Dandy just needed to be included somewhere on this list, especially since comedy often isn't.

9. Slice-of-Life/Drama - Run With the Wind (RU: In This Corner of the World, A Place Further Than the Universe, O' Maidens In Your Savage Season) More people should watch Run With the Wind. This show is really funny, inspiring, moving, and has some fulfilling payoff!

8. Romance - A Lull in the Sea (RU: Scum's Wish, AnoHana, Snow White With the Red Hair, Yuri on Ice). I know it has tiring love triangle issues, but I found the pros (interesting ideas and themes on change, a beautiful world, messy and conflicted characters) to outweigh those issues.

7. Tentpole Franchise - Fate/Zero (RU: Your Name, Attack on Titan, JJBA). Easy pick here. Its my favorite of the Fate franchise as a whole, and I have found it easily re-watchable. Has lots of varied, interesting characters, and the common criticisms of author transparency or monologuing never bothered me at all. I also remember being really moved by the ending, despite not knowing anything about Fate/Stay Night.

6. High Octane Action - Promare (RU: Mob Psycho 100, Kill la Kill, SSSS.Gridman, Blood Blockade Battlefront). Would have put Mob or Gridman here, but honestly Promare is pure joy. Its feels wrong not to list it here.

5. Sci-Fi or Fantasy - From the New World (RU: Psycho-Pass, Maria the Virgin Witch, Kyousougiga, Made in Abyss, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Katanagatari) Its dystopian sci-fi that seemed heavily inspired by the classics but still original and unique. Its heavy in the best way and has a fantastic, memorable ending that sticks with you.

4. Character Drama - Rakugo Shinjuu (RU: Lupin III: A Woman Called Fujiko Mine, March Comes In Like a Lion, The Wind Rises). Its a masterpiece through and through aside from one throw away line at the end. There really isn't much out there like it.

3. Yuasa Spot - Ping Pong the Animation (RU: Devilman Crybaby, The Tatami Galaxy) It was incredibly difficult to pick between these three shows, and on other day I might switch it out for one of the others. I've just seen Ping Pong so many times and love it more with each viewing.

2. Ikuhara Spot - Mawaru Penguindrum (RU: Yuri Kuma Arashi) I absolutely love Penguindrum to pieces, and it just slightly outweighs the also excellent Yuri Kuma Arashi artistically, creatively, emotionally, etc... Probably my actual favorite on this list.

1. Overall - Madoka Magica Such a well-written and emotionally gripping show that holds up to multiple viewings. It also had a huge impact that hasn't really dissipated.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:58 am Reply with quote
My top ten.

1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica (2011): beautifully constructed with huge plot turns, the most awesome character of the decade (Homura) and three magnificent episodes at the end that turn everything on its head, tricking you into thinking all is wonderful until the fridge horror sets in. Has one of my two favourite soundtracks of the decade.

2. Hyouge Mono (2011): the most layered, most complex anime I've ever seen by giving the power-hungry generals of the warring states period the merciless lampooning they warrant. The climax, where one of the two main characters must commit seppuku (with the assistance of the other) is both harrowing and liberating.

3. Bunny Drop (2011 - my 1,2 and 3 are all from that year - 2017 is my other stand-out year): thirty year old Daikichi taking his six year old aunt (!) into his care is heart-warming, but with enough acute observation to prevent it from dissolving into sentimentality.

4. Girls' Last Tour (2017): stories of the end of the world have never been this sweet and rarely this profound. The series consistently finds joy and beauty in a world where humans have almost become extinct.

5. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013): unlike his Ghibli colleague Miyazaki, Isao Takahata ended his career with his best film. Beautiful and distinctively his.

6. Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju (2017): where the first season dealt largely with the lead-up to the tragic events at the core of the story, this follow up deals with the repercussions even more memorably.

7. Made in Abyss (2017 - three from this year as well): beautiful artwork and a lovable pair of main characters in an, eventually, harrowing rumination on loss and death. My other favourite soundtrack of the decade.

8. In this Corner of the World (2016): what begins as a sweet story of a goofy, oddball girl ends in rage and grief when she suffers trauma, guilt and affront from the bombing in World War 2.

9. Maquia - When the Promised Flower Blooms (2018): beautiful fantasy tale observed from an unusual perspective - a young woman and foster parent from an exceptionally long-lived clan. Her long-term view of love, war and family allows Mari Okada to present common fantasy tropes in an altogether fresh way.

10. House of Five Leaves (2010): an unemployed samurai, desperate to eat, takes a job with a gang of kidnappers and extortionists. Rarely has a bunch of villains been so lovable and rarely has such grotesque artwork been so captivating.

I didn't consider the Time of Eve movie or the decade's instalment of Mushi-shi as they are more properly extensions of anime from the previous decade. I'm also coming to the opinion that anime suffered something of a decline in the middle years of the decade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Waffitti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:09 am Reply with quote
I was hoping that my top 3 would make it on the show, which didn't happen; most unfortunate was that it was all series that didn't get a single mention elsewhere on the episode.

Of all the "returning champions" and big-name debuts this decade, those that stand out to me are, respectively: Sho Aikawa getting carte blanche for sociopolitical commentary (with Un-Go & Concrete Revolutio) and Rie Matsumoto just exploding from the get-go (with Kyousougiga and Blood Blockade Battlefront). Their aims are wholly different, but those 2 are masterful when it comes to dense storytelling.

Besides those, Yona of the Dawn stands out as a very well-written shojo adventure and could use a 2nd season anytime soon. With regards to shorts, Turning Girls stands out as maybe the greatest example of Trigger's commitment to free-wheeling creativity, even if completely apart from most of their output ("why don't we have our office workers create something on their own?"); it didn't get much attention at the time, but it is still officially available, its a breezy watch & pretty funny overall.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty surprised at how quickly the four hours went by, and I ended up making a list of things to "finally get around to" (including an embarrassing or of things that are actually on my shelves), or to re-watch, and even have some manga on the list.

A shame there's no sign of the From the new world novel in translation.

I'm going to disagree about Re:creators, since I enjoyed its reversal of isekai tropes, I tend to enjoy things that treat the wall between fictional and the real world as porous (trapped in a game-world excepted). It may have helped that I watched it all after it's season ended.

But I'm too lazy to make my own top ten of the decade.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Due to WataMote never getting a continuation beyond a one-shot OVA that was a prequel not based on anything from the manga, the anime adaptation is limited to the awkward early chapters where Tomoko's social anxiety prevented her from talking normally to others and where the bulk of Tomoko's classmates who now play a major role in the story either were still anonymous background characters or they hadn't yet been introduced at all

It's a real shame, because starting with Volume 8, the English-language release of the manga has consistently been the title I'm most excited to see show up in my mailbox.

I usually don't like to rank movies and OVAs alongside TV shows, so here are my current feelings on the anime series of the past decade:

10) Action Heroine Cheer Fruits (2017)
Despite its innovative premise, this franchise never managed to find an audience. Still, Action Heroine Cheer Fruits makes my list because its core concept - costumed stage shows for children, featuring actors dressed up as fictional characters - resonates so much with my own childhood media preferences. I can't tell you how many times I popped my VHS copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Concert: Coming Out of their Shells in my family's VCR, and I really enjoyed how Cheer Fruits represents the childlike understanding I had that while, no, these weren't the real characters performing on stage for me, at the end of the day it didn't much matter. Cheer Fruits also features one of the best portrayals of a paraplegic heroine I've ever seen in anime! A real under-the-radar show, and something I think a lot of people would really enjoy if they went back and watched.

9) Gakkou Gurashi (2015)
Gakkou Gurashi is a franchise that is difficult to describe without ruining its "big twists", but thankfully there's so much more to like about this adaptation than its story beats. Its ability to maintain the atmosphere, tension, and ultimately the heart of its source material results in a series that is thrilling whether you are a long-time fan of the manga or a first-time viewer of the series. Just don't go into it expecting a "normal" show.

8) D-Frag! (2014)
D-Frag is not only a consistently funny show, with a wide variety of interesting and unconventionally quirky heroines, but also one of the best English dubs I've heard out of Funimation in the past 10 years. It's a great adaptation of the first few arcs of my favorite currently-running comedy manga, and well worth a look if you like watching shows about nerdy women with attitudes.

7) Flip Flappers (2016)
I wasn't really sure where this was going to end up on my list, as back when it was airing I thought it was the epitome of everything I like about anime as a storytelling medium. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the sort of show that (as long you're paying very close attention the first time you watch it) doesn't really have much to offer on a second or third viewing. The fact that it's still #7 on my list should indicate how much of a blast I had watching this show the first time around! If you adore stuff like Utena or Evangelion, and want to watch something made by a bunch of people who clearly also like the stuff you do, then give Flip Flappers a go.

6) Iron-Blooded Orphans (2015-2017)
If you don't like how Mari Okada tells stories, then maybe this isn't the show for you, but if you've just finished watching O Maidens in Your Savage Season, and want a more mecha-flavored dose of melodrama, then Iron-Blooded Orphans is the perfect entry-point into the Gundam franchise. It takes place in its own self-contained timeline, away from the rest of the franchise's shows, and features a bunch of hot boys who have lots of feelings about stuff. It has kind of a divisive second half, but personally I really enjoyed it, and it ended up being my favorite non-OVA Gundam installment of the past decade.

5) Penguindrum (2011)
Penguindrum is the perfect "everything is a metaphor for something else" show, mixed with a ton of stunning character designs and memorable audio-visual experiences. It's also a great series to show your non-anime watching friends, because it's very confusing and weird, but in a way that doesn't really require you to know what anime is normally like.

4) World Conquest Zvezda Plot (2014)
It's a shame that this show's quite scandalous costume designs - particularly those worn by its underage female characters - kept a bunch of people who would have normally adored this show's socio-political commentary from giving it a fair shake. (Word is that the character designs were themselves a commentary on legislation about animated content that was making its way through the Japanese government at the time, but that doesn't really make them any less skeevy at first blush.) However, if you passed over this series back when it was airing, then you missed out on one of the most hilarious shows of the decade, and I'd recommend everyone at least check out its "anti-smoking" episode, which is a real gut-buster, and a good conversation-starter if you tend to watch anime with friends from countries with different attitudes towards smoking than your own.

3) Bodacious Space Pirates (2012)
I like this show so much, it's my username.

2) Planet With (2018)
It is absolutely criminal that I can't buy this show on Bluray, but that's the world we live in, I guess. Seriously, though, this is a 24-50 episode post-Evangelion 90s mecha anime, compressed into a single coeur in the most artful way imaginable. It's also written by the author of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer or Spirit Circle, and if you've read either of those titles, then you're probably already on your way to Crunchyroll to binge watch this entire series. I can't recommend this series highly enough to mecha fans, or people who love sci-fi in general!

1) Puella Magi Madoka Magica (2011)
I've oscillated between "Madoka is brilliant" and "Madoka is overrated" several times in the past decade, and am currently on the more favorable side of the scale. It has its problems, to be sure, but now that it's nine years old, I guess I can fall back on the "well, it was from a different time" defense when people bring them up. Wink
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Super-long, but it never felt boring, so a job well done by Zac, Lynzee, Daryl, & Mike. Since my Top 3 never got mentioned during the entire 4+ hours, I might as well expand it out (& in no order). Just give me a moment, & don't expect much of the expected...

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Parts 1 -4): Haven't seen Golden Wind yet, but I echo Daryl's happiness that JoJo has finally found the audience it deserves in English-speaking fandom. As someone who's been a fan ever since the Capcom arcade fighters, it makes me so happy to see this series finally be given such a great chance with David Pro, who have just constantly knocked it out of the park.

Dororo: This is the only pick that I haven't seen all of yet (only saw up through episode 15), but it's just so good & I plan on finishing it soon enough. Dororo is easily my favorite of Osamu Tezuka's works, and I have wanted a new anime adaptation for years, so to see it finally happen & be as outstanding as this show is amazing. The only reason I haven't finished it yet is because I've been busy with other stuff, but I've loved every bit of this show that I've seen so far, and I look forward to finishing it; in fact, I might just restart from the beginning.

Kaiji: Against All Odds: Yes, this show counts, because it debuted in 2011! Anyway, this season of Kaiji was just outstanding, and it does something that you just couldn't think was possible. The entire second half of the show is just about Kaiji taking on the pachinko machine from Hell, and that entire half is thrilling, engaging, emotional, & absolutely amazing, and this is coming from someone who had read that part of the manga before the anime debuted. Considering how happy people are with Denpa's releasing of the original manga, myself included, I feel like the Kaiji anime has become a bit forgotten.

Ring ni Kakero 1: Shadow & Sekai Taikai-hen: I know that I'm pretty much the only person who really saw these season when they came out, because it was nigh-impossible to do so (especially for the former), but these were just outstanding returns, and it's because of these that RnK1 is one of my all-time favorite anime. Shadow was a nigh-100% direct adaptation of said arc from the manga, while Sekai Taikai-hen was an outstanding directorial debut for Hiroshi Ikehata, bringing an outstanding visual style that I wish I could see more of for this series. Sadly, though, Toei obviously has no interest in ever returning to RnK1, but at least there were these two "final" seasons.

Asura: I'm sure if this movie actually saw an official English release over here, it would have found a spot in at least one of the fan lists, because this 2012 movie was just outstanding. It's an early example from this decade at the potential of CG animation, but it's also just a great story from start to finish. Still wish it would get a release over here, in general.

One-Punch Man: Nothing more to be said other than I agree with everything that was said about this show on the show itself. That first season is just amazing, & I haven't seen Season 2 yet.

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods: This was the reason why Dragon Ball really returned in force this decade, and after thinking about it, it really is the best entry. Resurrection F is fun but a little too simplistic, Super Broly is a triumph of fight animation, & I enjoyed what I've seen of Super, but BoG is the just the best overall fusion of the two halves of Dragon Ball, i.e. the comedy of the "DB" part & the action of the "Z" part. This movie truly reminded everyone why we love Dragon Ball, and why it deserved getting new stories made for it.

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky: Sam opinions as what was stated in the episode.

Kingdom: Man, people really slept on this show. Yes, the CG for the first season has its "quirks", but you do get used to it, and the second season is more traditional animation than CG. Regardless, the story & characters in this series are simply superb, and the fact that FUNimation kind of crapped it out onto DVD without any real fanfare is a shame. At least we're finally getting a third season, but by now I'm sure most will simply ignore it, but please give this series a chance. Before you know it, you'll be hooked.

Yes, that's only nine entries, but I never said I'd do 10, now did I?
db999

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
This is probably one of my favorite episodes of this podcast, and despite it being over 4 hours long, it went by really quickly.

So here's my top 10
10 Bakuman I was surprised when I made this list and this show made it up so high. Part of me is still unsure of whether or not it really deserves to be in the top 10 mostly because it starts off really slow, and it’s pretty standard shounen fare. Ultimately what brought it up so high was two reasons. 1 I absolutely loved that it was about the process of writing manga. I loved seeing the insight into the industry and the characters were all fun and likable especially the two main protagonists. I think the character development was really well done, and there were quite a few scenes that really touched me. But what brings it up here for me is that I rewatch the show fairly often, and sometimes I randomly think about the series and its characters. My only big flaw with the series is that it has a problem with female characters, which is something the creator's other series Death Note also had a problem with. But that problem isn’t enough to downgrade the show for me

9 Kill la Kill 2013 I agree with everything that was said about this show on the podcast. I loved this series for the same reasons I loved Gurren Lagann, but I think it was able to stick the landing a bit better. It’s just great fun and has some of my favorite fight scenes and I also love Trigger’s animation style. Also as the show is composed by Hiroyuki Sawano it also has an amazing soundtrack.

8 Gundam Unicorn 2010 This is my pick for the Gundam Franchise, which is been sort of hit and miss this decade. However, Unicorn was fantastic and in my opinion, it really wrapped up the story of the Universal Century in a satisfying way. I really liked the reveal about what Laplace’s Box really was. I also think the Newtype stuff here was handled a lot better than other shows in this series have. Also, the series has one hell of a soundtrack and was the show that had me fall in love with Hiroyuki Sawano’s music. It was also one of the first series that I started watching as it was coming out.

7 When Marnie Was There 2014 This is the only anime movie on my list, and it’s my favorite movie by Studio Ghibli. That might sound like a weird pick to some people, especially as most typically choose Spirited Away, Princess Kaguya, or Princess Mononoke as their favorites, but I really appreciated the maturation of the main character. It has a unique vibe to it.

6 Shirobako 2014 This is definitely the most charming show on this list. When it was first coming out I completely dismissed it because I thought it was going to be more like a moe show due to its character designs. But after watching it, it became one of my favorite series. I really loved all the in-jokes and references to other anime and thought the idea of an anime about the making of anime to be quite novel. I always think of this show as a cross between The Office and Bakuman, which is kind of a weird combination, but it has both of those series strengths. It’s got the deep inside look of the creation of media like Bakuman, and the relate-ability of the characters and situations that made The Office such a strong show. I’m really excited about the movie next year, and I hope it’s about them making a movie based on their school anime club project because that would be a great way for the show to come full circle, and to see the gang create their dream project.

5 Your Lie In April 2014 When I was a kid I took piano lessons, and while I’ve always loved the piano, I was never able to figure out how to play the instrument. So that was the reason why I started watching the show, only to realize that it had a really heartfelt plot about a kid dealing depression stemming from parental abuse, and how through his connections with other people, he's able to come to terms with his mother's death and learn to love the piano again. While the characters and the plot aren’t at all unique its execution was top notch. Its animation was really fluid, especially the music playing sequences, and it also had a great soundtrack outside of the classical music the characters playing in their competitions.

4 Fate Zero 2011 and Fate Apocrypha 2017 I couldn't decide which one of these series I enjoyed more so I’m making it a tie. I don’t have much to say about Fate Zero, that wasn’t already said. Fate Apocrypha is probably the most straightforward and easy to follow series in the Fate franchise. While other entries in the franchise have much more philosophical musings, Apocrypha is more of a straight-up action show than any of the other entries. That doesn't mean it doesn’t dabble in the same type of philosophical themes the rest of the franchise has, but the action of the Battle Royale is the real focus. It’s a good thing that the show is phenomenally animated, even though it wasn’t done by ufotable. Sure sometimes the character models could go a bit too off-model for my tastes, I just love the raw feeling this type of animation has when compared to ufotable's more effects-heavy, and consistent art style. Sure the show has its problems, such as an uninteresting main character, and I wish that Jeanne de Arc got to take out the final villain instead, but it was a really enjoyable series.

3 Madoka Magica 2011 I also don’t have much to add about this show, other than when I rewatch it I prefer to watch the 2 movie compilations instead of the actual show. It also probably has my favorite Yuki Kajiura soundtrack

2 My Hero Academia 2016-current This quickly became my favorite anime that debuted in the 2010s. Other than a somewhat slow first season, and the second half of season 3 being sort of weak, this is a great shounen anime. One strength of the show is that unlike so many other is it’s brethren, none of the arcs drag on for too long. This really is a great refinement of the genre and I think the biggest strength of the series is that they decided to do this as a seasonal anime, rather than a never-ending anime. That really allowed Studio Bones to keep the animation up to a consistent quality, and avoid having to do filler episodes. This also allows the source materials strength of not having arcs drag out to remain intact. This would be number one if another certain anime, animated by the same studio, didn’t finish airing during the start of the decade.

1 Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood This is not only the top of my 2010 list, and not only my favorite anime of all time, but it's also my second favorite television show of all time. I know some might disagree with me putting this on the list because it technically started airing in 2009, but it did finish airing in 2010 which is why I’m including it. Even if I only include the episodes that did air in 2010 it would still be my number one. I have no major complaints with the show, and any I did have would be nothing more than nitpicks. The first 10-13 episodes aren’t executed as good as the 2003 version did them, and the ending can be a bit too cheesy, but it’s a fantastic show.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
A long but fun episode. All your lists have great anime titles. I am one of the outliers who like and appreciate what Anno does with Eva 3.33. And Daryl, I also watched and like Hanebado!, especially the first 4-5 episodes.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
first, I completely disagree with a hard 2010 cut off. If any of a series falls into the next decade, especially more than half- IT COUNTS!

Sorry, my list is VERY top of the decade heavy and if you came to my list for action and villains and gritty dark ruminations on the essence of humanity and evil, you are going to be disappointed. Drama and comedy and harem and mixes of them. That's my stuff.
(It's not that I dislike those things, it's that they are rarely big favorites.)

TOP 10

1. Cross Game
Simply a masterpiece. I watch all 52 episodes (except maybe the big one about the spoiled actress/manager girl) almost every year. I love the sympathetic characters, the heart of it, the humor and the nostalgic feels of baseball sportsmanship.
2. Nichijou / My Ordinary Life
I do not agree with the common claim that you can't rewatch a comedy much. Just thinking about the standout segments of this show crack me up and watching actually brings some feels. (Actuay it's the action shows I don't rewatch)
3. March Comes in Like a Lion
i have a serious weakness for coming of age stories and this is a killer one. So much pain with growing up, so much importance put on empathy and caring for weakness. The we have cuteness and wonderful humor. It hits so many boxes.
4. Kimi ni Todoke
again, A sweet coming of age and sweet romance...if maybe a bit rosy. And those super deformed segments.
5. Bakemonogatari/ Monogatari series
SHAFT! Shinbo! Nisioisin, the cuts, the symbolism and depth! There's mention in the podcast of how a show stands out because it grabs you and that's what happened here... probably why this list is top heavy, because so much later stuff relies so much on earlier stuff. Also... a bit ashamed to say I like so much of the kinks in the series, especially in the first series.
6.Wagnaria / Working
This is like a perfect mix of western sitcoms and anime teen tropes. I also love me my vulnerable strong girls, and this show features our girl who is such an embodiment of it that it is a joke... but a good joke... Inami, that's my moe.
7. Silver Spoon
Again, coming of age, excellent fish-out-of-water humor, some romance pinning, and another strange weakness of mine. Out-of-your element agricultural themes. This is the best but Moyashimon, No-Rin, and the old masterpiece movie Only Yesterday also check this box.
8. K-on!*
I could probably put more Kyo-Ani on this list, and while I was not trying to limit to representative picks I think I will here and keep it to two (including Nichijou). I didn't even rank K-on! in my top half in 2010 but the sweetness, nostalgia and perfect moe of the series has infected me since. Like so much of Kyoto Animation it just makes me smile to think about it.
9. Seitokai Yakuindomo
The ULTIMATE sex-comedy, the perfect example of it, and what makes it so perfect is the the raunchy girls and straight-men charactersarestill so likable and even lovable (well, maybe not teacher and robo-girl so much- yet) AND that it almost completely ignores blatant fanservice. The ecchi is implied. Many times it doesn't even have to be echii to be funny. One of my top five sequences is the bit about Tsuda's short story. Georgie!
10.Natsume's Book of Friends
Oh the feels. And the depth of the mythology in what seems like it should be a shallow escape. I even think that the horror elements of the show are more effective than straight-forward stuff.

Other 11 (originally supposed to end with 20)
11. Space Brothers
I'm glad I got through the podcast to hear a mention of this- for some reason, I forgot to include it. Such a geek fest- it has things to complaint about but it's a love letter and Mutta is the strangest most lovable main character.
12. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun

Simply no bad jokes
12. The Great Passage
That one just spoke to the word geek in me and revealed just how second-rate an English word geek is. And so adult in the relationships in ways other "adult relationships" in anime simply are not. The main characters simply fall into their relationship in a way people do, WITHOUT an exceptional passion.
12. Chihayafuru
Yeah, the ultimate sports story about a card game. Love it (oddly my second choice for sports story is the mostly forgotten Baby Steps- give me more Baby Steps!)
12. Hanamaru Kindergarten
Soooo cute! And sweet, and it takes this situation that makes you think will be disgusting and says... she's a little girl who "loves" an adult- duH, that's not pervy- it's cute- ALL these girls are adorable. and those EDs are legendary.
16. Non Non Biyori
Had to separate these simply to say- no, Hanamaru Yochien is cuter. In my first revision of this list (before adding K-on!) this was the first straightforward do-nothing slice of show in the list... unless you count Nichijou... but that is pure comedy, this is wonderfully funny but the true charm is the everyday. Slice-of-life is my comfort food.
16. Barakamon
yep, cute, comedy, fish-out-of-water stuff. Feel-good.
16. Polar Bear's Cafe
Holy Crap levels of cute! And so weird! So priceless. Watch it!

screw you, guys! I love these! (contentious picks)

19. Mysterious Girlfriend X
I really feel like this is the essence of the awkwardness (and grossness) of teen romance. I have weird pet peeves including some associated with liquids, but I have NO problem with with the drool. the way it works here works perfectly for me.
19. Tenchi Muyo- War on Geminar / Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari
I should put it higher. I am such a Kajishima Tenchi fan and this is the essence of his stuff- at length he actually meant it to be (no CUT episode orders!) with an ending that fits. And kenchi is both a power fantasy AND a dweeb AND lovable. Here was a show with Isekai in the title that opened the decade that destroys the trendy ones. Probably the only thing that dropped it down was that I haven't thought about it lately... and talking to all you haters lately had me decide it had to be in this section.
21. Asobi ni Ikuyo >>> "Bombshells from the Sky" >>>>>> "Cat Planet Cuties"
To tell the truth- you guys that insist on using the "Japanese" names for shows instead of the English titles bother the ever-loving-**** out of me. But this one... Ugh. First the Crunchyroll tilte, then the release one... This show may be ecchi but is nowhere the trash those new tiles imply. My understanding of the Japanese title, roughly "We Come to Play" is actually so much more appropriate and actually witty in a sense that works with an English phrase. These aliens do not only "Come in peace' they come to play. Somehow they have found the essence of a peaceful life and it is a playful one. There are so many Hard Sci-Fi tributes and deceptively smart ideas in the series!... and damn are the girls hot. Wink

*my accidental K-on! omission was pointed out to me so I took Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions(orig. #15) off and moved the higher ranking K-on! into the top 10.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:06 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It's a real shame, because starting with Volume 8, the English-language release of the manga has consistently been the title I'm most excited to see show up in my mailbox.

If the top 3 I submitted to Zac on Twitter had been based on the manga, I'd have put WataMote above Non Non Biyori, not that I don't also love the Non Non Biyori manga. I put Non Non Biyori in the top spot because the animation elevated the source material due to subtle touches like shadows slowly creeping over the rice fields at dusk and lavish CGI fluid water effects (a flowing stream being the very first thing they show in the opening credit animation for the first season). The WataMote anime has a few spectacular sequences like Tomoko's misadventure in Roppongi but I think the rural setting in Non Non Biyori gave the animators more chances to add little flourishes.

It's also notable that WataMote and Non Non Biyori are both SilverLink shows from 2013, a fantastic year from that studio.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote
Wow. Really good show, and amazing endurance from the participants. I had to stop after two hours and take a break for an hour. I don't know how you folks do it.

Which leads to a dangerous suggestion: if the number of shows doesn't go down, maybe you shouldn't wait until 2029 to do another one, but do a 5 year look back in 2024 instead. I hope that thought doesn't instantly horrify everyone, but after you've all recovered, it might be something to think about before then.

If we don't get intellectually crushed by the overload in the meantime.

For what it's worth, I have never tried to watch all the new shows every season, and of the 8 to 10+ I do start watching, I usually put on hold about half, and wait for the end of season wrap up reviews to pick stuff to go back and finish. I may add a couple if they sound intriguing, or if I'm really bored. But even if I had the time, there's no way I would have the motivation ( I'm picky ) or the energy to watch more. Which makes me really grateful for ANN's reviews and shows like this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4