• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Galarian Nights

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Unannounced detail: Gmax Alcremie (one of the forms in the new set of "featured" raids) was previously only available as the default (vanilla?) form, but can now spawn as other flavors. All sixty-three of them, presumably. Collecting all of those will take quite a while... especially since they all look the same when dynamaxed.

The main takeaway here, though, is that we now know the actual real reason why the Dex was trimmed, and why Game Freak was so evasive about it--the rest of the mons were going to be DLC content all along. Seems likely the remaining few hundred will show up in future updates. It's maybe not the most straightforward way to do things, but if there's only one more DLC pack, it won't cost any more than the old system of "just re-release the whole entire game again."
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:17 am Reply with quote
-Pokemon: Yeah, that's some big stuff. I expected them to go the DLC route now that the series is on a console and with it loads of old Pokemon being brought back. The new Gigantamax forms are also cool, especially Intelleon that goes full sniper on us. Also nice to see Mystery Dungeon, though I'm still holding out on a Pokemon Conquest 2 (Nobunaga must wax poetic about Pokemon once more!)

-Platinum Games: I guess good for them, but Tencent's been pretty shady and what with China's track record in silencing criticism, I'm very wary.

As for other stuff, the Devil May Cry team has been strangely vocal about the upcoming Switch version of DMC3. They've even said three new features been added and fans noticed that Dante's Styles are named onscreen (something not in the original, Special Edition, or the remasters) so many are thinking that on-the-fly Style switching is in it. The big question is what the other two features are in. Though I'm also intrigued as to why CAPCOM chose NOW to start doing special stuff for the Switch versions of games (like the gyro controls in RE5 and 6). The coming weeks will be interesting
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
I believe it's better to have China invest in a Japanese company than America, at the very least. Just look at how watered down Pokemon became as soon as it started making conscious decisions to appease the European and American audiences, like the removal of the Game Center, and the Pokemon Gals trainer figures. Americans would be the one that would put Bayonetta in a burqa if they could. China made Azur Lane, and co-produced lots of other fanservice filled anime and games.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:32 am Reply with quote
The only game I've played so far in 2020 has been Disgaea 2. Grind grind grind.

Horsefellow wrote:
China made Azur Lane, and co-produced lots of other fanservice filled anime and games.

"China" isn't investing in Platinum, Tencent is, and since Bloodivores is the only show I've seen that they've financed (at least, as far as I know), I'm not sure that bringing in their track record with anime improves my opinion about this investment. Laughing
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:08 am Reply with quote
I mean, I guess the PS5 "reveal" is amusing, and yet in spite of that the reveal got well over twice as many likes on Instagram as the Xbox Series X reveal. Sony is smart in that they kept their console names simple and to the point. Nintendo fumbled hard with the Wii U name, but the Switch was a perfect name. Xbox One was about as stupid a name as one could think of when naming their THIRD console, and Xbox Series X is "less" terrible but still pretty bad.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they bring back Scyther. Scizor has always been my favorite Pokémon.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
The only game I've played so far in 2020 has been Disgaea 2. Grind grind grind.

Horsefellow wrote:
China made Azur Lane, and co-produced lots of other fanservice filled anime and games.

"China" isn't investing in Platinum, Tencent is, and since Bloodivores is the only show I've seen that they've financed (at least, as far as I know), I'm not sure that bringing in their track record with anime improves my opinion about this investment. Laughing

Pretty much; plus if people default to "fanservice!" as a rebuke when someone mentions "silencing criticism" that's not a good look.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:11 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Tencent is the largest Chinese gaming company in the world. They own parts of Epic Games, Riot, Activision, and many other companies. They're working specifically with Nintendo to release the Switch in China. They've worked with Square to release Final Fantasy in China. Any video game company that wants to do business in China has to answer to Tencent, so mistaking them for China wouldn't be too far off the mark. If people have issues with Tencent and China becoming involved in gaming, they're about a decade late to the party. And that's a good thing for everyone overall. Just be wary of outrage merchants attempting to radicalize people through misinformation.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes, we must remember that criticizing truths the Chinese government doesn't like is considered "misinformation" that can "radicalize people" in the Chinese propaganda instruction manual.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Ah, yes, we must remember that criticizing truths the Chinese government doesn't like is considered "misinformation" that can "radicalize people" in the Chinese propaganda instruction manual.
Yeah I was reading that comment about thinking Chinese involvement in a project was to be lauded because they weren't big fans of censorship and I was worried I might be having a stroke.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:27 am Reply with quote
For some reason that Bayonetta comment reminded me of a certain costume concept that didn't make it in.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/bayonetta/images/e/e5/1419072170679.png
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, Nintendo... yes, you can have my money for the Poke DLCs...

On the plus side, I can respect that this doesn't feel like a shameless cash grab. Yes, they clearly shortened the dex list in anticipation of future DLC, but at least you're getting an actual expansion for a decent price and not just a ton of micro transactions or some other bs.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
I believe it's better to have China invest in a Japanese company than America, at the very least. Just look at how watered down Pokemon became as soon as it started making conscious decisions to appease the European and American audiences

Actually

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/2mvaia/why_was_the_game_corner_removed_from_the_newer/

Another reason for their removal was the near simultaneous releases.

Horsefellow wrote:
Americans would be the one that would put Bayonetta in a burqa if they could.

You clearly don't live in the U.S. if you did you would know that Burka's and other aspects of muslims culture aren't too well liked here just like in parts of Europe (classic Xenophobia). What makes your argument even sillier is China's well known issue with Uighur Muslims (which you also I presume know nothing about) So that idea would be interesting to see for a china release of Bayonetta.

Horsefellow wrote:

All the while banning Winnie The Pooh, Blood & Skulls & Bones, & Gambling.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:13 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Actually

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/2mvaia/why_was_the_game_corner_removed_from_the_newer/

Another reason for their removal was the near simultaneous releases.

That's what I meant. The series used to just do what it wanted and left the act of censoring things up to the western versions to do on their own. These days they actively remove things even in the original Japanese version to fit western sensibilities ever since XY when it shifted to have a simultaneous worldwide release and lost a lot of the unique Japanese appeal the franchise had.

Horsefellow wrote:
You clearly don't live in the U.S. if you did you would know that Burka's and other aspects of muslims culture aren't too well liked here just like in parts of Europe (classic Xenophobia). What makes your argument even sillier is China's well known issue with Uighur Muslims (which you also I presume know nothing about) So that idea would be interesting to see for a china release of Bayonetta.

All the while banning Winnie The Pooh, Blood & Skulls & Bones, & Gambling.

I'm not speaking about actual Muslim things, but the article warned China would cover Bayonetta up as if American versions of games haven't been censoring and removing sexual content in Japanese games for decades already, or loud mobs on social media always demanding localizers to also censor things they don't like out of American versions of games and anime. So trying to use that as an example of why people should fear China getting into the market is strange when everything we've seen is the exact opposite. Even if China censors some things, it's only for their version of the product and they have no problem with the original versions being uncensored and available for other people elsewhere in the world, which is what we get to see. It's a win-win for everyone: companies get more money, and we get more cool games and anime being funded and produced. So far, China becoming more involved in production of our media has been noting but positive, while America becoming more involved has had a lot of bad things like Sony's new content policies, or the Pokemon stuff.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:29 am Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:

Even if China censors some things, it's only for their version of the product and they have no problem with the original versions being uncensored and available for other people elsewhere in the world, which is what we get to see. It's a win-win for everyone: companies get more money, and we get more cool games and anime being funded and produced. So far, China becoming more involved in production of our media has been noting but positive, while America becoming more involved has had a lot of bad things like Sony's new content policies, or the Pokemon stuff.
If you care about censorship, I hope you're concerned about the way companies Tencent invest in like Blizzard actively censors their employees' freedom of speech. https://www.thedailybeast.com/blizzard-employees-staged-a-walkout-to-protest-banned-pro-hong-kong-gamer
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2