• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Indie Animator Claims Outburst Dreamer Boys OP Copies Their Work

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:40 am Reply with quote
God, here we go again Rolling Eyes , either get over yourselves where you think your work is original and because someone happened to make something slightly the same you claim it's yours, or you guys up top, how about making the fact that your'e copying something look a little less conspicuous? Seriously, we can't go like two weeks without this same thing popping up in the news. Look people, we all copy from each other all the time in some way, shape, or form, let's be real here. It's HOW you go about "retranslation" determines if you're caught or not. I mean, obviously it's not the right thing to do, that don't mean people aren't gonna do it tho. But now if this is where an underground creator is just trying to cash in on a coincidence, then that's just as grimy. We're so quick to jump in the defend the little guy so we believe and it may just be a coincidence. I'm tired of seeing this incident being recycled in the news.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
LiteMangime wrote:
God, here we go again Rolling Eyes , either get over yourselves where you think your work is original and because someone happened to make something slightly the same you claim it's yours, or you guys up top, how about making the fact that your'e copying something look a little less conspicuous? Seriously, we can't go like two weeks without this same thing popping up in the news. Look people, we all copy from each other all the time in some way, shape, or form, let's be real here. It's HOW you go about "retranslation" determines if you're caught or not. I mean, obviously it's not the right thing to do, that don't mean people aren't gonna do it tho. But now if this is where an underground creator is just trying to cash in on a coincidence, then that's just as grimy. We're so quick to jump in the defend the little guy so we believe and it may just be a coincidence. I'm tired of seeing this incident being recycled in the news.

...did you watch the video? This is a literal frame-by-frame trace job. People keep siding with the "little guy" because the cases are usually super-blatant plagiarism, like this one.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
LiteMangime wrote:

...did you watch the video? This is a literal frame-by-frame trace job. People keep siding with the "little guy" because the cases are usually super-blatant plagiarism, like this one.

You mean to tell me that a low tier super rushed, low budget anime had its over worked and underpaid animators trace some small random youtube channels animation and think that no one would notice it.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
You mean to tell me that a low tier super rushed, low budget anime had its over worked and underpaid animators trace some small random youtube channels animation and think that no one would notice it.

Stars Align says hi.

But I mean, yeah. Even Sony got slammed with plagiarizing lots of animators for a music video they did. Usually it's just one person who does it and then the whole team/company gets in trouble for that person's laziness since the editors/management didn't catch it.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Stars Align says hi.

But I mean, yeah. Even Sony got slammed with plagiarizing lots of animators for a music video they did. Usually it's just one person who does it and then the whole team/company gets in trouble for that person's laziness since the editors/management didn't catch it.

Yay but stars align had a budget, and is actually good. the sony situation the person apparently just kept pulling that )%&$ like the IGN reviewer did, and just thought they wouldn't be caught.
Not sure what exactly lead to the situation here, but it's probably not far off from the other situations.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:48 am Reply with quote
This happens more often than it is acknowledged. Some of the production artwork I have from Kobato uses screenshots of Christmas light and tree photos from various Japanese blogs and those same pictures were duplicated and used as backgrounds for that episode. The storyboards for these portions include the URLs and screenshots of the pictures from those sites. None of those blogs are credited in the end credits. This particular anime is a decade old now, so the use of other's artwork and failure to credit is nothing new.

It does not surprise me that this is still going on. Artists use references all the time, and often these do not vary from the original sources. The majority of time, these things go unnoticed and that's why it's as prevalent as it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1