• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Current GeGeGe no Kitaro Anime Ends in March After 2 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chinpokomon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:55 am Reply with quote
that's strange, isn't this timeslot usually airs shonen jump anime? at first I thought this could mark the return of DBS but the fact that digimon is taking over that timeslot is certainly surprising
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:42 am Reply with quote
Every Kitaro adaptation since the 80s series has always ran for two years so this is nothing new. As a matter of fact, this is a homecoming for Digimon since this was the show's original time slot up until Savers which then got replaced by 00s Kitaro then Kai, Toriko, Buu Kai, Super then 10s Kitaro and now here we are.

As for more Super, no need for that right now when animated Heroes is still a thing.....that unfortunately isn't ending anytime soon.
AkatsukiBuzai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 am Reply with quote
chinpokomon wrote:
that's strange, isn't this timeslot usually airs shonen jump anime? at first I thought this could mark the return of DBS but the fact that digimon is taking over that timeslot is certainly surprising

More than likely Toei Animation owns the timeslot, so whatever they're animating at the time. Kitaro ends, Reboot of Digimon Adventure replaces that then whatever they choose to do next after the 50 or so episodes of Digimon Adventure.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
The Nurarihyon arc has been covering several of the major themes from past arcs so it did feel like it was the final arc in the series. It has been an interesting series and because it was an episodic series it was a roll of the dice on the type of story that would be told. That an episode could be action, comedy, drama, horror, mystery, or romance made it a series that liked to cover a broad range of topics and it will be sad to see it end.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:01 pm Reply with quote
chinpokomon wrote:

Your reasoning falls apart immediately, though, because Kitaro never ran in Jump. Both GeGeGe & the preceding Hakaba Kitaro ran in Shonen Magazine back in the day. As others are saying, the timeslot is likely simply bought up by Toei to air it's shows on.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 pm Reply with quote
chinpokomon wrote:

not really, the only reason why Toei made that hour into a shonen block is because Dragon Ball and then Toriko and Dragonball again (because Toriko kind of flopped) would air along side One Piece and the creators of those respective franchises are friends
#Satou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Toei have balls to not bring the Dragon ball surprise and instead bring Digimon adventure but a reboot? This is hit or miss, or they improve the 99' with more episodes for all the characters that never have a lot of screen time or they finally destroy the only Digimon that already have crap with 02 and not even talk about tri,I don't care if they put more money in the animation, put money in the writer and episode directors. For the love of leomon don't destroy Digimon Adventure toei!! and next time bring gash bell!!
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:28 am Reply with quote
I knew this show would end within 2 years. As NJ mentioned, every adaptation since the 80s one only runs for a maximum of 2 years.

And personally, I’m okay with it ending in March. It ran long enough.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
I don't know many, if any, anime series brave enough to take on Japanese institutions the way Kitarou has done for the past two years. How many shows have episodes indicting the educational system for whitewashing Japan's role in World War II as episode twenty did? How many portray the mistreatment of foreign workers the way episode 84 did? How many shows present an unvarnished view of Japanese xenophobia the way Kitarou does in every episode about humans versus yokai? I give the writing team at Toei a lot of credit for following in Mizuki's footsteps and criticizing Japanese society, especially at 9 am on Sunday mornings.

I, for one, will definitely miss this show.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
How many shows present an unvarnished view of Japanese xenophobia the way Kitarou does in every episode about humans versus yokai?

The Japanese yokai are Japanese which is something that is made clear throughout the series and I think it would be more accurate to compare them to the Ainu. They have always been in Japan and have always considered themselves to be Japanese. So it isn't about xenophobia but about the issue of bigotry against a native minority group and for example in the United States that would be Native Americans.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Every Kitaro adaptation since the 80s series has always ran for two years so this is nothing new. As a matter of fact, this is a homecoming for Digimon since this was the show's original time slot up until Savers which then got replaced by 00s Kitaro then Kai, Toriko, Buu Kai, Super then 10s Kitaro and now here we are.

As for more Super, no need for that right now when animated Heroes is still a thing.....that unfortunately isn't ending anytime soon.

I think most Dragon Ball fans would rather have more Super than Heroes which are random short episodes with no schedule. The episodes themselves are also boring as hell in my opinion.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
How many shows present an unvarnished view of Japanese xenophobia the way Kitarou does in every episode about humans versus yokai?

The Japanese yokai are Japanese which is something that is made clear throughout the series and I think it would be more accurate to compare them to the Ainu. They have always been in Japan and have always considered themselves to be Japanese. So it isn't about xenophobia but about the issue of bigotry against a native minority group and for example in the United States that would be Native Americans.

Yokai exist across the world. There are "Western" yokai and ones from other parts of Asia as we saw in the Backbeard arc and in episode twenty. I agree that comparing them to the Ainu may be more appropriate. Still, there are certainly episodes that portray xenophobic reactions.

In episode 34 Nezumi-otoko leads a demonstration protesting Agnes's presence because she's a Westerner. Guardian Enzo has compared this scene to anti-foreigner demonstrations he's observed outside Japanese railway stations. And, of course, there's episode 84 where the foreigner yokai is abused by his Japanese superior and fellow employees.

Kitarou's opinion that humans and yokai should have as little as possible to do with each other has gotten tested and, in the latter stages of the story, perhaps weakened a bit. Watching Kitarou mull over his relationship to humans has been one of the more subtle, but also more interesting dynamics over this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1