• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Hard Reboot

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are a lot of folks out there comparing what's happening with Anthem to what happened with Final Fantasy XIV's original release, which… yeah, I don't know about that. I'm not going to mince words here: Final Fantasy XIV in its current state is a goddamned miracle. Naoki-P and his team were tasked with making a shit sundae into a delicious parfait, and they pulled it off beautifully. What made FFXIV's reboot so successful was a variety of factors: bringing in the right people to helm the project, making sure there was a cohesive vision and goals among the staff, and giving the team as many resources as they needed to make the game shine. This is, honestly, pretty hard to pull off, and previous reports about the troubled development of other BioWare projects makes me wonder if BioWare – and perhaps more importantly, EA – are capable or willing to give Anthem what it needs to become really, really good. (By the by, if you haven't watched the NoClip video series on Final Fantasy XIV, I highly recommend doing so!)

Oof. I would never compare modern Bioware to Square-Enix. You can tell YoshiP and the other Square-Enix devs love their work and had a passion to make a good game. Bioware lost that around the time TOR flopped, Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 came out to harsh criticism, and then so many veteran staff leaving the company, including the original co-founders in 2012. Bioware as we know them today is not the company that made Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, or even the first Mass Effect and Dragon Age games. They're just another branch of EA at this point, so proceed accordingly.

For the record I thought TOR was a fine game, it just lacked content upon launch, which is a deathknell for an MMORPG. You played it for the story, then when you hit max level, you either quit or leveled an alt. Most people chose the former, I guess.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Nothing like some surprise body horror.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
-Anthem: Yeah, this is gonna take a serious overhaul to make something workable out of it. The only way this happens is due to EA sinking in too much money to let it fail. It might pull and FFXIV, but that's a long shot considering FFXIV is a once-in-a-lifetime comeback (mostly because Naoki Yoshida has some actual self-awareness unlike everyone else in Square). Even if they do a No Man's Sky, that's questionable because the thing about NMS is that the devs just kept adding content to gives players something to do.

-DBFZ: Kefla has finally arrived. That it is all I need

Also, Cindered Shadows for Fire Emblem: Three Houses is out. Into the Abyss!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
Bioware as we know them today is not the company that made Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, or even the first Mass Effect and Dragon Age games.

Yeahhhh the first Mass Effect game is easily the worst out of the original three.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
jellybeanbandit wrote:
Bioware as we know them today is not the company that made Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, or even the first Mass Effect and Dragon Age games.

Yeahhhh the first Mass Effect game is easily the worst out of the original three.
Even if I agreed with you (I'm not sure actually, I might but I've never thought about it too hard), the first game is still very impressive as an achievement because it established so much of what the other 2 games had to work with. Yeah, ME2 improved a lot of things from ME1, but then it could only do that because ME1 existed and was successful at capturing so many people's imagination in the first place. Sure, ME2 was more financially successful, but the only way you get to make a sequel is if the first one was good enough to generate a fan base in the first place.

Iterating on an already existing game world and franchise is a different task from creating a completely new one from scratch. ME1 is a damn impressive game, and one of my favorites of all time.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I always saw people say the first was the best because it was the most like an RPG. Creating Shepard's backstory, skills, inventory, story choices, etc. The later ones dumbed down the RPG mechanics and skills and made it more of a traditional shooter like removing you having an inventory at all. Same reason people complained about Dragon Age 2. I guess it depends if you want an RPG Shooter or a more traditional shooter.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:24 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Even if I agreed with you (I'm not sure actually, I might but I've never thought about it too hard), the first game is still very impressive as an achievement because it established so much of what the other 2 games had to work with. Yeah, ME2 improved a lot of things from ME1, but then it could only do that because ME1 existed and was successful at capturing so many people's imagination in the first place. Sure, ME2 was more financially successful, but the only way you get to make a sequel is if the first one was good enough to generate a fan base in the first place.

Well we can both agree the Mako segments didn't exactly capture people imaginations as to how a good vehicle segment should work. Hence why those weren't in 2 or 3.

DavetheUsher wrote:
I always saw people say the first was the best because it was the most like an RPG. Creating Shepard's backstory, skills, inventory, story choices, etc. The later ones dumbed down the RPG mechanics and skills and made it more of a traditional shooter like removing you having an inventory at all. Same reason people complained about Dragon Age 2. I guess it depends if you want an RPG Shooter or a more traditional shooter.

If you're going to make an RPG Shooter don't make an action style RPG and have your guns have a cooldown mechanic (which you can avoid triggering, though not completely) just like your abilities. Doesn't make your combat particularly engaging or fun on top of dated health mechanics.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:02 am Reply with quote
They're really trying to push DBZF as a serious fighting game it seems. I never see it played much in Japanese tournaments though. Think it's only viewed as a character fighter over there, same with Smash..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1