• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Anime We Most Want to See in Live-Action

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barciad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:29 pm Reply with quote
1. Vinland Saga. Divided as to who should play Askalad. Either Robert Downey Jnr or Christopher Waltz.
2. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. A full faithful adaption of the manga starring Maisie Williams. Unsure who to play Kushana. If only Emma Watson could act.
3. Crest of the Stars. For all those feeling that little bit let down by the more recent Star Wars offerings.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, as a semi-accurate historical fiction, Vinland Saga could not be a more perfect candidate for a solid live action adaptation.

That being said, consider how complicated the lores and character backgrounds, I doubt Fate would be suitable for a decent live-action show, not to mention the fight scenes would be a pain in the butt to produce (and hoping some internet nerds won’t spoil the fun by raging over the gender-stuff, which is entirely possible given the social media track record)
Panoptican

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Monster is the easy answer. One because it would be relatively easy to make (looking at you One Piece). And two I think it could easily be a success. There's many of popular live action shows about sadistic criminals and those trying to stop them. If you wiped Monster from my memory and described it to me as a really good live-action Netflix or HBO show it would sound right at home.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Adding in little witch academia seems like a really really odd choice compared to the rest.

I think I read somewhere that the studio that is doing the animated castylvania tv series wants to also do berserk. But even if the do get/already have the rights it's probably still going to be awhile with them still working on xastylvania and working on devil may cry animated series. I would totally trust Berserk in those people's hands though.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Planetes. Lots of in-orbit vistas of Earth, tense space walks.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
#4: Psycho-Pass

There's already a live action adaptation.. It's called Minority Report Wink
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
I feel like Monster is the easy answer. One because it would be relatively easy to make (looking at you One Piece). And two I think it could easily be a success. There's many of popular live action shows about sadistic criminals and those trying to stop them. If you wiped Monster from my memory and described it to me as a really good live-action Netflix or HBO show it would sound right at home.

Yeah, came here to mention Monster. It's the only anime/manga I ever thought should be a live-action TV series. It's a perfect fit for a western audience and the work itself is pretty much a critically acclaimed masterpiece. Not only would it be a straightforward adaptation, but the quality of the work, and the themes of the work would make it very appealing to a western audience. Although the anime adaptation was near-perfect and amazing, I always felt it was more suited to live-action than anime. I was actually excited years ago when it was reported Guillermo del Toro was collaborating with HBO on a pilot of the series, but unfornately HBO ended up passing and no one else wanted to pick it up. It's a shame it'll probably never happen now though.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Talking about PsychoPass I think back in the early 2010s, Production I.G basically said they aimed for an anime that could easily go liveaction
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the only anime that Hollywood should look into remaking as live-actions are ones where the characters are mostly non-Japanese, that way they wouldn’t have to relocate and change names.
It bothers me when names get changed into something more familiar to us, but the story clearly takes place in a country where those names wouldn’t be common/used.

So the ones I think *could* work for Hollywood without the need to “Westernize” are:

Full Metal Alchemist
Last Exile
Attack on Titan
Gundam (any gundam)
No. 6 (a bit of a stretch)
Gungrave
Outlaw Star
Code Geass
Tiger & Bunny
Trinity Blood

Can’t think of any more with mostly Western characterizations/names.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of the idea of seeing real actors doing anime stuff... Humans are limited by things and CG doesn't cut it, while with anime, imagination is the limit.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
At one point HBO were supposed to be making an adaptation of Monster, I think they were shifting the setting to Chicago or something. What happened to that.
Qulex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Before thinking about a Berserk live action adaptation how about we get a good modern anime first.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Kinda disappointed nobody mentioned Black Lagoon. That series is so inspired by American Action films, it's insane.

Honestly surprised Hollywood hasn't tried to adapt it already. It would be so easy.
TravellinMatt77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
1. Gunsmith Cats - One of the most Western-themed manga of all-time, it is set in Chicago and creator Kenichi Sonoda was inspired by the Blues Brothers (among other films). This has been on Hollywood's radar for a long time, so maybe one day a producer can arrange for the rights.

2. A Certain Scientific Railgun: The plot is not intrinsically Japanese, the school setting and super-powered antics make it to appeal to younger audiences, and its balance of character and action could lead to a film or TV show that is as intelligent as it is visually appealing. I know that Universal Japan is not the same as Comcast-Universal, but the companies are related closely enough that I imagine it's easier for the parent company to acquire the rights.

3. Soul Eater: The mix of horror, action and humor is something we've seen in shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Charmed, but I think that this franchise's tone and visual style set it apart. It's also not particularly Japanese, and has an interesting mix of character types (both heroes and villains).

4. Bubblegum Crisis: Another property that was once in development, but stalled a long time ago. Cyberpunk aesthetic is making a bit of a comeback with Blade Runner 2049 and the upcoming Matrix 4, and all-female teams are still rare in Hollywood action films and TV shows. In the right hands, this could be a lot of fun.

5. Gunslinger Girl: The sci-fi elements and child cyborgs would make this stand out from similar action shows that feature assassins (such as La Femme Nikita and Killing Eve), as would the ethical dilemmas inherent in creating those cyborgs--lack of consent, the children's mental and emotional immaturity, etc. I imagine viewers would tune in for the controversial subject matter and stay for the involving plot.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:15 pm Reply with quote
1. Vagabond
2. Vinland Saga
3. Planetes
4. Psycho-Pass
5. Arslan Senki.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5