• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Anime Reveals Trailer, New Cast, April 23 Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lann

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:26 am Reply with quote
I am seriously thinking of not bothering. Especially having watched half a season of Picard. If its not the same returning writers, producers, directors, music artists, etc, its not going to be the same show. This looks NOTHING like GITS SAC, and I want its integrity to stay intact. Too many times I have been fooled by returning properties only to find it to be junk rubbish. No thanks.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:29 am Reply with quote
^I’m not that impressed by the CGI so far either, especially in comparison to Beastars, but this is the same director as the original SAC.
Popstone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
I am seriously thinking of not bothering. Especially having watched half a season of Picard. If its not the same returning writers, producers, directors, music artists, etc, its not going to be the same show. This looks NOTHING like GITS SAC, and I want its integrity to stay intact. Too many times I have been fooled by returning properties only to find it to be junk rubbish. No thanks.

It's good to know people still reference the encyclopedia to make their opinions as informed as possible before posting.

Oh, wait...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Actually kinda liking the look and designs especially with the color work seeing them in more mission action in this trailer and I really like both directors working on this so I'm still excited for it.

With another new JP cast now I'm expecting like Arise it'll have a different dub cast even though it'd add a lot of value and potentially win over some who can't get over the CG if the dub got that godly SAC dub cast back.
chronos02

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
The cast is returning, only arise has had a different dub in the different TV shows.

Now, even as a 3D artist, as I said before, I don't like one bit where Sola studios is going with the visual design. It feels noticeably higher quality than most CG used in anime to date, with the exception of Houseki no kuni (though it did have a very different style anyway), but the design is where things fall apart; there's a stark contrast between Motoko and the rest of the cast, and the use of soft shadows combined with the matte materials and lack of roughness channel gives it an overall cheap look similar to plastic figures, which by the way, is less apparent on Motoko's model for some reason.
As for the theme they have used for the trailers, I can't say it fits very well with the franchise, and we have yet to see what Toda Nobuko and Jinnouchi Kazuma will do with the OST, but I honestly doubt they will reach the height of Yoko Kanno, can't say I envy their position.

I'm still on the wait and see approach on this, but things don't look that great, even if the yessayers try to convince us there's no problem, but I've been hearing deafening voices complaining about the CG since day 1 of the news saying it was going to be full CG, and things got WAY worse after the first trailer was released.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Now, even as a 3D artist, as I said before, I don't like one bit where Sola studios is going with the visual design. It feels noticeably higher quality than most CG used in anime to date, with the exception of Houseki no kuni (though it did have a very different style anyway), but the design is where things fall apart; there's a stark contrast between Motoko and the rest of the cast, and the use of soft shadows combined with the matte materials and lack of roughness channel gives it an overall cheap look similar to plastic figures, which by the way, is less apparent on Motoko's model for some reason.

Not just that, the lighting outdoors seems... off. Bad mie settings? It feels like everything is washed out.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
The actual animation is exceptional for the most part. The mo-capping paid off and the 2 directors continue to know what they are doing. The character models are all over the place but at least look sources accurate. The scripts will make or break this. As always.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I just don't know why they didn't go with the design of Motoko they used in that initial first key visual. She actually looked pretty good in that design and i think it would have looked nicer than the design they ended up using even if this one the hair color is closer to that of SAC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1