• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Slayers Releases Anime PV for 30th Anniversary Album

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
me_barron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:07 pm Reply with quote
One of the first anime I ever watched...dubbed in Spanish...back when I actually understood Spanish...god I'm old. Anyway, wonder what the chances of them rebooting this are? Tried rewatching a couple of months back. It looks, well, dated. Would be awesome if they pulled a Fruits Basket with it and brought back the original cast for a remake. A boy can dream...
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
There's new novels, high sales of said novels, unadapted stories from the original novels, and quite a renewed push of merchandise lately (like with this), so...maybe?

The original anime has the extra problem of seemingly no good masters out there, since even the very recent Blu rays in Japan are of an unusually terrible quality. They're still good shows, though...

(The OVAs/movies DID get a great remaster on the other hand, which I'm sad we somehow still haven't gotten outside Japan yet)
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:12 pm Reply with quote
me_barron wrote:
Would be awesome if they pulled a Fruits Basket with it and brought back the original cast for a remake. A boy can dream...

The reason Fruits Basket got a remake is because the 2001 anime made several changes to the plot and tone of the original manga and only covered about a third of the manga's story, so the 2019 anime aims to be more faithful and adapt the entirety of the manga (plus creator Natsuki Takaya has made it clear that she didn't like the 2001 anime). I'm not sure if Slayers really needs something like that.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Slayers doesn’t need a reboot but there’s probably enough material now for them to make a new season.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Is megumin hayashibara still relevant nowadays?
Dian Z

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:25 am Reply with quote
It may not need to pull a fruit basket, but I it can pull a Hunter x Hunter. It's one of the earliest anime I watched, and remember really liking it, except that I kind of forgot almost everything. I still remember the characters and how they look like and a little bit of their relationship, but anything else not really. I think many fans who used to watch it as they grew up may have the same problem, and so a reboot (which leads to more) is not completely unnecessary.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:28 am Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
The reason Fruits Basket got a remake is because the 2001 anime made several changes to the plot and tone of the original manga and only covered about a third of the manga's story, so the 2019 anime aims to be more faithful and adapt the entirety of the manga (plus creator Natsuki Takaya has made it clear that she didn't like the 2001 anime). I'm not sure if Slayers really needs something like that.

I'd hope that, if they did end up making a remake of Slayers, it strayed far away from some of the earlier novels' yet-unadapted parts, as I really don't want to see stuff like (trigger warning: sexual assault) spoiler[Gourry convincing a thug that Lina has an STD in order to prevent the guy from raping her while she's tied up] in a show that has always felt at its best when it was trying to be a really high-quality Saturday morning cartoon show.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:59 am Reply with quote
The only issue I have with an idea of a reboot is the possibility of recasts from both sides. Japan might bring them back (though there's no guarantee) but I'm not so sure about FUNi here since things are different now from their efforts with Revolution 10 years ago with simuldubs being more of a thing.

Kicksville wrote:
The original anime has the extra problem of seemingly no good masters out there, since even the very recent Blu rays in Japan are of an unusually terrible quality. They're still good shows, though...

The DVDs also looked terrible and not just on CPM & Funi's releases either but in Japan as well.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Slayers doesn’t need a reboot but there’s probably enough material now for them to make a new season.

If they did have a new season, chances that it would get a simuldub and it would be wise to use the same 4 main VA: Crispin, Veronica, Erica, and Lisa.
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:31 am Reply with quote
such art style won't fit nowadays anime fans.. it will end up like sailor moon remake except even less people will bother with it..
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:51 am Reply with quote
me_barron wrote:
One of the first anime I ever watched...dubbed in Spanish...back when I actually understood Spanish...god I'm old. Anyway, wonder what the chances of them rebooting this are? Tried rewatching a couple of months back. It looks, well, dated. Would be awesome if they pulled a Fruits Basket with it and brought back the original cast for a remake. A boy can dream...

Wasn't the whole selling point for the new Fruits Baskets that the mangaka threw all the old cast and staff and wanted a fresh, new adaption unrelated to the old one?
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:39 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

You can't do the one without the other. The anime diverges pretty significantly from the novels pretty quickly, and Try onwards are entirely anime-original rather than just heavily adapted.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:42 am Reply with quote
the reason the author also doesn't like the original Fruits Basket anime is because the director behind it is a dangerous sexual predator
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:10 am Reply with quote
^She had issues with Daichi long before that came out about him.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:11 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^She had issues with Daichi long before that came out about him.

well now that is an interesting piece. I feel violated for liking some of Daichi's past works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2