• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bokurano Manga Gets New Chapter

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna guess our ability to get this in english is gonna be somewhere between "no" and "illegally", huh.

Still waiting for a Narutaru retranslation :U
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:15 pm Reply with quote
anyone old enough to remember the shitstorm Narutaru caused? Disgusting manga.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

As negative as people's reactions were back then (especially to the Norio stuff) I can't help but feel like, if it came out today, it would be lost in a sea of all the other recent titles that build their reputations on their ability to unsettle/disgust/outrage certain segments of anime fandom. I don't know, maybe I'm looking at things through rose-colored glasses, but stuff like Narutaru stood out a lot more back then.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

As negative as people's reactions were back then (especially to the Norio stuff) I can't help but feel like, if it came out today, it would be lost in a sea of all the other recent titles that build their reputations on their ability to unsettle/disgust/outrage certain segments of anime fandom. I don't know, maybe I'm looking at things through rose-colored glasses, but stuff like Narutaru stood out a lot more back then.

i still firmly think Narutaru as a manga or even its awful anime adaptation is the kind of thing that makes you look over your shoulder if you somehow own them today. It's not something that would get lost in a sea of any gross out animanga content today, it would be standing at the top.

It's so gross, man. But I agree it should be legally available.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Jesus hell guys I guess I'm the only big mohiro kitoh fan as usual
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:16 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Jesus hell guys I guess I'm the only big mohiro kitoh fan as usual

I respect the man, his work horrifies me and after a single watch it’s not a place I’d like to go back to, but I’ll never forget his work.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:46 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
anyone old enough to remember the shitstorm Narutaru caused?

Yes, I bought the first two japanese volumes back in 1999, before the "shitstorm" about certain chapters in volume 6 happened, which was a thing around 2000/01 in french and german online communities, long before the franchise became known in the US.

Quote:
Disgusting manga.

I was never deeply offended by it, because, by that point, I've already read/seen "worse". But yeah, the content in later volumes was rather extreme for a story which premise seemed harmless at first sight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:52 am Reply with quote
Probably most manga I like could be called "disgusting" by people who want to read normal manga (or think that Narutaru is a normal manga going into it, for that matter).
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Still waiting for a Narutaru retranslation :U

Same.

Also, I don’t see Narutaru as a disgusting manga, maybe it’s just because I enjoy reading dark and disturbing manga but there are other dark manga I can think of that I find worse when it comes to disgusting and uncomfortable content.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote
The most surprising thing about this is that there are at least 5 people who have heard of Narutaru! I didn't find it all that disgusting. Just off hand, Elfien Lied is like 50x more well known and considerably more gorey on the screen/in the panel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1