• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 is Flipping Insane

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:45 pm Reply with quote
A good portion of those screenshots really do look like gdgd fairies or shitposts, it's crazy.

I also heard the Steve Jobs character is possibly the character designers self insert which is a whole 'nother level of weird.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Why is Togusa suddenly so hyper-realistic he looks like Konishi Ryousei (you know, the actor who played the first Garo), though? With everyone else looking so plastic this was probably most jarring.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
As soon as The Flips occurred: "Oh, this is definitely going to be in This Week in Anime. Maybe with a link to 'late for meeting'." Close!

Since this came out, I seem to keep finding people who think this is going to be trash, watch for a laugh, and then are surprised to find out it's actually good, even if it's weird looking. It's certainly worth a try.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to watching the entire show.

It definitely gets better, then gets pretty good, and I'm in for the next round.

The CG is hit and miss. Sometimes it works and looks good. Other times it just screams budget. The play-dough hair is definitely the main thing, but also the environments, and also you miss other details in 2D animation that are actually much more difficult in CG without the expense, such as people always acting stiff, no hands in pockets and other subtitles you take for granted in character acting and posing and other stuff.

Where the CG does work is primarily for complex fight scenes and virtual world stuff, especially for episodes that involve seeing the same scenes play out from multiple angles. I do appreciate that they didn't go the low frame rate route like some other CG anime. Everything is smooth and a full 24 fps. So thankfully IG went for that.

Hopefully the next season gets a larger budget and more improvements.

The opening episodes were kind of necessary to get America involved, but it seems really off that outside of that military guy that for some reason they're only focusing on the new humans being located entirely in Japan for some reason. Is it because these two nations alone have the most technological advantages and this is why this phenomena is occurring?

It might also just be for the simple reason of being a Netflix deal and the story naturally wants to involve both American and Japanese audiences, and have Americans in the cast helps. The 1984 references are a bit too on the nose, although the full extent of its relevance is still to play out beyond just a plot prop.

Purin needs to cut down on the cute, as it's clearly out-of-place overacting, which works for AI like the Tachikoma, and might've made more sense if Purin was an AI herself and her composure was programmed to be cutesy. It's not a big deal, but it certainly seems off within this world for a human character in her position.

Anyway, SAC fans should give the show a chance. In time you'll be involved enough with the plot that you won't care about the CG shortcomings too much.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:53 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the chat.

I'll be watching the rest of the season, and the back half next year.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
I've been enjoying the show so far. The Tachikomas continue to amuse me to no end. Since Togusa's hair came up, yeah the first time I saw a trailer, I didn't realize that was him because he lacked a mullet.

The CGi is definitely the least appealing aspect. I'm glad that the GITS characters used wireless conversations as much as they do since the janky mouth movements are what looks the worst. If not for the lack of the echo effect given to those conversations, there are scenes where I would have trouble telling they were talking out loud. It's weird seeing Production IG's name on the credits since I have to wonder how they ended up going this route considering their work on SAC from before.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Is there an English dub of this? And more importantly, if there is, does the cast of the original GitS: SAC reprise their roles? Motoko without Mary Elizabeth McGlynn might be a dealbreaker.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Is there an English dub of this? And more importantly, if there is, does the cast of the original GitS: SAC reprise their roles? Motoko without Mary Elizabeth McGlynn might be a dealbreaker.

There is, and they do.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:34 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
There is, and they do.

Well dang, weird CG issues aside (seriously why couldn't it have looked like, say, Beastars?), I may have to give this a look. Thanks!
ronri

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:22 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I also heard the Steve Jobs character is possibly the character designers self insert which is a whole 'nother level of weird.

I've seen the comparisons and yeah, it seems very much intentional. Add on to that, the cyborg maids accompanying the character are apparently inspired from his artworks as well.

Edit:
Yep found the comparison pic: https://imgur.com/Gsy7rEx
ImdTyger

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote
i was mortified and outraged when i first loaded up GitS SAC 2045... paused playback 5 seconds in and did a google search to find out whose idea it was to do a satirical cg of a legendary classic... and i came across a reddit post [which i don't have saved on this pc] that gave an fair and mostly positive overview of SAC 2045 from someone who was a long time GitS fan. So, i gave it a watch... and have in fact re-watched it twice.

the cg gets an F for FAIL... and it takes until ep 4 before it starts to feel like a GitS gig. the bank robber ep is what won me over... and i get it, Purin is ridiculously out-of-place until i realized her personality is basically that of a humanoid tachikoma.

overall it was a pleasant surprise... still don't care for the plasticization, car chases in opening scene, not a big fan of the music... but it does leave a GitS flavored aftertaste. if i was just reading the script as a comic, i would have been satisfied.
Setis

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Ryusui wrote:

There is, and they do.

Mary's also the dub director.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1