• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sorcerous Stabber Orphen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear this turned out well after the early previews weren't so positive. I'll check it out when I'm up for more fantasy anime =)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The recasting is really disappointing, yes they weren't going to bring everyone back, nor do i think everyone needed bringing back. And yes ADVs script had issues. But in terms of casting choices most worked out better, Shelley Calene-Black was a lot better as Cleao. John Swasey and Hilary Haag were great as the Dwarfs(they sound way too much like children in the new dub). And the show could have really benefited from it as it already has issues artistically compared to the great visuals of the J.C Staff adaptation.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
The first two episodes of the anime didn't buy me at all despite nostalgia power but episode 3 killed me because of how different was the narrative from the original anime, especially with the disturbing deaths. It was like surviving to a horror visual novel but alone. Majic and Cleo feel a bit different in this anime so I have no idea what they plan to do with them besides making them interact with Orphen.

The flashbacks help a lot to feel the weight of episode 3 considering we are knowing people who have been brutally murdered. However, whatever the writer is trying to do with Azalie is confusing considering not even Orphen has a clear idea what to do in regards to her especially with the rushed season finale
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
As a big fan of fantasy anime who had never seen the original Orphen, I wanted to like this but it came across too cliche and the animation shortcuts became too obvious. I don’t expect every anime to look like a masterpiece and this isn’t the worst looking show I’ve seen, but it just became too much of a distraction for me. I might eventually go back and watch the original show sometime because I like the original’s old school art style. I’m glad it got a decent review but from what I’ve heard the novels are very popular in Japan, so I don’t know why this didn’t get a better production.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:49 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
The first two episodes of the anime didn't buy me at all despite nostalgia power but episode 3 killed me because of how different was the narrative from the original animee
Apparently, this newer adaptation is way closer to the novels then the original series was. It also, shocked me how Cleo and Majic felt quite a bit different than the first series.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Is it as good as the first season of Orphen = Hell no
Is it better than Revenge = Yes... Very Yes

I liked it and I'm looking forward to the sequel. Most of my love for it is based off of pure nostalgia, I don't know if I could recommend it especially since the original is already on HIDIVE atm.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:59 am Reply with quote
I am reading the new manga adaptation for this one and enjoying that more.

For one thing, it's a lot funnier (at least funnier than the subbed version of this show) Also read a chapter of the novel and enjoyed that too. I'm thinking about getting the kindle version because I am running out of room for books in here. Laughing

@MarshalBanana

Actually the dwarves sound like children in the sub too...I was very surprised at their child-like voices. lol
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:33 am Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
Is it as good as the first season of Orphen = Hell no
Is it better than Revenge = Yes... Very Yes

To be fair being better than Revenge is a very low bar Laughing

I liked the remake overall, but the worst thing about it was the budget. Lack of one, that is. I did find myself missing the gorgeous visuals of the original series. The original didn't have the most amazing animation itself, but the art was a lot more detailed and crisp. Also some of the filler was fairly entertaining.. but luckily we're getting more of the reboot.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
I did find myself missing the gorgeous visuals of the original series.

I know what you mean. When I compare the look of the 90s OP to this new series...I kinda wanna cry. Laughing
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:29 pm Reply with quote
My knowledge of this franchise stopped at the fact it existed, but seeing the review reminded me of the new show and pushed me to seek it out. I was not disappointed. It is a lot of fun, the story is gripping despite its shortcomings, the world is interesting, and spoiler[Azalie] is a better MC than the MC! Also, contrary to most, I loved the magic and CQB's animation. It is definitely better than average for modern anime, as sad as that is. I might pick up the novels and I cannot wait for season 2!
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
How do you rate an overall dub for the entire season when there's still 5 episodes yet to be dubbed?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:16 am Reply with quote
I wonder with this new anime out if there's any chance of the light novels getting licensed?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:31 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I wonder with this new anime out if there's any chance of the light novels getting licensed?

Yup, it's already been released Smile

https://j-novel.club/s/sorcerous-stabber-orphen/search?curFilter=%7B%22order%22%3A%22title+ASC%22%2C%22keyword%22%3A%22orphen%22%2C%22type%22%3A%22Novel%22%7D&curModel=series

E-book format only but that's better than not at all. I might get them. I don't have a kindle but there's a app you can get for your PC so...... Wink
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:19 am Reply with quote
I never saw the original but the first few episodes of the new series were solid. I wish it would’ve gotten episode reviews just because they give me more motivation to keep up with a show. Maybe season 2 will get them if it airs in a “light” season.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:25 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:
I did find myself missing the gorgeous visuals of the original series.

I know what you mean. When I compare the look of the 90s OP to this new series...I kinda wanna cry. Laughing
It's a shame, the show in isolation looks fine. But compared to J.C Saffs version, it has no personality in its art.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2