• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tencent Subsidiary Becomes Game Developer, Publisher Marvelous' Primary Shareholder

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casenumber00

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:04 am Reply with quote
Heard that Tencent has penchant for ruining games after they invest money into companies. Might be due to spreading the soft powers of China. Considering what China is doing on their Steam client, of oppression, limiting freedom, and exporting it, I am alarmed.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:40 am Reply with quote
TenCent is rapidly becoming the Jormungandr of the gaming world, slurping everything into its infinite maw. If things continue on like this, they'll eventually control the entire industry.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:32 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
TenCent is rapidly becoming the Jormungandr of the gaming world, slurping everything into its infinite maw. If things continue on like this, they'll eventually control the entire industry.

Or be crushed under its own weight, but I'm an optimist. Sorry Rune Factory 5, but I don't feel comfortable supporting Tencent. I guess I better buy it used.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Now it makes me wonder how it would bode for titles like Senran Kagura. Then again, Senran Kagura 7even has been in development hell last I heard.

Though as far as I can see, even though Tencent or Image Frame is the primary shareholder, it's only 20%. Makes me wonder how much power or say they actually hold.
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:00 am Reply with quote
I can only hope that we don't see an increase in censorship following this move.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:43 am Reply with quote
If the name Hayao Nakayama rings a bell, he led Sega from 1983 to 1999. He left after a planned takeover of Bandai broke down. Now there's an interesting alternate history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1