• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magic Knight Rayearth 25th Anniversary Box Set

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, mkr already deconstructed (or at least subverted ) the isekai genre, back in the early 90s. regarding the review, I fouudn the second half to be very somber, because of the big spoiler at the end of the first half, so it's weird reading that that one is lighter.
kpossibles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:42 pm Reply with quote
For more pictures of the box set, make sure to view it here: animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-11-09/sneak-preview-kodansha-comics-25th-anniversary-edition-of-clamp-magic-knight-rayearth/.153115

Magic Knight Rayearth was the origin of Mokona, for any Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle fans out there Anime smile
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I fouudn the second half to be very somber, because of the big spoiler at the end of the first half, so it's weird reading that that one is lighter.

I hadn't thought of it that way; you're right, that does give it at least a more somber start. I was thinking more in the sense that spoiler[part two significantly ups the romantic component, which is almost entirely absent from part one, but more that it gives the girls a chance to do over their experience - they can't bring Emeraude back to life, but they also get to have a shot at a more traditional happy ending and adventure.]
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:53 pm Reply with quote
MKR was the second CLAMP manga I read after getting into CCS way back in my high school days. It was also one of the first anime and manga series I got into that wasn't previously broadcast on Cartoon Network or Saturday mornings. MKR had a big influence on me in what kind of anime and manga I enjoy reading, especially with the shojo genre. The plot twist at the end of the first arc was just so shocking to me at the time and even years later I feel like it still holds up as a really good twist. In regards to which arc is "lighter" I feel like both arcs have a good balance of darker tones and a more optimistic message which is part of what I love about MKR above a lot of modern dark magical girl anime that always seem to rely too heavily on shock value as the main selling point over just telling a compelling story.

Although Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu are somewhat archetypical leads, I do love their bond and Umi will always be my personal favorite. I also love the supporting cast, especially Ascot and Caldina, and I love how in MKR no one is truly 100% evil but everyone has their own reasons for their actions. That was what made MKR really stand out to me in my youth coming right after getting really big into Sailor Moon which is still a personal favorite as well but Sailor Moon, especially in the manga, had a bit more of the traditional good vs evil tropes going on. I also agree the artwork in the manga is stunning and I love how flowing the characters' hair are. I wish CLAMP would return to this classic shojo art style more over their more recent CLAMP noodle style that they rely a lot more on in their more modern works.

Another interesting aspect of MKR that I love about isn't just that it was one of the earlier fantasy isekai hits but it was also one of the first genre bending manga that really mixed in mecha with magical girl shojo like Escaflowne would do a few years later. It makes me wonder if Escaflowne drew any inspiration from MKR and I wish we would have more of these kind of genre bending shows in modern anime and manga. I still have my ye olde Tokyopop release as the new release is it a bit too pricey for me and I wish they would at least release separate volumes like they did with Sailor Moon. I did get a chance to preview the new release as a sample in the Otaku USA magazine and the artwork looks even more impressive in a larger size.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
sounds awesome. where can i buy it tho
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Got mine from Right Stuf.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Rightstuf packages their products REALLY well too. If you buy the set from amazon there's a good chance it will get damaged, which is what you don't want to happen with a $100 limited edition series....
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Very nice to have these sets available, along with Discotek's blu-rays of the TV series. About all we're missing now is the OVA. It looks like Anime Limited's set coming out in the UK soon has that on DVD, so I hope for it here too in the future.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Rightstuf packages their products REALLY well too. If you buy the set from amazon there's a good chance it will get damaged, which is what you don't want to happen with a $100 limited edition series....

^This.

Also, the second box set is up for pre-order already on Amazon and Right Stuf. For some reason Amazon isn't offering any discount, at least at the moment. Release date is set for October 27.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:44 am Reply with quote
Does anyone have any idea why CLAMP splatters what appears to be white ink over almost all of their color artwork??
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:14 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Does anyone have any idea why CLAMP splatters what appears to be white ink over almost all of their color artwork??

its white ink, some artists like to do that.. effects/last touch/it gives the feeling that it was done by a pro..
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:25 am Reply with quote
Rayearth is one of those shows that packs a lot of “anime” into its story (namely tropes and ideas synonymous with the medium) but it’s probably the best at balancing it all among shows that try to do that. I’m glad it got a nice maxi premium box set.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:32 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Well, at least I was one of the lucky few that didn't get mines damaged from amazon, at least. I've yet to check it out, but you know, backlog and stuff. Though that might change once I may check out the second manga box set.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I need this. This show always had a soft spot in my heart. It was one of the very first shoujo titles I ever read and really broadened my horizons. I loved the tv series as well. While I acknowledge if I am being honest it is far from a masterpiece, it's just one of those titles that always stuck with me. I guess the best quality I got from it was it's sincerity. You really wanted to root for the girls to vanquish Zagato and get back to their lives.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1