• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Awful Horror Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loveliver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Blood-C. The best comedy of 2011!

For as much as the ending wound up alienating the audience, there's no denying that spoiler[the Truman Show-esque plot twist] was decent and well-foreshadowed without being too predictable.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I feel like there's far more bad horror anime than good, which is disappointing because I love horror. Maybe we could get a list of the good ones that are less ubiquitous, if such titles exist?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

For as much as the ending wound up alienating the audience, there's no denying that spoiler[the Truman Show-esque plot twist] was decent and well-foreshadowed without being too predictable.

though the movie did help remove the flaws from the tv series!

however, can we all agree that CLAMP & horror genres DO NOT MIX WHATSOEVER?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Sad that no one remembers Blood+, of which Blood C is a poor remake. Blood+ has been unavailable for so long, yet you can buy Blood C anywhere.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I found Another to be really dumb. It was like the anime version of Final Destination. Topped off with Japanese school girls becoming manically laughing psychos at the end.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Sad that no one remembers Blood+, of which Blood C is a poor remake. Blood+ has been unavailable for so long, yet you can buy Blood C anywhere.

I remember Blood+, that's actually the only show I've seen out of the Blood franchise. I've seen clips of Blood-C and always thought it just looks like a dumb gorefest.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="jr240483"]
Takkun4343 wrote:
however, can we all agree that CLAMP & horror genres DO NOT MIX WHATSOEVER?

No, I don't think we can. xxxHoLic occasionally ventured into horror (or maybe suspense) with some success.

Another unexpected success at horror is Rumiko Takahashi, with OAVs like Firestarter, and Mermaid Forest and Mermaid Scar. There was a TV series done with the Mermaid saga, but I have never watched it, though I don't remember anyone expressing any disappointmen in it.

Some of the Vampire Princess Miyu OVA episodes were fairly creepy. The TV series, on the other hand, was a major disappointment.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I threw in Shikibane Hime (Corpse Princess). It wasn't too bad at first, but then it started getting worse and worse. Eventually, it turned incomprehensible, then it just... stopped. Really, the whole thing was just senseless. A pretty big disappointment considering how well it started out.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Ooof, someone recognized "King's Game."

That anime was such utter trash. I watched the dub and liked the voice cast, but everything else about it was just unbearable.

The prequel to the anime series (King's Game: Origin) is on Crunchyroll for free. The manga, anyway. It's slightly better, but most of the characters (as the anime) are unlikeable.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Not into horror per-se, but I'll defend Shikabane Hime. I thought it was fairly decent and always made sense. It stopped at an OK point because it caught up to the still-running manga if that is what is meant by "just ended". All major arcs were logically finished and while Hokuto wasn't finished off, they wrapped it by portraying Makina and her in an eternal struggle to remain human and "alive". Blood+ was OK as well but I possibly mistakenly thought Blood-C was just a continuation and never watched it.

For "good" horror, does Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul qualify? While not an anime technically, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within made me sick watching it and very disturbed so I'd say it was a good horror film.
gilnokoibito

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who enjoyed King's Game...
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
No-one brought up The Lost Village ? The anime so bad that when it aired, people were having serious debates over whether it was just naturally bad, or the director was trolling us?
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

I legit can't hate the series purely because of the last episode making me laugh so much.

Whats sad is the movie was actually decent. I really think the series could have worked had what we got for the whole show only been a 2-4 episode first arc.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood+ was legit one of my favorite anime its deacde. Er, still is. Really is a great show overall. I had hopes for C- because of my love for Blood+. Oh boy did that one hurt
Zen119

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, Another, Blood-C and Mayoiga(The Lost Village) were directed by Tsutomu Mizushima, who’s good with Comedy but is currently unsuccessful with Horror.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3