• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Pokémon Journeys: The Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One of the criticisms I always had with the original series' was that Ash's relationships never felt as developed as they should have been; I already care way more about Goh than I ever did Gary, or Tracey, or most of the other revolving companions.
This is something pokemon has really changed as of the X and Y series, when the show introduced Serena in X and Y with the traveling companions and continued it with Sun and Moon were they put Ash in a classroom and got to interact with his classmates, well also living with Professor Kukui and have a father-son relationship develop between the two. The first time I think it was truly implemented, that I think worked really well was Paul, Ash's rival from Diamond and Pearl were the two had openly different styles on being a pokemon trainer and everytime they battled or met you saw how different each other was.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To be honest, one of the big grey areas of this whole introductory set of episode is how fast and loose it plays as a reboot. There's a one-off line about Ash and Pikachu having had all sorts of adventures together, but the rest of the story plays very much like Ash is just now starting out on his trek across the world. I suppose time will tell if familiar faces show up as old friends, completely new acquaintances, or not at all.

I wouldn't worry too much about this part, James. Pretty much every new "series" of the anime since Black & White has been essentially a soft reboot. There are a few references or nods whenever it's useful in promoting some part of the larger franchise (Like Brock & Misty getting a few episodes in the Sun & Moon series when Let's Go! Pikachu/Eevee came out) but it never gets too concerned with continuity. Journies in particular is designed to introduce new kids to Pokemon in general so it goes a little further in skimming over past seasons, but I don't imagine it'll be too different.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Ok I must admit, this has been the review section I've been the most interested in seeing because I mean.... it's Pokemon. Is there really that much to say about it? Was there truly that much of an interest to seriously talk about it? I suppose so...

As far as this being a reboot, it's really not but I wouldn't worry about it much, this series so far has been purely episodic and they only reference older events in as much as it matters to the episode at hand.

While I don't have any real issue with Ash, I too have wondered why exactly he's stuck around for so long. My only guess is that he'll leave once Rica Matsumoto retires at this rate, she seems genuinely passionate about playing the character for the kids who're watching. I can understand wanting to keep a consistent recognizable face for the anime, and while they have done a few neat things with him here and there, he mostly feels like a load the creators have to deal with more than anything else.

Oh well, I personally liked him in the sun and moon series and his dynamic with Go has been pretty fun from the episodes I've seen (which is all the Japanese ones, I like cheese too but the dub just ain't my kind of cheese anymore ya feel me?)

Much as I love the Sun and Moon cast I agree Go has been pretty great, there is ONE aspect of his character I don't care for, which is how he actually winds up catching Pokemon (I KNOW it's a nod to the phone game but SERIOUSLY it's so lame and BORING!) but everything else about him as been solid as far as kid show characters go.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Finally, sorry sub fans, but there's apparently no Japanese language option at all for this release on Netflix

Well, a subtitled original dub has never seen the light of day on legal streaming sites or home video, but its still quite disappointing to hear.
ETX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:51 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Quote:
To be honest, one of the big grey areas of this whole introductory set of episode is how fast and loose it plays as a reboot. There's a one-off line about Ash and Pikachu having had all sorts of adventures together, but the rest of the story plays very much like Ash is just now starting out on his trek across the world. I suppose time will tell if familiar faces show up as old friends, completely new acquaintances, or not at all.

I wouldn't worry too much about this part, James. Pretty much every new "series" of the anime since Black & White has been essentially a soft reboot. There are a few references or nods whenever it's useful in promoting some part of the larger franchise (Like Brock & Misty getting a few episodes in the Sun & Moon series when Let's Go! Pikachu/Eevee came out) but it never gets too concerned with continuity. Journies in particular is designed to introduce new kids to Pokemon in general so it goes a little further in skimming over past seasons, but I don't imagine it'll be too different.

Except that's not the case at all. If anything the Black & White series was the soft reboot and the only series to mainly break the continuity in that sense.

As for these reviews, it's sad that the dub version will be reviewed. The fact they personally remove all the original music and OST's, replacing them with audio that doesn't fit the scenes will never sit right with me at all. Sub or bust.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:19 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Actually I'd say this is probably the series you'll miss the most things with if you haven't seen any of the previous series. We're not even 2 cours into it and we've seen numerous characters from the older series return. The most recent episode brought back two fan favorite supporting characters from the XY anime. No doubt we'll be seeing even more characters from all the series as it goes on since this is a 'world tour' kinda series and revisiting a bunch of old places Satoshi has been.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Quote:
Finally, sorry sub fans, but there's apparently no Japanese language option at all for this release on Netflix

Well, a subtitled original dub has never seen the light of day on legal streaming sites or home video, but its still quite disappointing to hear.

There is actually one exception to this, also released on Netflix earlier this year. Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution actually had the original Japanese audio as an option. (The Japanese opening and ending themes were replaced with the English dub themes, but otherwise it was the same as what Japan got.)

I’m not a hardcore sub kinda gal, but replacing the original Japanese music score is a line I don’t like to cross. As such, I’ve no real interest in following Journeys.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Other than some of the recent movies, I haven't kept up with the Pokemon dub in a long time since they switched over to the new cast as it was hard for me to get used to the new cast and it didn't ever sit well with me how TPCI treated the original cast. But I checked out the Pokemon Journeys dub out of curiosity and honestly other than the changed music which I just pretty much have come to expect out of the dub, the dub is really good. While I'll always love Veronica as Ash, Sarah has really grown into her own with the role and she sounds like a natural in this role. Goh's VA is a natural fit at making him this goofball dork and I enjoy Cherami Leigh as Chole. Team Rocket's VAs have also grown on me more lately. Aside from the music, the dub is pretty closely following the original so far.

As for this series, I'm enjoying it so far and I love the dynamic between Ash and Goh and I appreciate Goh is capturing more Pokemon in a single episode than Ash did in most seasons. It finally feels like the show is putting the emphasis on the gotta catch em all aspect when it seemed like previous seasons were more focused on gym battles and the Pokemon League. If I had any criticism of this season so far, I feel like Ash's stated goal of becoming a Pokemon Master comes across as kind of vague since he already won the Alola League and I'm not sure why the show isn't acknowledging Ash kind of is a Pokemon Master now.

And I thought this show was also supposed to be a tie in with the recent Pokemon Masters mobile game though they seem to be focused more entirely on the Pokemon Go aspect. I also can't say I'm a big fan of the roulette system Team Rocket is using as part of their charm to me has always been their deep bonds with their Pokemon they form every season as opposed to them just using a different random Pokemon each episode. But I'm enjoying this show a lot so far and the dub is honestly pretty good now and I'm looking forward to seeing where this show goes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:33 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Other than some of the recent movies, I haven't kept up with the Pokemon dub in a long time since they switched over to the new cast as it was hard for me to get used to the new cast and it didn't ever sit well with me how TPCI treated the original cast. But I checked out the Pokemon Journeys dub out of curiosity and honestly other than the changed music which I just pretty much have come to expect out of the dub, the dub is really good. While I'll always love Veronica as Ash, Sarah has really grown into her own with the role and she sounds like a natural in this role. Goh's VA is a natural fit at making him this goofball dork and I enjoy Cherami Leigh as Chole. Team Rocket's VAs have also grown on me more lately. Aside from the music, the dub is pretty closely following the original so far.

As for this series, I'm enjoying it so far and I love the dynamic between Ash and Goh and I appreciate Goh is capturing more Pokemon in a single episode than Ash did in most seasons. It finally feels like the show is putting the emphasis on the gotta catch em all aspect when it seemed like previous seasons were more focused on gym battles and the Pokemon League. If I had any criticism of this season so far, I feel like Ash's stated goal of becoming a Pokemon Master comes across as kind of vague since he already won the Alola League and I'm not sure why the show isn't acknowledging Ash kind of is a Pokemon Master now.

And I thought this show was also supposed to be a tie in with the recent Pokemon Masters mobile game though they seem to be focused more entirely on the Pokemon Go aspect. I also can't say I'm a big fan of the roulette system Team Rocket is using as part of their charm to me has always been their deep bonds with their Pokemon they form every season as opposed to them just using a different random Pokemon each episode. But I'm enjoying this show a lot so far and the dub is honestly pretty good now and I'm looking forward to seeing where this show goes.

but thats the real question! how did they EVEN got miss leigh for the tv series considering she's both a TX and a LA union VA!?

its not like she's an independent VA which is how they got dan green in best wishes (black & white) as well as the arceus movie and its also how they were able to get vic mignonga for the keldeo movie! nor did they exclusively hired studiopolis or bang zoom , like in those ova specials which is how they got JYB to play as takashi in the red and green special ova!

it must have cost PUSA a crapload of money to get her to be in this pokemon tv series considering on how long it is! not to mention that it might conflict with her schedule if it drags on for too long since we all know that the 100 yr quest arc of fairy tail will be getting a tv series soon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:41 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
it must have cost PUSA a crapload of money to get her to be in this pokemon tv series considering on how long it is! not to mention that it might conflict with her schedule if it drags on for too long since we all know that the 100 yr quest arc of fairy tail will be getting a tv series soon!

Do we know that though? Also even if its true, as much as Cherami LOVES playing Lucy I'm sure she will try and find a way to record if the show is ever greenlit. She still does Railgun after all.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:33 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

but thats the real question! how did they EVEN got miss leigh for the tv series considering she's both a TX and a LA union VA!?

its not like she's an independent VA which is how they got dan green in best wishes (black & white) as well as the arceus movie and its also how they were able to get vic mignonga for the keldeo movie! nor did they exclusively hired studiopolis or bang zoom , like in those ova specials which is how they got JYB to play as takashi in the red and green special ova!

TPCI is now dubbing from LA while still utilizing their NY cast. That's why you're seeing a lot of LA actors in this dub and not just Cherami Leigh. There's other LA actors in this too like Erica Mendez and Michelle Ruff.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:14 am Reply with quote
I dunno, personally I always felt scorbunny was a design that felt like it was trying a little too hard to make me think it's the greatest thing ever giving me the opposite reaction to it than, well, basically everyone else on the internet. I'm more of a grookey guy myself. Still I do appreciate Goh's scorbunny and what it offers for the show so I'm able to put aside my bias against it in that regard.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely a Grooky man myself, though that's only if we take the full evolutionary line into account. If we're only looking at the initial forms of the starters, then Sobble is actually my favorite.

Nothing against those who prefer Scorbunny, I just prefer my starters to be less clearly anthropomorphic.
peno

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I don't like any of the Galor region starters. They all look ugly and their evolved forms feel shallow and uninspiring, being single type and all. Though I still like them more than the Alola starters who look better, but are all way too slow for my liking and battle style, so, I eventually put both Inceniroar from my Moon and Primarina from my Ultra Sun to the box and replaced them with faster Pokémon, something I never did in any other Pokémon game. At least not before I finished the main story.

But I digress here and this is not a debate about Pokémon games, this is debate about Pokémon anime. And I have to say I like Pokémon Journey so far. The only complaint I have is Goh's Pokémon Go style of catching Pokémon, which in anime world feels almost cheaty, since all the previous Pokémon anime series made it clear that Pokémon has to be weakened. But other than that, I love what I saw so far. The two biggest problems I've had with SM anime were too many characters and that the series eventually fallen into the same formula as any previous series, albeit with different props. With Journey they really try something different and it really feels new and refreshing. On top of that, Goh is getting as much screen time and for now also character development, that it no longer feels that Ash is the only hero of the show and I have to say it was about time. Even in DP, where Dawn was marketed as equal to Ash, to the point they included her name to the blurb at the beginning in Japanese version, she never really was and eventually fall into the usual sidekick role all her predecessors and successors had. That is except for Goh for now. And I really strongly hope this will not turn to another DP disappointment. That's my opinion.
Silasa00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
With Journey they really try something different and it really feels new and refreshing. On top of that, Goh is getting as much screen time and for now also character development, that it no longer feels that Ash is the only hero of the show and I have to say it was about time. Even in DP, where Dawn was marketed as equal to Ash, to the point they included her name to the blurb at the beginning in the Japanese version, she never really was and eventually fall into the usual sidekick role all her predecessors and successors had. That is except for Goh for now. And I really strongly hope this will not turn to another DP disappointment. That's my opinion.

Yeah, it's interesting that Journeys is the first to promote a new anime original character as a co-protagonist, and not just a new traveling friend, rival, or partner like the previous seasons. Goh has been a surprising easy character to warm up to. I haven't seriously kept up with Pokemon since halfway through black and white, but I appreciate this new direction with the show. It feels more SoL and chill to me, it's almost calming to watch.

Also I actually really like Team Rockets new gacha format for pokemon battles. It helps keep the battles from getting too stale by reusing the same pokemon all the time, and it made their immediate concern over their pokemon of the day's injuries all the cuter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3