• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: EVO Cancels Online Tournament After Allegations Against Co-Founder

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:08 pm Reply with quote
what this article also doesn't cover is also how the entire Super Smash Bros professional scene was ousted as a pedophile sex cult conspiracy and that everything is in shambles right now.

It's been one hell of a day for fighting games.
loveliver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:22 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
what this article also doesn't cover is also how the entire Super Smash Bros professional scene was ousted as a pedophile sex cult conspiracy and that everything is in shambles right now.

I believe Leffen is still good, especially after this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y9Mfch7XXg
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
loveliver wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

I believe Leffen is still good, especially after this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y9Mfch7XXg

maybe. But still, the magnitude of recent events is unfathomable considering all the names.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:00 pm Reply with quote
wow..just researched all this stuff. good god. wow
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:28 am Reply with quote
Somehow not at all surprised it was Mr. Core Values.. Although perhaps its for the best. An online fighting game tournament sounded like a recipe for disaster to begin with with all the concerns over netcode and disconnects. You don't want to end up like the Warcraft 3 Reforged tournament.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:58 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
An online fighting game tournament sounded like a recipe for disaster to begin with with all the concerns over netcode and disconnects. You don't want to end up like the Warcraft 3 Reforged tournament.

This is what everyone thought with the original lineup because none of them have good netcode (and MvC2 was out due to no way of using their Dreamcast disc) but when they changed it and added games with good netcode (Killer Instinct 2013, Mortal Kombat 11, Skullgirls & Them's Fighting Herds), there was some hope of it being good. Then came what happened with Mike Z and now this and well, it's all dead now.
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Any one have a good video that breaks this down?
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Do I need to do the research myself? Because all the news I see don't cover anything at all.

I don't think EVO online was a good idea, but to cancel it because of this is even dumber. Even if everything about the co-founder is true why does it matter for the event? If he has done something illegal just fire him, arrest him and go on.

Why do so many people think EVO (or any event organizer) has to do anything? It's not their responsibility to make background checks on everybody. As long as the persons are civilized at the event it's the responsibility of their countries judiciary.

The idea of a clean community in general is naive. There are always going to be not-so-nice-people, some worse than others, but you don't have to like them, they aren't there to be liked but to play. Just assure safety at the event and around it.
They are also from all over the world with different social background, some things may be fine in their country but aren't in the US (for example the legal age of drinking or consent).

I'm not defending those that do really bad things but I also don't believe every allegation I hear and I certainly don't think companies should get involved in private matters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1