• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Thai Protestors Sing Hamtaro Theme at Pro-Democracy Demonstration

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:58 pm Reply with quote
The hell? Why?

I mean, I love Hamtaro as much as the next person (Hey Discotek, you gonna license that yet?), but to use it as a means to protest against the government? Uhh...no, kids shows have no business being used as protest fuel.
kuronoire43

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:37 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
The hell? Why?

I mean, I love Hamtaro as much as the next person (Hey Discotek, you gonna license that yet?), but to use it as a means to protest against the government? Uhh...no, kids shows have no business being used as protest fuel.

I'll try doing some explanation from Thais viewpoint .

Since Thailand is in kinda military dictatorship so if people try to do an openly protest they may get arrest with weird case like 'breaking cleanliness act' since protester would walk on the street

Thais protester must use some other trick as a mean to protest. Like LGBTQ protesters group in Thailand use a quote from Thais famous LGBTQ as an opening scene of the protest before their agenda speech.

So the Gen Z protesters decide to use Hamtaro parody song as an opening scene for their protest (since Hamtaro is famous in both kids, teens, and adults). As it was shown in the news that the protesters feel Thai people is like a hamster in the cage also a government didn't do anything much like 'spinning its wheels'.

And many Thais adults always thought that Thais who love manga / anime / light novel never care for political things. So the protesters also show that Thai Otakus care about that too,
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
2020 continues to be the weirdest bingo card ever. Go get 'em, Ham-Hams! Very Happy
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Can I please have a video of this if possible I am just really curious
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
The hell? Why?

In the Southeast Asia region (and East Asia), anime and manga are often used as a medium for social critiques.
There are thousands of Doraemon memes in Indonesian made for criticizing the government and the current social standard.

That said, fans here always split political and hobby. They avoid using official hashtag or title so children or other fans will not discover any political discussion.
There are a case when a Japanese idol fan bringing politics in fandom and got instantly banned in various community gathering.

In retrospect, totally different from Western movement like BLM where you can literally follow any English fandom and still discover those politics no matter what you want to avoid the discussion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1