• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm Episodes 1-26 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
It is the characters in the series, that make it worth watching.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Rose, you've sold me on it. I'm sure the slower first half will appeal to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I really hope Crunchyroll/Viz/Discotek will figure out their bluray strategy sometime soon, I'd like to own this on bluray in less than the 4 years like it took for Konosuba.

Also would have been nice if the reviewer checked out at least some of the English dub. I rewatched it in dub and I personally thought it was very well done and either audio version would work for most people.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:31 am Reply with quote
Always like seeing takes on one of my favorites by others, as Rose brings up a few points about the series that I was aware of but don't think I ever properly expressed in my episode reviews. (I heartily agree with all of them, BTW.)

While I can also understand how some might see the series as too slow - and have definitely leveled that criticism against other series - this one never bothered me in the slightest on that point.. I was just too fascinated by what the series was doing, how it was presenting its world-building, and of course Myne herself. (And towards the end Ferdinand, too.) I would love to see this on Blu-Ray at some point so I can show it to some people who don't do Crunchyroll; hopefully it won't take as long as it did with KONOSUBA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Netero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Main can grow in power and knowledge but she'll never fully escape where she came from, and she wouldn't want to; if she had to hide her loving but poor family away, that wouldn't be worth it to her.

spoiler[Oh dear, if only life in Ehrenfest were that simple.]
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:08 am Reply with quote
I've loved this series since the first episode, in a fantasy series world building is the 2nd most important thing with characterization being the 1st and this series does both in spades. I've seen the lead character's name spelled as Mine and Myne, Myne is my preferred spelling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1