• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Adult Swim Announce Shenmue Anime Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this is a good anime, unlike most other anime based on SEGA franchises. Remember Sonic X? Yeah, that show was REALLY bad, even in its original Japanese version.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:39 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Hopefully this is a good anime, unlike most other anime based on SEGA franchises. Remember Sonic X? Yeah, that show was REALLY bad, even in its original Japanese version.

Sonic as a franchise has not been good in decades. And Shenmue 3 was a disaster
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:01 pm Reply with quote
yeah, no thanks.

1. Shemue doesn't have an ending despite being 20+ year's old. So what's the point ?
2. CR and AS pushing their western influence has not worked out well ever
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Shemue doesn't have an ending despite being 20+ year's old. So what's the point ?

Giving it an ending.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:13 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

What about Virtua Fighter and Sakura Wars? I haven't seen those adaptations but Sakura Wars was kind of popular
I'm not very familiar with Shenmue, I know that the original game was a very ambitious for it's time but the third game wasn't very well received.from what I've heard
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:13 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

Sonic X wasn't that bad. It had good music and compared to the other cartoons based on the franchise it was the only one that really emulated the games decently enough. The human kids were pointless but they did some interesting things.

Shenmue though? Can't really see this working too well. Shenmue wasn't about the story so much as the exploration and world. Being able to interact and examine everything like opening cabinets and drawers or buying and collecting gashapon machiens and arcades, going to work by driving forklifts and doing stuff, the combat blended fighting games and pretty much created QTE It was a huge prototype to the modern open world style game and laid the groundwork for a lot of stuff like Yakuza. Taking away all the gameplay and atmosphere and you're left with a fairly typical revenge story. I'll check it out but I'm not expecting much unless they completely do their own direction and flesh it out.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
yeah, no thanks.

1. Shemue doesn't have an ending despite being 20+ year's old. So what's the point ?
2. CR and AS pushing their western influence has not worked out well ever

Well to be fair Shenmue not having an ending pretty much makes it consistent with 90% of anime series today. lol
Freyanne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

I'm not very familiar with Shenmue, I know that the original game was a very ambitious for it's time but the third game wasn't very well received.from what I've heard

Based on what I heard about Shenmue 3, including a review from someone who was a huge fan of Shenmue beforehand, it was like "waiting all these years for at least a decent sequel, only to get what was pretty much a filler game/episode."
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Will it have a good dub or will they insist on the crap dub because it’s “tradition” or some nonsense?
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't expect Shenmue to get a anime adaptation. I'm sure a lot of the fans that grew up playing this game will probably be happy for this (assuming they have watched any anime).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Shemue doesn't have an ending despite being 20+ year's old. So what's the point ?

Giving it an ending.

That’s not what this is going to be. I got the press release in my work email (I get the occasional anime or Yoshiki-related press release in my inbox at a Baltimore news-talker for whatever reason). What this sounds like is a retelling of the story up to this point or some other point before the end of Shenmue III, at least out to Guilin (the end of Shenmue II).

I feel good about this. I feel good about the talent involved. I hope it gets more people interested in and talking about Shenmue.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Will it have a good dub or will they insist on the crap dub because it’s “tradition” or some nonsense?

Shenmue III had a lot of professional VA's in the cast (Brianna Knickerbocker, Greg Chun, Kyle McCarley) so I think it's likely they'll reprise for the anime.

(Granted that doesn't necessarily indicate the actual quality of the dub, but that's dependent on a lot of factors).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:47 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Shenmue III had a lot of professional VA's in the cast (Brianna Knickerbocker, Greg Chun, Kyle McCarley) so I think it's likely they'll reprise for the anime.

(Granted that doesn't necessarily indicate the actual quality of the dub, but that's dependent on a lot of factors).

And they all intentionally acted terribly because that’s Shenmue tradition.

https://youtu.be/ii0rb2AmXDo

Even on Twitter, people are asking for an intentionally awful dub. Which is stupid.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:28 am Reply with quote
So THAT's where the rest of 3's KickStarter money went?

Your move now Inafune!
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
Now we can get a fully realised experienced of working a job as a dock cargo driver, waiting around for time to pass and asking kids about collectable gatchapon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3