• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Eternal Films Post Clip Teasing Zirconia's Cast Member

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:30 am Reply with quote
Neat idea for a promo! The teaser looks great. My only nitpick is I don't like the new voice of Zirconia as much, but it's not Death Phantom bad or anything at least.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:31 am Reply with quote
Uh...I don't know who the voice is, but I can say that Zirconia looks like she should and the atmosphere with the mirror looks dark and creepy.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:45 am Reply with quote
I saw quite a few people on Japanese Twitter suggesting it's the actress Naomi Watanabe playing Zirconia but I have no idea personally who it could be. But I think she sounds great though I'll always love the original VA and I think the animation is looking pretty good from this clip. I'm glad we're starting to get more footage now instead of just stock animation footage like we've gotten before. Now we just need to see Nehelenia.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:13 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Uh...I don't know who the voice is, but I can say that Zirconia looks like she should and the atmosphere with the mirror looks dark and creepy.

We seemed to get our first glimpse of the manga Lemures at the end of it as well! (the black sphere things)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:25 am Reply with quote
And now we know Eternal part 1 is going to be an 80 minute movie. I was hoping it would be at least an 1 hr 40 min but that would still be the longest Sailor Moon movie we've had yet and cover around the length of four episodes. https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1303230339070877696
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:42 am Reply with quote
80 minute movie? Why? That doesn't sound like nearly enough to cover the important material in the manga.
Megax36

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:03 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
80 minute movie? Why? That doesn't sound like nearly enough to cover the important material in the manga.

My guess is the first movie will cover the Amazon trio and the second will cover the Amazoness Quartet along with Nehelenia.

What will be interesting to see, is if they will use the second film to complete Nehelenia's story arc or if they will phase it into the beginning of the film/series that will cover the Stars arc like the original anime did. (NOTE: I never read the manga so I'm not sure what differences there were from the original anime)
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:47 am Reply with quote
What happened in the original anime did not happen in the manga concerning Nehelenia. I always felt like that part was to make up for how Super S turned out, an "apologies, should have always been Super S from the start", deal lol!

Still a bit mix on the movies. Rather this has been a series, but maybe they can do it well. Wish the best.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:

We seemed to get our first glimpse of the manga Lemures at the end of it as well! (the black sphere things)

Yeah!! I'm excited to see those little ones animated!! <3
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

It isn't from what I can tell, without compressing things or something, which isn't good at all, but even when Crystal tried to go through the manga's story with their scene by scene replications, the story of the majority of the episodes still felt rushed.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

The story arc does not last as long as you think it does. The Amazon trio each are killed off in like one encounter during the power-up phases. They go to find the Golden Crystal, find out some history, and then its end-game for the arc. The original SuperS anime was padded to heck and back because the manga was still being in progress and they decided not to do the same with Stars which is why the entire section that will cover Stars will be 100% different than the original anime.

The entire Arc is only around 10 or 11 (?) chapters. Really short considering it takes about 3-4 chapters to make around 1 episode of a series usually. 80 minutes is plenty of time to cover these chapters if you count the lack of transformations that will be in this particular section and the lack of opening and ending credits per episode per normal (which usually would bring an anime episode to 16 minutes).

Both the Dream arc and the following arc are really short.

Chaos moves fast in the manga.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping it would be a little longer so it won’t feel so rushed but I think 80 minutes will be enough time to cover the Amazon Trio arc. As I mentioned before, 80 minutes is about the length of four episodes. The first four chapters cover up to Jupiter’s dream but this arc is pretty formulaic at the beginning so I imagine they will streamline some things to end it at the big cliffhanger moment with Venus. Then part 2 can pick up with the Outers. As mentioned above they can cover a lot more ground if they only do the stock footage one or two times and hopefully they can bring the real time attacks they had in the first season of Crystal. I loved those real time attacks so I would be very happy if they were brought back for Eternal. I do hope part 2 will be a little longer at least but I agree 80 minutes should be enough to cover the Amazon Trio arc. I think fans forget just how much the 90s SuperS anime really expanded on things.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I think it's possible to streamline the Dream arc into two films. It's just what might be omitted that worries me. Part of why the Dream arc is the most popular manga arc is due to it fleshing out the non-Moon/Chibi Moon/Tuxedo Mask cast members, and I'd hate to see them get the short end of the stick again.

But I feel cautiously optimistic now that we have a different writer at the helm. I feel we should at least give Part 1 a chance before panicking.

Lady Multi wrote:
The entire Arc is only around 10 or 11 (?) chapters. Really short considering it takes about 3-4 chapters to make around 1 episode of a series usually.

Isn't that the average for series based on weekly shonen manga? Moon is a monthly shojo series, which each chapter being anywhere between 50-70 pages in length. Crystal had been adapting it at one chapter per episode rate, and even split one chapter into a two-parter for the season 3 premiere.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:14 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
I think it's possible to streamline the Dream arc into two films. It's just what might be omitted that worries me. Part of why the Dream arc is the most popular manga arc is due to it fleshing out the non-Moon/Chibi Moon/Tuxedo Mask cast members, and I'd hate to see them get the short end of the stick again.

But I feel cautiously optimistic now that we have a different writer at the helm. I feel we should at least give Part 1 a chance before panicking.

Lady Multi wrote:
The entire Arc is only around 10 or 11 (?) chapters. Really short considering it takes about 3-4 chapters to make around 1 episode of a series usually.

Isn't that the average for series based on weekly shonen manga? Moon is a monthly shojo series, which each chapter being anywhere between 50-70 pages in length. Crystal had been adapting it at one chapter per episode rate, and even split one chapter into a two-parter for the season 3 premiere.

You are correct, it is 2 films; it was originally set to be 3 but they changed it to 2. That's TWO 80 minute movies which are 160 minutes to cover the story arc of the Dream Arc. Each of the other story arcs have averaged to about 13 episodes but that has been WITH padding that was not within the manga itself. Another chunk of it is the transformation and op/ed sequences so, again my 15-18 minute long actual content.

If you don't know, the Dream Arc covers an entire section where there are NO TRANSFORMATIONS from anyone because well spoiler[they all lost their ability to transform; and each have to go through their arcs. Rei's birds present Rei her crystal and Artemis turns human to save Minako are part of this section of them regaining their powers and them all becoming SUPER Sailors and gaining their new powers as representative Princesses of their Planets. Even the Outer Senshi power up during this arc. The remainder have them staying transformed for the duration.]... as result the interal filler is gone and the op/en padding is gone so if you just say how they'd turn this into an anime? It's prbly just be 6-8 episodes or padded AF. spoiler[Fish-eye, Tiger-eye, and Hawk-eye all get murdered during the power-ups of the Senshi. So they each only have ONE encounter with the Senshi at all before the Quartet step in.].

The entire story arc is more of a reveal of the fact that everyone is a Prince/Princess of the respective station and powering up instead of any conflict unlike the original anime. It's really brief and trying to chop this arc into sections for an anime would making it boring... Oh wait, that's right, the original SuperS WAS boring as much as the Dream Arc is my favorite of the manga... with Stars coming in a close 2nd.

I think the fact that the arcs were not adapted correctly years ago made them my favorite overall and is why I'm glad Crystal was announced to begin with, and why I love the SNES JRPG Sailor Moon Another Story cause it pretends that Sailor Moon Stars didn't exist as an anime and seemed to go more on the line of "manga" and "off screen" canon than anime-canon.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't think we can make assumptions yet that part 2 will also be an 80 minute film when we they've only said the time length for part 1 and part 2 could very well be a slightly longer film with the second film covering more of the plot and mythos building elements of the manga arc where I wouldn't want them to rush through that material. But the material part 1 is covering is more formulaic that wouldn't work as well in a movie format where they could trim some things and still make it work in an 80 minute time length. Personally I've come to enjoy the 90s SuperS more as I've gotten older as it's own separate thing where I like it for being a more laid back slice of life comedy with Ikuhara's trademark surrealist themes but I also love the Dream arc of the manga and I've also been mainly supporting Crystal to get accurate adaptations of Dream and Stars. The one thing I'm still wondering about how is how Eternal will handle the more body horror elements of the manga as the previous seasons have largely toned it down but will they be able to get away with including it more in a movie? I also wonder if they'll tone down the violence around the Trio's spoiler[deaths] in the manga.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2