• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeFan617
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I just watched it dubbed and it has not aged well. I can understand why it got a C grade.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:05 am Reply with quote
I love the original GITS but yeah I agree with the above about the dub and I wish they could redub it with the SAC cast.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
There was a video posted on twitter a couple days ago about there being a scene where the dub was like a quarter-second lagging behind the lip flaps. Is that true?

Anyways I need to rewatch this film, maybe this time subbed. I watched it dubbed with several of my friends some years ago in high school and we weren’t impressed and thought it was overhyped.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:32 am Reply with quote
Watched this last night in Japanese with English subs. I think it's overall quit great with its presentation. Someone at blu-ray.com did a tad more of an in-depth review on the remaster and noted that certain parts of the image were DNR'd, but other parts were not and still have grain. Apparently, it was a "can we get away with it here?" sort of thing. I think the image looks great, and it's not a smeary, blurry mess like Funimation's DBZ remasters or, from what I read on that same review, the 4K Akira remaster.

I enjoyed it, but the movie was a bit "meh" to me. Maybe I just want some action, maybe it's just not my thing. I think this is the only release of it I'll ever buy, and I'm happy with it. Didn't bother with the dub since I heard it kind of sucks.

The review I was talking about: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=18056457
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:20 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFan617 wrote:
I just watched it dubbed and it has not aged well. I can understand why it got a C grade.

Its mixed. Richard Epcar(Batou), Abe Lasser(Puppet Master) and William Frederick Knight(Aramaki) were great but the rest of the cast were boring. I wish it was redone with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Crispin Freeman.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I feel like GITS is one of those movies you watch more for the philosophical themes and the animation than a compelling story or character drama. In this regard, I respect the original for what it accomplished and it’s influence on sci-fi. But I personally like SAC and Innosense more.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:15 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah, sounds very nice, just gotta wait for my copy, so excited to see this new disc's picture quality on my OLED. Last time I watched the blu-ray was quite a while ago before my previous TV died so this'll be even more fun.

Levonr wrote:
AnimeFan617 wrote:

Its mixed. Richard Epcar(Batou), Abe Lasser(Puppet Master) and William Frederick Knight(Aramaki) were great but the rest of the cast were boring. I wish it was redone with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Crispin Freeman.

Yeah I think mixed is a good way to put it. I'd love to get to re-experience it at its full potential with the full SAC Section 9 too (and Ishikawa's VA since I kind of remember he was in it too though I don't remember how much anymore). Would have been a great additional track for one of these anniversary re-releases.

It's kinda cool that first time you realize a couple of the SAC cast, with Epcar and Knight, were actually in it already and even in their proper roles already in this first incarnation, it's no wonder they'd already felt so right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1