• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline Entertainment Website Lists Hollywood Gantz Adaptation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kokushibou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:25 am Reply with quote
Gantz's concept can be adapted and written in many ways, the author made it very clear himself. Seeing as how there are many versions of gantz story, some have different main characters, some take in different time period some even change the entire cast. If Marc can get the feeling of Gantz right then it's possible but seeing his previous mediocre works I doubt he'd be able to.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 am Reply with quote
For the longest time, I thought a Hollywood film adaptation of Gantz would be absolutely perfect and now here it is. I've never watched the past Gantz Live-action films from Japan but I sincerely doubt they hold a candle to the kind of potential a Hollywood Gantz film will have. With Gantz expansive setting, they're not even restricted to a Japan setting so they can go crazy with this one.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:40 am Reply with quote
...As long as it can be rated R to stay true to the feeling of the Manga, then I'm all for it.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:48 am Reply with quote
Well, Sony owns Funimation, which owns the rights to the Gantz anime. So, it makes sense.
matt78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Well, Sony owns Funimation, which owns the rights to the Gantz anime. So, it makes sense.

I think this is a direction that Sony should go. If they do it right anime/manga adaptions could be the thing Sony Entertainment needs to be successful again. Their only successful franchise right now is Spider-Man. The other franchises they own such as Men in Black and Ghostbusters didn't fair well the last time they put a movie out.

I wonder how hard it would be to get the Hollywood movie rights to Dragon Ball Z from Disney. I wouldn't think that they have any plans for it since Evolution bombed so badly.

DBZ, Gantz, Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia all have franchise potential for Sony if they make faithful adaptions.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

I think this is a direction that Sony should go. If they do it right anime/manga adaptions could be the thing Sony Entertainment needs to be successful again. Their only successful franchise right now is Spider-Man. The other franchises they own such as Men in Black and Ghostbusters didn't fair well the last time they put a movie out.

I wonder how hard it would be to get the Hollywood movie rights to Dragon Ball Z from Disney. I wouldn't think that they have any plans for it since Evolution bombed so badly.

DBZ, Gantz, Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia all have franchise potential for Sony if they make faithful adaptions.

That’s a great point! Live-action adaptations of anime could make great franchise potential for Sony Pictures, especially since they’re the last Hollywood studio owned by a Japanese company.
Super_M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
If that's would be movie I'm curious about budget because typically big budget hollywood movie are family-friendly with Gantz certainly isn't.

Last edited by Super_M on Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:

Not really. The rights to those franchises have already been purchased in the west so Sony is up a creek at this point. Warner owns AoT's rights, Lionsgate has the MHA rights and Disney has DB's rights.
matt78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
matt78 wrote:

Not really. The rights to those franchises have already been purchased in the west so Sony is up a creek at this point. Warner owns AoT's rights, Lionsgate has the MHA rights and Disney has DB's rights.

I knew that Disney had DBZ but couldn't remember if anyone had AoT and MHA. While those properties are out there are still dozens of other franchises that they could get the rights to and be successful.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
For the longest time, I thought a Hollywood film adaptation of Gantz would be absolutely perfect and now here it is. I've never watched the past Gantz Live-action films from Japan but I sincerely doubt they hold a candle to the kind of potential a Hollywood Gantz film will have. With Gantz expansive setting, they're not even restricted to a Japan setting so they can go crazy with this one.

In live action, Hollywood is unmatched (Until the studio gets nervous and cuts the Fx budget and scale).

The gold standard so far is the Gantz CG anime movie which was phenomenal!

Gantz could be adapted to America, but it'd be interesting to see how they adapt several aliens based on Japanese yokai, or are just outright statues of Buddha and other deities. Will they substitute angels and demons from Churches?

I imagine certain scenarios and aliens will be entirely modified and redesigned due to cultural sensitivities, so I'd expect more generic aliens with the same dimensions and powers.[/quote]
tboy1992

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:13 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
matt78 wrote:

I believe Legendary Entertainment has the live action rights to My Hero Academia while LionsGate has the live action rights to Naruto.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Gantz to me,was a series with a great concept,that would've worked better with someone who was actually a good writer. Hiroya Oku was really sloppy with it, especially when it came to characters. You could do an enjoyable Hollywood adaption of it,but I'm sure it will be dumb schlock at the end of the day.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I have 0 faith in this.

It is pretty clear that all that will be adapted is the concept, so don't expect any faithful adaptations of the characters or story arcs. None of the monsters, except for maybe the Green Onion alien and dinosaurs will make it in since the vast majority are based on Japanese folklore.

I can also see them sanitizing the content to get the more marketable PG-13 rating, but even if they go hard R it will only be for the violence. Gantz is a rare case where the sexual content actually matters to the story, but the sorts of issues Gantz deals with are things that I don't think Hollywood wants to touch.

Themaster20000 wrote:
Gantz to me,was a series with a great concept, that would've worked better with someone who was actually a good writer. Hiroya Oku was really sloppy with it, especially when it came to characters.

I disagree. Gantz was very strong up until the Osaka arc & within that were some solid and uncommon character arcs. Kurono in particular has a very interesting evolution throughout the manga, but given today's culture it would probably be viewed as a case of toxic masculinity.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE the original Shinsuke Sato live-action adaptation, and having read the manga the whole way through, confess to appreciating it a bit more than the original manga for lots of little reasons (my 2nd favorite Gantz iteration is the Gantz: G spin-off manga, which definitely treated its female characters with more respect--#3 is the Gantz: O movie). So I'm definitely curious and open to see Hollywood's Americanized take with the Gantz concept, maybe even see whether or not they'll work to reach the biblical levels of the manga's later arcs.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:10 pm Reply with quote
tboy1992 wrote:
TexZero wrote:
matt78 wrote:

I believe Legendary Entertainment has the live action rights to My Hero Academia while LionsGate has the live action rights to Naruto.

You're right. My brain goofed.
Legendary has MHA alongside Gundam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2