• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Announces PlayStation 5 Console's November Release Date, Price, PlayStation Plus Collecti

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
not sure who'd buy the digital only version, since if your willing to spend 400 bucks for a system an extra 100 cant be that much of a big deal.
I also like collecting physical versions of everything so im of course going for the one with the disc slot :p
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:37 pm Reply with quote
499 is a solid price- too bad the playstation plus games that come with the console are all games I already own... good games nother the less.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Not as expensive as I thought. Good.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I figured that the all-digital PS5 wouldn't be able to match the Xbox Series S's price point, and $400 is essentially what I thought it'd be. It'll be interesting to see how this "digital & physical" tier style will work out for the next generation, as the PS5 will have the "it's the same as the other version, only without a disc drive" appeal, while the Series S has the "sure, it's not as powerful as the other version... but it's also $200 cheaper!" appeal.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 pm Reply with quote
The Series S is only $100 cheaper, right? I'm assuming the only difference between the two PS5 versions are one has a BD drive and the other doesn't at least.
z3r0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I will wait 3-4yrs. before I purchase the console. I waited 3yrs. with the PS4 (I got the base white unit bundle w/Destiny on Black Friday), that way the console would've have plenty and sufficient titles I'd really want and the console would be on a promo deal.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I like the price.

The new $70 price point for games, though, I like *a lot* less.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll be buying the $499 version simply cause I use my PS4 as a DVD/Bluray player more than playing video games on it nowadays cause work takes up most of my time. I buy all my games digitally its simpler than going to the store or waiting for it in the mail unless its a Super Robot Wars or anime game import that has no chance of making it to the US.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Eh, seems prohibitively expensive to me, much like the PS3 used to be. If you're willing to spend that much money, you'd be better off buying a PC. Especially with all the big publishers trying to arbitrarily hike up the standard MSRP for games.

At least when they did the sa,e back when the PS3 launched, they could justify it by pointing to the increased production costs of BRDs and Hd-DVDs. Now they're saving a ton of money as the market shifts to digital content (zero production costs, zero distribution costs). Games are getting cheaper to make, so naturally, they want to make them more expensive to buy. SMH
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
not sure who'd buy the digital only version, since if your willing to spend 400 bucks for a system an extra 100 cant be that much of a big deal.
I also like collecting physical versions of everything so im of course going for the one with the disc slot :p

I would, and am planning to get the digital version only. I can't see the point of paying an extra 100 bucks for a disc drive when 90% of my games are digital. I have a handful of games on the PS3 and PS4 that are physical (both systems that work perfectly fine, and that I have owned since the systems released) and 90% of my games are digital because children break things.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:36 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
I like the price.

The new $70 price point for games, though, I like *a lot* less.

And what should we in europe say? It's going to be 80€ for us and 70$ should only be around 60€ not 80€!
I'm not even willing to pay over 60€ and luckily most of the good games these years don't cost more, only a few do. Now I'm suddenly supposed to get used to 80€?! Well not that I'm going to buy a PS5 in the first 2-3 years, but it seems like I can't even buy games in the first year or two anymore.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Eh, seems prohibitively expensive to me, much like the PS3 used to be. If you're willing to spend that much money, you'd be better off buying a PC. Especially with all the big publishers trying to arbitrarily hike up the standard MSRP for games.

At least when they did the sa,e back when the PS3 launched, they could justify it by pointing to the increased production costs of BRDs and Hd-DVDs. Now they're saving a ton of money as the market shifts to digital content (zero production costs, zero distribution costs). Games are getting cheaper to make, so naturally, they want to make them more expensive to buy. SMH

Using SSDs on their consoles is what's killing them both on price right now. This was a necessary evil that needed to happen though. Hopefully with this push SSDs, micro SDs, etc will get alot cheaper alot faster now and will finally push out the old HDDs.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The Series S is only $100 cheaper, right? I'm assuming the only difference between the two PS5 versions are one has a BD drive and the other doesn't at least.

Yeah, the digital PS5 is only missing the disc drive. All other hardware is the same. The Series S managed its cheaper price by having different hardware from the Series X.

Siegfriedl88 wrote:

I wonder the same thing, but the trend has been going towards digital, even though the customer gives up a lot in exchange for that. $100 isn't much in the way of saving either when you consider that it means either buying extra storage or constantly deleting and downloading games. Personally, I don't trust that the games will always be available to download since I was around for the PSN hack years ago. The Xbox Series S is pretty cheap, but has no disc drive and an SSD that is half the size of the Series X. Microsoft is going with proprietary external storage that seems like it will be convenient to use, but prices have started cropping up on stores at $200+ for 1 TB.

Right now, I don't even mind that pre-orders disappeared right away. The only launch game I was interested in was Devil May Cry 5 SE, and that is mostly just a game I already have. There are several PS4 games with plans to do upgrades, but it sounds like those will happen sometime later, so there isn't much point in playing those on PS5 until then.

$70 for games stinks. I could maybe see it if that higher price was all there was to it, but most publishers have no qualms with charging more and still doing DLC, season passes, and microtransactions. I seem to recall that doing things like shifting to digital and cutting out printed game manuals was supposed to save costs that could then translate into savings for the customer. Funny how it didn't work out that way when they figured out that people would pay full price anyway.

I'm guessing the eventual plan for that Playstation plus collection is that it would be a competitor to Game Pass. If it is, they'll need to beef it up fast because a few older games isn't much value compared to Game Pass, which is letting people play new games on release day in addition to old games.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:00 am Reply with quote
Ok, now that Sony finally let us know the dimensions of the PS5....... no wonder they've held on to that for so long - it's huge! Shocked

Confirmed: The PS5 is the biggest game console in modern history

Quote:
Quick, what’s the biggest console ever made? Did you say the original 2001 Xbox, or the VCR-sized original Xbox One? Perhaps the 60GB PS3, affectionately dubbed the “Phat”?

Wrong. The PS5 is bigger than all of them.

And boy oh boy is this box bigger than the new Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S:

Remember when we were worried whether the new Xbox would fit in our entertainment centers?

Oh, and there’s one little tidbit I forgot to mention, which makes this even better: Sony isn’t including the PS5’s “largest projection” or optional base in those measurements, according to its press release.

We all already knew the PS5 is taller than the XSX, but now we learn the PS5 is also so much deeper!
It's even deeper (+10.9 cm) than the XSX than it is taller (+8.9 cm)

XSX: 30.1 cm (H) x 15.1 cm (W) x 15.1 cm (D) = 6,863.1 cm^3

PS5: 39.0 cm (H) x 10.4 cm (W) x 26.0 cm (D) = 10,545.6 cm^3

The PS5 is 53.7% larger volume than the XSX - that's just over 1.5x the size of the XSX

If the XSX is the fridge, this is bigger than the fridge!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1