• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Soul Eater - The Perfect Edition GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
I found the new translation to be...interesting.

YP: Once I eat the soul of a witch, I'll be able to become death's weapon!!
Perfect Ed: Once I eat the soul of a witch, I'll get to be a death scythe too!!

And they refer to Shinigami-sama as Death. Which I guess isn't much of a difference, but noticeable.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Isnt that an improvement? being a Death Scythe was a category of weapons from soul eater. has a better ring to it then becoming one of deaths weapons. Thats what the anime went with.

Shinigami being a death god. Death being THE death god of their world. It follows that its translated as Death.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching the Soul Eater anime years ago and if the anime version was toned down from the manga, even with the anime version the fanservice humor all felt a bit too much at once at the time back then so I ended up dropping it. I’m glad to know I’m not alone in feeling that way about the early fanservice humor but now I know what the manga author can do with an amazing story like with Fire Force, I’m willing to go back and give Soul Eater another try as I liked the world of the series and I liked the characters especially Maka and Soul.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1