• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PlayStation 5 Standardizes 'X' as Confirm Button Across All Regions

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:45 am Reply with quote
it should be OPTIONAL. And honestly it's a terrible decision. Japan's way made more logical sense from the beginning.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:08 am Reply with quote
I remember Metal Gear Solid sticking out because Circle was confirm and X was cancel. I think other Konami games were that way, so that was how I became aware that different regions had different menu prompts. Of course, back then triangle was cancel for most games in the West.

I always wondered why the menu buttons were different, so that was an interesting tidbit from the article.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:11 am Reply with quote
I live in the USA

When my grade school teacher marks an X on an answer, that means the answer is incorrect.
When I mark X on a form, it means that I am selecting it.
When I O an answer on a form, it ALSO means I am selecting it.

The USA has never been consistent in it's use of X across different media. I personally prefer the method Japan uses.

Last edited by Gasero on Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
As someone who uses X to confirm I'm so glad this is a thing but if it were the opposite and O was confirm I feel like it'd take years for me to get into that habit. Or maybe I'm just to old to unlearn this particular habit.
That said having it be changable in the system seems like such a simple and easy solution.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
it should be OPTIONAL. And honestly it's a terrible decision. Japan's way made more logical sense from the beginning.

Well sure provided you started off playing the Japanese version of any Playstation game for everyone else who of course didn’t use the same buttons no it did not. As the circle button is on the right end of the controller whereas X is at the bottom depending on how you hold the controller the circle button is going to be the button furthest from your where your right thumb is going to be, whereas the X button is going to be the closest due to being on the bottom.

Edit: pitfalls of typing on an iPod keyboard.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the last nail in the coffin of PlayStation and Sony being fulling Americanized now.
hornet65

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
These truly are dark times we live in.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It all began with the rejection of Omega Labyrinth Z in 2018 then the censorship of JP games (while not censoring Western games which showed far worse) later that year. Now this. A shame to spit in the face of fans and the country you started from.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Well sure provided you started off playing the Japanese version of any Playstation game for everyone else who of course didn’t use the same buttons no it did not. As the circle button is on the left end of the controller whereas X is at the bottom depending on how you hold the controller the circle button is going to be the button furthest from your where your right thumb is going to be, whereas the X button is going to be the closest due to being on the bottom.

The circle button has always been on the right. At least know the controller before talking about it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
It makes sense to do this. After all, Japan has accounted for only ~8% of the total PS4s sold in the world, and they were the only major market that did not have 'X' standardized to confirm.
Slim Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I saw this coming when they announced they were moving PlayStation headquarters to Cali back in 2016. Almost as flakey as Kevin Durant switching to the Golden State Warriors after they beat his Oklahoma City Thunder team in the NBA finals
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:22 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:

The circle button has always been on the right. At least know the controller before talking about it.

I’ve actually owned 5 playstation 2s, 2 PlayStation 3s, and 1 PlayStation 4 so I know where the circle button is maybe you should learn that was a typo on my part before talking about something I already know about.

Rob19ny wrote:
It all began with the rejection of Omega Labyrinth Z in 2018 then the censorship of JP games (while not censoring Western games which showed far worse)

Showing beheadings (which ironically Japan is strict about in games) and dismemberments isn’t the same as showing sexual content featuring teenagers. And even then violence in video games has been a topic of debate for years that has caused games to be censored and edited around these parts.

The last notable and ironic case being the American version of MK vs DC all the way back in 2008.

Rob19ny wrote:
Now this. A shame to spit in the face of fans and the country you started from.

I don’t think the Japanese care all that much with all the gaming they do on mobile devices and PC’s compared to traditional consoles which historically have done better numbers in the North American and European markets
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:31 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Rob19ny wrote:
Now this. A shame to spit in the face of fans and the country you started from.

I don’t think the Japanese care all that much with all the gaming they do on mobile devices and PC’s compared to traditional consoles which historically have done better numbers in the North American and European markets

Is... that really the case? Obviously mobile has become huge despite the late take-off of smartphones surpassing older keitai, but I got the impression consoles were still far above gaming PC's over there -- at least for the Playstation. And I guess that depends on whether you think of the DS as a the mobile or the handheld market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1