• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Inuyasha Spinoff Anime Yashahime's Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
They really couldn't have gotten Ocean to dub this? I'm sure the corporate bootlickers will race to their defense, but there is none. This is just plain old cheapness winning out again.

I wouldn't expect Richard Ian Cox, Kirby Morrow, Kelly Sheridan, etc. to return. This looks like a typical nonunion LA anime dub from Viz.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, congrats to the new main three voicing our three main ladies of Yashahime! I've been enjoying the series so far and I am glad to see that the English dub is getting done sooner or later.

Although the big question old school fans who grew up with the original series is whether or not they will try and bring back the original voice actor cast from Ocean Group to come back to reprise their roles because after all, the OG cast is pretty prominent in the first episode of Yashahime and they will for certain be returning at some point in future episodes as their disappearances do play a role in the mystery surrounding this series after all.

But realistically, since the tweets say that it is going to have a brand new English cast, I am not having any high expectations and accept the possible reality that the original cast is most likely going to be recast and that's a shame.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
They really couldn't have gotten Ocean to dub this? I'm sure the corporate bootlickers will race to their defense, but there is none. This is just plain old cheapness winning out again.

I wouldn't expect Richard Ian Cox, Kirby Morrow, Kelly Sheridan, etc. to return. This looks like a typical nonunion LA anime dub from Viz.

There still a chance that the old cast might reprise their characters. Anyway, I sure that Erica, Kira, and Morgan will do a good job.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

That's funny, because cheapness is why dubs were farmed out to Ocean to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
RIP Old cast I guess. Was really hoping they'd farm it out to Ocean but I should've figured given outside of Bushiroad (and even the continuation of the VG dub is up in the air at the moment) anime really isn't dubbed in Canada anymore. Even Beyblade got US'd and that had been dubbed in Canada since its very inception.

Lycosyncer wrote:

Although the big question old school fans who grew up with the original series is whether or not they will try and bring back the original voice actor cast from Ocean Group to come back to reprise their roles because after all, the OG cast is pretty prominent in the first episode of Yashahime and they will for certain be returning at some point in future episodes as their disappearances do play a role in the mystery surrounding this series after all.

cyberdraco wrote:

There still a chance that the old cast might reprise their characters. Anyway, I sure that Erica, Kira, and Morgan will do a good job.

Unlikely. There's never been anything that combined ACTRA with a non-union US cast. At least, as far as I'm aware of.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Confused... why is Funimation announcing a dub cast and not Viz? I know it's being streamed on Funimation as well, but I thought Viz had the rights to the series? o.o?
merr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:28 pm Reply with quote
This is amusing considering all the Inu Yasha stuff Kira Buckland did before she went pro.

GNPixie wrote:

cyberdraco wrote:

Unlikely. There's never been anything that combined ACTRA with a non-union US cast. At least, as far as I'm aware of.

Nurse Witch Komugi?
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:32 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:

Nurse Witch Komugi?

Wasn't that an OVA and not a full series run? Same thing with Roberta's Blood Trail. That's the big sticking point here I think. Would it be worth it to farm it out vs just recast?
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
That's funny, because cheapness is why dubs were farmed out to Ocean to begin with.

That's true but somewhat debatable, given Ocean's Vancouver dubs are unionized. Even in the '90s, there were cheaper options. You're a Dragon Ball fan. You know why Brian Drummond and Scott McNeil aren't the voice of Vegeta and Piccolo anymore.

merr wrote:
Nurse Witch Komugi?

That's basically the only time that's happened. I'm not sure a short OVA from 16 years ago holds much relevance. Everything else has been one-off cameos.

sakurablossom143 wrote:
Confused... why is Funimation announcing a dub cast and not Viz? I know it's being streamed on Funimation as well, but I thought Viz had the rights to the series? o.o?

Viz announced it, too. Funimation shared the news because they're streaming it.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:46 pm Reply with quote
If there's no Ocean VA's I'm out.
bravesirz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
If there's no Ocean VA's I'm out.

You could always rebel by watching the series in it’s native language instead.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
There's still a chance they'll get some of the Canadian VAs. Although Sesshomaru's VA lives in Los Angeles now so there's a chance they can at least get him back. I heard Kagome's original VA retired so not sure who they'll cast for her.
Funi has used Canadian VAs before. Brian Drummond voiced clone Vegeta in Dragonball Super. And for the anime series Arte they got a Canadian voice actor voicing Leo.

Last edited by trunkschan90 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
merr wrote:
Nurse Witch Komugi?

That's basically the only time that's happened. I'm not sure a short OVA from 16 years ago holds much relevance. Everything else has been one-off cameos.

It definitely doesn't seeing as Sentai left the recent series, Nurse Witch Komugi R, subtitled only on disc and both Komugi and SoulTaker never got rescues here even under Sentai's Tatsunoko deal.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
There's still a chance they'll get some of the Canadian VAs. Although Sesshomaru's VA lives in Los Angeles now so there's a chance they can at least get him back. I heard Kagome's original VA retired so not sure who they'll cast for her.
Funi has used Canadian VAs before. Brian Drummond voiced clone Vegeta in Dragonball Super. And for the anime series Arte they got a Canadian voice actor voicing Leo.

David Kaye has expressed interest in returning as Sesshomaru, however, this dub isn't in the SAG database. That suggests it's nonunion. Since moving to LA, he's not been in a single anime dub. He's focused on narration, prelay animation and game work. It would be surprising if he'd return for a nonunion project. Assuming this won't be some unprecedented LA-Vancouver anime dub co-pro, I'd say the least unlikely reprisal would be Jillian Michaels as kid Shippo.

Funimation isn't producing this dub, though the examples you gave aren't comparable to what this would require anyway. Brian Drummond took less than a day to record that Super cameo in Vancouver. That's a one-off thing. Sound Cadence is handling Arte. That actor (Gianni Matragrano) was actually born in the United States and only moved to Canada in 2018. He's worked with the casting director in the past and based on his work history, it doesn't look like he's a member of the Canadian acting union. That's no different than the NYC based actors that dub also has in its cast.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
merr wrote:

Nurse Witch Komugi?

Wasn't that an OVA and not a full series run? Same thing with Roberta's Blood Trail. That's the big sticking point here I think. Would it be worth it to farm it out vs just recast?
If there is more of Black Lagoon, that puts the odds of it having the same cast low or high then based on whether it is an OVA of TV season?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4