• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TorrentFreak: MPA Lawyers Send Letters to Alleged Nyaa Site Personnel to Shut Site Down

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Nyaa has no immediate plans to shut down and have promised to dump the sitecode base publicly in the event of a shutdown, as per their twitter account;
https://twitter.com/NyaaV2/status/1324168129522511872
Quote:
To briefly address this, we have no plans to shutdown or quit at this time. If we do choose to shutdown eventually we will make a public database dump for any successor entity to use, we will not be just disappearing like our predecessor site leaving everyone else on their own.

When they had to migrate from the old site to the current one that was something they didn't have (aside from few previous scrapes) so whoever picks up the mantle will have a lot easier time this time around. And even without that, there are several other sites that are in a position to take over, at least temporarily.

Edit; Didn't notice the tweet was already referenced in the article.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
If only corporations made media more easily accessible instead of having dozens of streaming sites you have to subscribe to and keeping major franchises popular overseas unlicensed for decades. Like obviously things are better than they were back in the 90s or whatever but you still have a lot of shows popular internationally that are unlicensed like Macross or older Precure show that it's still more complicated to watch though at least Precure is finally starting to make some progress in the West after decades of fans begging Toei for scraps.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If only corporations made media more easily accessible instead of having dozens of streaming sites you have to subscribe to and keeping major franchises popular overseas unlicensed for decades. Like obviously things are better than they were back in the 90s or whatever but you still have a lot of shows popular internationally that are unlicensed like Macross or older Precure show that it's still more complicated to watch though at least Precure is finally starting to make some progress in the West after decades of fans begging Toei for scraps.

And that's for you in the US. You have no idea how great you have it... In other countries legal acccess to anime is even worse. A lot of streaming services are not even available where I live, for others their domestic library is only a fraction of what is available in the US. Sometimes you can't watch a show that is available on the same damn service in the neighboring country... in the same EU. So at this point you're paying for subscriptions to services AND a VPN service to actually be able to access the content you're paying for... as long as the service won't kick you out for using a VPN. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Really, it's again an example of "I'm trying to pay for this content and you're not giving it to me, so why should I care?"
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, they changed their name from "MPAA"? Looks like it was last year -- were they trying to dodge a toxic brand?
Badej

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

And that's for you in the US. You have no idea how great you have it... In other countries legal acccess to anime is even worse. A lot of streaming services are not even available where I live, for others their domestic library is only a fraction of what is available in the US. Sometimes you can't watch a show that is available on the same damn service in the neighboring country... in the same EU. So at this point you're paying for subscriptions to services AND a VPN service to actually be able to access the content you're paying for... as long as the service won't kick you out for using a VPN. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Really, it's again an example of "I'm trying to pay for this content and you're not giving it to me, so why should I care?"

So much this. Funimation's geoblocking is even more obnoxious as I can't even access their bloody website. Why. would. you. geoblock. a. website. in. 2020.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
i use this site to watch shows that aren't available in my country (game center cx, kamen rider and some anime)

it's a shame that people can't follow the rules a site has put in place and now people like me won't be able to watch game center cx anymore!

thanks.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
all the AMV editors: Shocked Shocked Shocked
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I only used Nyaa and torrents twice and that was for the Lelouch of the Resurrection movie subbed cam rip and the chinese subbed HD quality for use of giffing purposes only.

I do download a lot of RAW anime to make gifs since I do not know how to copy and convert media files from my DVD to my computer so as a editor I hope they never fully take down pirated media lol cause there is barely any legal way to download legal streams or anime I think the only place that does that is Funimation (I'm not sure).
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Nyaa doesn't actually store copyrighted files, which was a loophole a lot of torrent sites have been using for decades now. This should be interesting
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh, a lot of people are going to be happy about this. It's a great site if you are wanting to make gifs of 90s and early 00s anime.

SHD wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

According to some people's logic "anime is a luxury." Besides, it also depends on which VPN to use and if your money will be able to afford the monthly North America subscription.
MarineCorps

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Badej wrote:

So much this. Funimation's geoblocking is even more obnoxious as I can't even access their bloody website. Why. would. you. geoblock. a. website. in. 2020.

Because funimation only owns the rights to air anime in certain countries.

Rights are a triple edge sword. You can't sell the global rights to multiple companies, but then a company with the global rights that has no plans to sell in country X, but by having the rights prevents anyone from Country X from obtaining those rights, but also companies in Country X might not see it profitable to acquire the rights to a large % of anime
Rouward

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:19 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:

AMV has been long dead when Youtube enforced a stricter content id.

This is likely a response to JP govt's Anti-Piracy law which will take effect on 2021. Good for those with money and easy content access to spam massive spoilers in front of everyone. Bad for non-US/JP fans and/or low salary who have no legal way to support Manga/Anime.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
MarineCorps wrote:
Badej wrote:

Because funimation only owns the rights to air anime in certain countries.

That's why the actual streams for Funimation anime are geo-blocked, yes. So why geo-block the entire website so that it's impossible to browse (unless you use a VPN) outside the U.S. and Canada?
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:32 pm Reply with quote
So they are OK with region locking/geoblocking and licensing issues? Why don't they complaining of Funimation, which it's own website is region locked outside U.S. and five countries.
Rouward wrote:
#Synaesthesia wrote:

AMV has been long dead when Youtube enforced a stricter content id.

This is likely a response to JP govt's Anti-Piracy law which will take effect on 2021. Good for those with money and easy content access to spam massive spoilers in front of everyone. Bad for non-US/JP fans and/or low salary who have no legal way to support Manga/Anime.

So JP government are OK with geoblocking and licensing issues, right? If all illegal anime and mangas websites shutdown -- it will be more inaccessible and it's so backwards.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rouward

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:37 pm Reply with quote
We'll see how that goes when the law takes fully effect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4