• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toei Animation Refuses Labor Negotiations With LGBT Union Member

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
so? like I get it and I personally agree that no one should be discriminated against based off gender, race , creed or relgion (or any other reason)

however, in Japan, and especially China, this is not the case. There are no laws protecting people in the lgbtq community (or at least not many) and trying to impose our way of thinking and living on a country IS DISCRIMINATION.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
however, in Japan, and especially China, this is not the case. There are no laws protecting people in the lgbtq community (or at least not many) and trying to impose our way of thinking and living on a country IS DISCRIMINATION.

All the person wanted was to be treated with respect. Where do you see people trying to impose their way of thinking on a country? This article is explicitly calling out not just Toei's hypocrisy and oppressive business practices, but the issue of LGBT discrimination as a whole. Just because other countries don't have laws protecting anyone on the LGBT spectrum, it doesn't mean discrimination based on it should be allowed.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
so? like I get it and I personally agree that no one should be discriminated against based off gender, race , creed or relgion (or any other reason)

Basic human rights are not just "our way of thinking", my dude.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

Hinotoumei wrote:
however, in Japan, and especially China, this is not the case.
This has nothing to do with China. Equating China and Japan in this case is kinda racist; they are very different cultures.

Quote:
There are no laws protecting people in the lgbtq community (or at least not many) and trying to impose our way of thinking and living on a country IS DISCRIMINATION.

1 - No one in the west is imposing their "way of thinking" on Japan in regards to this case. This is a case between a Japanese citizen, a Japanese Labor Union, and a Japanese corporation. ANN is merely reporting on the facts of the matter. I don't know where you get "imposing our way of thinking," from.

2 - While there is no "imposition of our way of thinking," in this case, I vehemently disagree with you regarding this subject. Pressuring other countries to respect human rights is the responsibility of all people who enjoy those human rights. Neither culture, nor religion are valid excuses for repressive behavior. Japan has relatively good freedom of speech, so these issues can, and should be lead by Japanese people, and they are. There are plenty of Japanese people campaigning for reforms to repressive policies. Foreigners can support them in a number of ways without "taking the lead."

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

Hinotoumei wrote:

...so trying to extend fundamental human rights to people in countries that remain utterly ass-backwards about said issues is now "discrimination"? Give me a goddamn break.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:

No, that's not what discrimination means; (Cambridge dictionary)
Quote:
treating a person or particular group of people differently, especially in a worse way from the way in which you treat other people, because of their skin colour, sex, sexuality, etc.:

^ no imposing or enforcing included.

And no-one foreign is imposing anything here, this is a dispute between an employer and union.

Edit; Ninja'd by the posts above...
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
So people are calling Toei Animation discriminatory against trans, because they won't accept this persons John Hancock for legal documents?
Can they not change their names on court documents in Japan, so an alias is their legal binding name?
Eddy564

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote
#867382 wrote:
Good Job!!! Toei animation, I so tired of these people forcing there way on think on to us.

You’re obviously a troll, but I’ll humor you. Respecting someone’s identity and their livelihood isn’t some form of propaganda. To disagree with someone’s lifestyle, especially when it has no effect on your life, is not only weird, but incredibly foolish.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:31 pm Reply with quote
3 Posts within 65 seconds...

Quote:
This article is explicitly calling out not just Toei's hypocrisy and oppressive business practices, but the issue of LGBT discrimination as a whole.

This is not quite true. Explicitly, the only thing the article does is report on the events, and quote those involved, as they were reported in Japanese .

"A-san" and "B-San," gave statements that effectively accuse Toei of hypocrisy and we reported on those statements. If you follow @frog_kun on Twitter, her position on this issue is pretty obvious, but her job is to try to the best of her ability to keep that out her reporting.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kirki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Can't people in Japan change their names officially? No ID cards? If the union says they'll send one person and then a person with a different name appears with no documentation, it would seem like they sent someone else on purpose.

But if the union confirms the identity of this person I still do not see where the problem is. Japan can be weird and this feels much like an excuse to avoid duscussion of the matter at hand.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Toei is run by bullies and cheapskates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
Can't people in Japan change their names officially?

Name changes are possible in Japan and not especially challenging. I don't know if there are any hurdles in changing one's name to a name associated with a different gender.

Changing one's legal gender status in Japan is quite hard.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
... LIVES IN A COUNTRY THAT GIVES [them] NO RIGHTS AS A LGBTQ PERSON.

This whole post is incredibly ignorant. LGBTQ Japanese people do have rights. They have the same rights as any other Japanese individual. This person is claiming that rights they have under the Japanese constitution and existing Tokyo law have been infringed upon. You really shouldn't be making statements about Japanese law if you know so little about it.

The Japanese constitution forbids all forms of discrimination, and while this is widely accepted to include discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, there are no national laws explicitly addressing discrimination on these grounds. However this happened in Tokyo and Tokyo passed a law in 2018 explicitly making discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity illegal.

So, when you say they have no rights as an LGBTQ person in Japan, you are wrong.

Quote:
WE SHOULD STAY OUT OF IT.
"We" (who is "we" ?) aren't interfering. No one outside of Japan is involved in this case in any way. No one is pressuring the Japanese courts, Toei, the government. Nothing. It's been reported in the Japanese news, that news has been translated into English, and we are discussing in English what is happening in Japan. We're discussing it; discussion is not interference. Are you trying to say that people have no right to discuss or have opinions about what is going on in other countries?

If that's what you are trying to say, frankly, you are wrong.

[Misgendering fixed; thanks whiskeyii]

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:20 pm; edited 4 times in total
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

So, when you say that he has no rights as an LGBTQ person in Japan, you are wrong.

While I agree on all points, it should be "they" rather than "he", yes?
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising.
Japan is not exactly a union friendly country given the horrible workplace environment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4