Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toei Animation Refuses Labor Negotiations With LGBT Union Member


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hinotoumei



Joined: 12 Jun 2016
Posts: 86
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
so? like I get it and I personally agree that no one should be discriminated against based off gender, race , creed or relgion (or any other reason)

however, in Japan, and especially China, this is not the case. There are no laws protecting people in the lgbtq community (or at least not many) and trying to impose our way of thinking and living on a country IS DISCRIMINATION.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FireChick



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 1852
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
however, in Japan, and especially China, this is not the case. There are no laws protecting people in the lgbtq community (or at least not many) and trying to impose our way of thinking and living on a country IS DISCRIMINATION.


All the person wanted was to be treated with respect. Where do you see people trying to impose their way of thinking on a country? This article is explicitly calling out not just Toei's hypocrisy and oppressive business practices, but the issue of LGBT discrimination as a whole. Just because other countries don't have laws protecting anyone on the LGBT spectrum, it doesn't mean discrimination based on it should be allowed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 28 Oct 2018
Posts: 155
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
so? like I get it and I personally agree that no one should be discriminated against based off gender, race , creed or relgion (or any other reason)

however, in Japan, and especially China, this is not the case. There are no laws protecting people in the lgbtq community (or at least not many) and trying to impose our way of thinking and living on a country IS DISCRIMINATION.


Basic human rights are not just "our way of thinking", my dude.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 9962
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
however, in Japan, and especially China, this is not the case.
This has nothing to do with China. Equating China and Japan in this case is kinda racist; they are very different cultures.

Quote:
There are no laws protecting people in the lgbtq community (or at least not many) and trying to impose our way of thinking and living on a country IS DISCRIMINATION.


1 - No one in the west is imposing their "way of thinking" on Japan in regards to this case. This is a case between a Japanese citizen, a Japanese Labor Union, and a Japanese corporation. ANN is merely reporting on the facts of the matter. I don't know where you get "imposing our way of thinking," from.

2 - While there is no "imposition of our way of thinking," in this case, I vehemently disagree with you regarding this subject. Pressuring other countries to respect human rights is the responsibility of all people who enjoy those human rights. Neither culture, nor religion are valid excuses for repressive behavior. Japan has relatively good freedom of speech, so these issues can, and should be lead by Japanese people, and they are. There are plenty of Japanese people campaigning for reforms to repressive policies. Foreigners can support them in a number of ways without "taking the lead."


Last edited by Tempest on Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 3754
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
so? like I get it and I personally agree that no one should be discriminated against based off gender, race , creed or relgion (or any other reason)

however, in Japan, and especially China, this is not the case. There are no laws protecting people in the lgbtq community (or at least not many) and trying to impose our way of thinking and living on a country IS DISCRIMINATION.

...so trying to extend fundamental human rights to people in countries that remain utterly ass-backwards about said issues is now "discrimination"? Give me a goddamn break.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blanchimont



Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 2445
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
so? like I get it and I personally agree that no one should be discriminated against based off gender, race , creed or relgion (or any other reason)

however, in Japan, and especially China, this is not the case. There are no laws protecting people in the lgbtq community (or at least not many) and trying to impose our way of thinking and living on a country IS DISCRIMINATION.

No, that's not what discrimination means; (Cambridge dictionary)
Quote:
treating a person or particular group of people differently, especially in a worse way from the way in which you treat other people, because of their skin colour, sex, sexuality, etc.:

^ no imposing or enforcing included.

And no-one foreign is imposing anything here, this is a dispute between an employer and union.

Edit; Ninja'd by the posts above...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MisterLuck



Joined: 19 Apr 2014
Posts: 67
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
So people are calling Toei Animation discriminatory against trans, because they won't accept this persons John Hancock for legal documents?
Can they not change their names on court documents in Japan, so an alias is their legal binding name?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eddy564



Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 338
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote
#867382 wrote:
Good Job!!! Toei animation, I so tired of these people forcing there way on think on to us.


You’re obviously a troll, but I’ll humor you. Respecting someone’s identity and their livelihood isn’t some form of propaganda. To disagree with someone’s lifestyle, especially when it has no effect on your life, is not only weird, but incredibly foolish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 9962
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:31 pm Reply with quote
3 Posts within 65 seconds...

Quote:
This article is explicitly calling out not just Toei's hypocrisy and oppressive business practices, but the issue of LGBT discrimination as a whole.


This is not quite true. Explicitly, the only thing the article does is report on the events, and quote those involved, as they were reported in Japanese .

"A-san" and "B-San," gave statements that effectively accuse Toei of hypocrisy and we reported on those statements. If you follow @frog_kun on Twitter, her position on this issue is pretty obvious, but her job is to try to the best of her ability to keep that out her reporting.

-t


Last edited by Tempest on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Kirki



Joined: 11 Jun 2019
Posts: 115
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Can't people in Japan change their names officially? No ID cards? If the union says they'll send one person and then a person with a different name appears with no documentation, it would seem like they sent someone else on purpose.

But if the union confirms the identity of this person I still do not see where the problem is. Japan can be weird and this feels much like an excuse to avoid duscussion of the matter at hand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8075
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Toei is run by bullies and cheapskates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 9962
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
Can't people in Japan change their names officially?


Name changes are possible in Japan and not especially challenging. I don't know if there are any hurdles in changing one's name to a name associated with a different gender.

Changing one's legal gender status in Japan is quite hard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 9962
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
... LIVES IN A COUNTRY THAT GIVES [them] NO RIGHTS AS A LGBTQ PERSON.


This whole post is incredibly ignorant. LGBTQ Japanese people do have rights. They have the same rights as any other Japanese individual. This person is claiming that rights they have under the Japanese constitution and existing Tokyo law have been infringed upon. You really shouldn't be making statements about Japanese law if you know so little about it.

The Japanese constitution forbids all forms of discrimination, and while this is widely accepted to include discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, there are no national laws explicitly addressing discrimination on these grounds. However this happened in Tokyo and Tokyo passed a law in 2018 explicitly making discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity illegal.

So, when you say they have no rights as an LGBTQ person in Japan, you are wrong.

Quote:
WE SHOULD STAY OUT OF IT.
"We" (who is "we" ?) aren't interfering. No one outside of Japan is involved in this case in any way. No one is pressuring the Japanese courts, Toei, the government. Nothing. It's been reported in the Japanese news, that news has been translated into English, and we are discussing in English what is happening in Japan. We're discussing it; discussion is not interference. Are you trying to say that people have no right to discuss or have opinions about what is going on in other countries?

If that's what you are trying to say, frankly, you are wrong.

[Misgendering fixed; thanks whiskeyii]


Last edited by Tempest on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:20 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1944
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

So, when you say that he has no rights as an LGBTQ person in Japan, you are wrong.


While I agree on all points, it should be "they" rather than "he", yes?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heishi



Joined: 06 Mar 2016
Posts: 1172
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising.
Japan is not exactly a union friendly country given the horrible workplace environment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group