• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Happy Sugar Life GN 4 - 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I love Happy sugar life because it's so damn tragic.

All of these kids should have had a chance to be... kids but they're all so twisted because of the circumstances and environment they were born in.

I really want them to find an actual positive influence on their lives and not have it ripped away from them to deepen their wounds.

I've only watched the anime and it's been a long time at that but did Sato's aunt physically abuse Sato? From what I remember Sato was exposed to sex at an early age and learned about it from her aunt, which warped her understanding of it. I can definitely imagine Sato's aunt coercing her to participate but she doesn't seem like the type of person that would 'force' her to do it, physically I mean.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
I love Happy sugar life because it's so damn tragic.

All of these kids should have had a chance to be... kids but they're all so twisted because of the circumstances and environment they were born in.

I really want them to find an actual positive influence on their lives and not have it ripped away from them to deepen their wounds.

I've only watched the anime and it's been a long time at that but did Sato's aunt physically abuse Sato? From what I remember Sato was exposed to sex at an early age and learned about it from her aunt, which warped her understanding of it. I can definitely imagine Sato's aunt coercing her to participate but she doesn't seem like the type of person that would 'force' her to do it, physically I mean.

I don't think it's ever implied in either anime or manga that Satou's aunt did anything to her. Even though her aunt is a *mess* of a person, she seems to genuinely love Satou spoiler[ as the last episode or so showed, seeing as how she was willing to help her and Shio run away and everything. ] She just has a bucket of her own issues and can't actually relate to others like a normal person.

This anime/manga breaks my heart and I truly love it even if it's a little heavy-handed at times with how heavy everything is for all the kids.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:30 am Reply with quote
I really regret they hadn't manage to put the mother's backstory in anime, it would explain her character (and Asahi's ) far better and put in view that rarely mentioned horrible custom that's still common in some places of resolving the rape cases.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sato's aunt did sexually abuse her

I don't remember seeing this in the anime, I have been reading the manga too, but not caught up on that.

Yeah, her Aunt discussed her views on what love is, but I don't remember her actually abusing her niece. Is this something in the Light Novel, or later on in the manga?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Yeah, her Aunt discussed her views on what love is, but I don't remember her actually abusing her niece. Is this something in the Light Novel, or later on in the manga?

This doesn't have a light novel, this is an original manga.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Sato's aunt didn't sexually abuse her in the sense that she touched her inappropriately - I was using the term in the sense that she exposed her to sexual activity before she was emotionally able to understand and it had an effect on her development. I probably should have phrased it better in the review. I see it as being all wrapped up in her idea of Shio as a "pure" being, as far removed from her aunt as possible, and that part of Sato's love for Shio is that she feels purified or cleansed by Shio's perceived purity.

I really meant to reply to this thread earlier; sorry about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1