• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Film Passes Spirited Away as #1 All-Time Japanese Film Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScorpionCocktail

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:06 am Reply with quote
Dawn of a new era, changing of the old guard.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:56 am Reply with quote
The fact that it reached this feat without an US release makes this an even bigger deal!
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:02 am Reply with quote
During the time of a world pandemic and against all odds...it should have had the disadvantage but nop.

Congratulations Studio Ufortable and the Author, you have done such a amazing feat.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I thought your name was the highest-grossing Japanese film, anyway that's excellent news for ufotable, it'll take some time for any production to surpass it
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Tanjiro is kind and Benevolent to almost all his enemies, and the movie is basically the King of the Asian box office.

Does that Make Tanjiro a Nioh?
otastorian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
That's beyond impressive, and since KnY is pretty popular here in the states, that number is only going to get bigger once it hits US theaters. But I still don't really understand how this series blew up like this in the first place?
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Congrats. That's about it. There's nothing exciting about a movie thats about the next story arc in a series getting the all time #1 spot. So many one off movies were made with creativity and passion and that all got destroyed by a movie thats copy and pasting scenes from its source material. I can watch Princess Monomoke a thousands times because it feels special. Its a one time experience because the story begins and ends there. The same can't be said for this. I'd have to rewatch a whole 2 cour season just to watch this movie and thats if I cared enough to do that.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna report about the week long theatrical release in Miami, Florida, only? Really disappointed Sony/Aniplex hasn't given this a nationwide release yet. https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/02/23/jnn-demon-slayer-mugen-train-gets-oscar-qualifying-run-in-miami-from-february-26-for-1-week
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Not gonna report about the week long theatrical release in Miami, Florida, only? Really disappointed Sony/Aniplex hasn't given this a nationwide release yet. https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/02/23/jnn-demon-slayer-mugen-train-gets-oscar-qualifying-run-in-miami-from-february-26-for-1-week

It doesn't make much business sense to release a niche (in the US) movie in theaters nationwide right now when the pandemic is as bad as it is here.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:01 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
Congrats. That's about it. There's nothing exciting about a movie thats about the next story arc in a series getting the all time #1 spot. So many one off movies were made with creativity and passion and that all got destroyed by a movie thats copy and pasting scenes from its source material. I can watch Princess Monomoke a thousands times because it feels special. Its a one time experience because the story begins and ends there. The same can't be said for this. I'd have to rewatch a whole 2 cour season just to watch this movie and thats if I cared enough to do that.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:47 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Rob19ny wrote:

Yeah, I don't know why it matters what the movie is about - I cant imagine if it's a simple story arc movie, nothing special, that it would do this well. I have yet to see it obviously, but my guess is it is something that will feel special. And I'm very excited to see it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Rob19ny wrote:

And he can express it without your little rude and snarky comment.

That applies to the rest of you as well. People can in fact not enjoy something that you like. They can express those opinions as long as they explain why, and don't insult fans of it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:59 am Reply with quote
Helped that there's fewer competition than normal times
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1