• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Dear Brother, Sgt. Frog, Kashimashi, Nyanbo!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Sgt. Frog? And all 358 episodes? Didn't see that coming!
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Finding the original master for Project Ako is quite a surprise Shocked
Supermutant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:28 pm Reply with quote
:Drops to knees weeping at sgt. frog news: Thank you discotek!!!!
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to owning Arion because it has only been released via fan subbed for decades.
taishou*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Dear Brother still having weird stuff with its licensing, I see. Regardless, I'm happy it at least is getting picked up for a time.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, It's good that they are telling us that the window to obtaining Dear Brother is a short one. Saves the need for any real indecision on getting it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The company's release of Project A-Ko will no longer be a restored upscale, as the company has been able to procure an original 35mm film with the assistance of AnimEigo's Robert Woodhead.

The best part about this is that Robert wasn't even actively looking for A-Ko's master. He just happened to notice a clerical error that prevented people from checking a specific location, likely while he was on the hunt for MADOX-01's master for his own upcoming Kickstarter campaign, which itself was only lost because the sole paper that revealed its location was an old fax that was nearly torn to shreds.

Some once-thought-lost materials are found in salt mines, others in private collections, and some are just tossed into random cabinets that no one bothers to check, because of stupid pieces of paper.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:03 am Reply with quote
So I guess there big announcements were Dear Brother and Sgt. Frog? Great to see for those who are interested. Pretty impressive that they picked up such a huge series. (Especially when they have shorter unfinished series... >_>) I wonder if the license was all or nothing considering so many long series (like Yawara for example) have only had partial releases. Hopefully they will be able to put the whole thing out for Sgt. Frog fans.

Great news about Project A-ko. I'll definitely have to upgrade from my old DVD copy if they're sourcing the original film print.

I remember Kekkaishi being fun, so I might pick that up down the line

Good news about Grimm too =)
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:36 am Reply with quote
Good new on the Project A-Ko and Grimm front. Nice that they are still searching for those dub masters but I'm not having much hope for Mon Colle Knights at the this point but still nice to know. And holy shit Sgt Frog and all the episodes!?! How many SD BDs will that be? I'm gonna say 6 or 7 judging by my Fist of the North Star 3 disc set. But weren't the last few episodes (seasons?) in HD?
kyokun47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:42 am Reply with quote
Small grammar nitpick: for Kashimashi, it should read as "The anime will be a new upscale, and will have a revised subtitle track that will be "more careful" with regards to gender and pronouns."
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:50 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Kekkaishi back in the day and was sad Viz let the license to that one go both for the anime and manga. I'm glad to see the anime is coming back but too bad the manga is long OOP. I'm also excited to see Sgt. Frog finally got licensed and I'm surprised they got so many episodes at once and looking forward to Dear Brother.
ShadowZim777

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:06 am Reply with quote
Never been so happy to see Keroro Gunso getting a complete Blu-Ray release. I loved reading the Tokyopop Manga releases and watching the English Dub of Sgt Frog. Getting my chance to finally watch the rest of the Japanese episodes is so great. Hope they release the movies In the future!
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:10 am Reply with quote
Project A-ko will be quite the upgrade for me as I have CPM's DVD set.
That youtube clip of A-ko remastered had me floored. Reminded me of Kimagure Orange Road's Blu-ray.
Nice to see more of Osamu Dezaki's titles out on blu-ray.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:19 am Reply with quote
A little sad as this is the definite nail in the coffin for the Sgt Frog dub ever continuing, but who am I kidding at this point? It would've needed One Piece level popularity to for all those episodes to be dubbed and it's been over a decade at this point. Happy to have all the episodes available at all is a treat.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
after ADV Films had licensed but not released the anime.

Wow, I never realized this. As hard as ADV pushed Sgt. Frog through its Newtype USA magazine, I assumed they had released something at some point. Man, late 2000s were weird.
Quote:
Discotek's release of Magical Girl Ore will be subtitle-only, and will ship on May 25.

Nobody ever figured out a better way to handle the title, huh? I remember at the time that some places were going with Magical Girl Boy, which captures the logical contradiction of the title, but not the roughness of ore. Maybe Magical Girl Bro would have worked?
Quote:
Discotek will release Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ with English subtitles and the English dub by Media Blasters on May 25.

I was just thinking about this show the other day, and the wider practice of Media Blasters titles from 10+ years ago falling into obscurity because they didn’t tend to renew licenses and keep things in print, nor secure digital/streaming licenses, which did them no good in the pre-Crunchyroll era. The existing DVDs of Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ are notoriously difficult to find, particularly the “Vocal Collection” which includes the dub. So, it’ll be nice to have back. Who knows, maybe Otoboku: Maidens Are Falling for Me will be next?

So, summarizing everything talked about last night, my list is:

• Definitely Preordering -- Arion, Project A-Ko
  • Probably Preordering -- Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~
  • Possibly Preordering -- Dear Brother, Lady Oscar: The Rose of Versailles (double dip)
  • At Least Thinking About Preordering -- Lupin the 3rd: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (double dip)

Damn, I'm going to go to town the next time Right Stuf has a Discotek sale.

Last edited by invalidname on Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3