• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Life Lessons with Uramichi-Oniisan Omnibus 1 & 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I looove the first volumes of this manga, I think they're brilliant, hilarious and spot-on re: adult life. But also, it's exactly the sort of thing that should be done and over with in a couple of volumes or so, because there's only so far you can go with the premise, and only so many characters to add, before it runs out of material and ends up treading water, which is exactly what happened IMO. (I'm still going to watch the anime though, I have high expectations for it.)

I really wish Kuze Gaku focused on Torimania... that manga is also brilliant and painfully relatable in so many ways, both comedic or bittersweet. But unlike Uramichi-oniisan at this point, it still has a lot longer to go, and it deserves more attention and love from readers, and its own creator as well.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I checked out the first volume and a half of this one, as I was considering reviewing it myself at one point. I can fully agree with Rebecca's take on that much of the content.

The one other thing that I would add is that this felt specifically targeted at disaffected late-twentysomethings and thirtysomethings. Indeed, this would have spoken to me more deeply when I was "between jobs" about a decade ago. Now, I find the attitude and humor to be more than a bit cynical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The one other thing that I would add is that this felt specifically targeted at disaffected late-twentysomethings and thirtysomethings. Indeed, this would have spoken to me more deeply when I was "between jobs" about a decade ago. Now, I find the attitude and humor to be more than a bit cynical.

I think that's the point? It's meant to be very cynical, just not in a very dark way.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Does take a while to get going, can be repetitive.

Yeah, when I started reading it that's what got me. I found it funny but not enough to keep reading. Hearing that it does get better makes me interested in picking it up again, as I was reading it pretty early on so I didn't know where it was going or whether it'd just be the same thing over and over.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I didn't know where it was going or whether it'd just be the same thing over and over.

Honestly, I think it will be eventually, but right now it's definitely enough fun to merit reading these two omnibuses.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I've been following the manga at Pixiv Comic for quite a while and I've never felt it become repetitive. Maybe because I didn't binge read whole volumes? Or maybe because I feel like I'm reading a comedic 4koma with no larger plot going on.
Anyway, I still think it's really fun, and the characters are enjoyable. I hope the anime does well Smile
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:47 am Reply with quote
I think the reason that Uramichi Oniisan really works with me as a comedy is that it's not really mean-spirited (at other people, at least; the self-deprecation is real here). Like, despite how much Uramichi seems to absolutely hate his job, he also seems to genuinely love and care for the children he works with, which is a nice change from other cynical comedies where the main characters are mean to other people for laughs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1