• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Comeback Mechanics

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
snk neo geo pocket collection vol 2 should have

card fighters clash snk + capcom versions
card fighters clash 2
biomotor unitron
sonic pocket adventure
Pocket Tennis Color
Magical Drop Pocket
Faselei!
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The Nintendo theme park looks great, but a bit small for now. They've also shown off a lot of the interactivity in the park, but I wonder how well that will work when it's packed with people. Are they planning on limiting the number of people in the area? (of course I mean this under normal, non-pandemic circumstances)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but it leaves you wondering what top-tier titles are left that could potentially be put on a volume 2.

I actually looked over the Neo Geo Pocket Color's entire catalog, which is only 82 games, and SNK has enough to do another two collections, three tops.

First, remove just about any of the Japanese-exclusive releases, which actually gets rid of almost half of the entire NGPC catalog, since I I doubt those will even be under consideration, similar to ACA Neo Geo. Sadly, this does take stuff like Biomotor Unitron 2, Ogre Battle Gaiden, & Card Fighers Clash 2 out. Then, remove the few B&W games that received color updates, since they'd likely just combine them together, similar to how you'll be able to play B&W-compatible games in the collection. This gets rid of a handful more.

Then you have to consider the small group of 3rd party-owned games, which are: Bust-a-Move Pocket (Taito), Cool Boarders Pocket (UEP, which doesn't exist anymore), Evolution: Eternal Dungeons (ESP, which is now owned by D3), Faselei! (Sacnoth/Aruze, which is now Universal Entertainment [no relation to the movie studio]), Magical Drop Pocket (Data East/G-mode), Pac-Man (Namco), Shanghai Mini (Activision), Fantastic Night Dreams: Cotton (Success), Picture Puzzle (Success), Pocket Reversi (Success), Puyo Pop (Sega), Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure (Sega), SvC Card Fighters Clash 1 (Capcom), & Rockman Battle & Fighters (Capcom), which is a Japan-only game, but I'll still include it here.

Finally that leaves with only 13 SNK-owned games that would definitely be considered for inclusion: Baseball Stars Color, Biomotor Unitron 1, Cool Cool Jam (also Japan-only, but it's a rhythm game), Crush Roller, Dive Alert (which came in Becky & Matt versions), Dynamite Slugger, King of Fighters R-1, Neo Geo Cup '98 Plus Color, Pocket Tennis Color, Puzzle Link 1 & 2, & Samurai Shodown! 1.

SNK could get away with one more collection easily, but any more beyond that would need going into more Japan-only games & licensing with third-parties, and while I'm sure the Capcom games are likely future inclusions due to Match of the Millennium, & the Sega games are a good expectation as well, the others are much more unknown. I highly doubt we'll be getting all of them, at least; I at least hope we'll get Faselei!.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:52 am Reply with quote
IMG (Endeavor) is well-known in sports circles - they're one of the biggest sports agency around, representing some of the world's top athletes and their very rich contracts

SHOW ME TEH MONEY!!!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:11 am Reply with quote
-Super Nintendo World: Guh, I'd love to be there if things weren't such a mess. And I really want to see they'll do for the future. Imagine a Zelda attraction where you have to solve puzzles in a dungeon.

-EVO: We shall see. If anything, I'd wait until the Smash community is out of extended probation after last year's Yikes-O-Rama

-Square-Enix: This entire presentation was terrible and Square needs to not do that again.

For now I'm just counting down to Monster Hunter Rise
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, that raises the question: If Sony is involved, will EVO only feature PS4/PS5 games from now on? Representatives have already said that games on other platforms will be considered for official status on the roster, though I get the distinct feeling that if a game is multiplatform, you'll be forced onto the PlayStation version at EVO

Heads up, but Tekken 7 has already been announced to be PC only for EVO even tho it's on PS4/5. They're just picking the platform where the game is in it's best state while taking crossplay into account.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, one franchise that isn't seeing a particularly exciting revival at the moment is Tomb Raider. It's the 25th anniversary of the original game's release, so a lot of fans were hopeful to see the reveal of some sort of reboot or re-release of Lara's PlayStation-era adventures.

Don't know what anyone would've expected either considering the new trilogy series just ended and I don't see the playstation era games having aged very well play wise.

Quote:
Yes, a cookbook, because when I think of Lara Croft, the first words that come to mind are “domestic goddess.”

Did BOTW even get a cookbook that game actually has you cook unlike the Tomb Raider games.

AksaraKishou wrote:
Heads up, but Tekken 7 has already been announced to be PC only for EVO even tho it's on PS4/5. They're just picking the platform where the game is in it's best state while taking crossplay into account.

But what platform do Tekken players play on the most?
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, one franchise that isn't seeing a particularly exciting revival at the moment is Tomb Raider. It's the 25th anniversary of the original game's release, so a lot of fans were hopeful to see the reveal of some sort of reboot or re-release of Lara's PlayStation-era adventures.

Don't know what anyone would've expected either considering the new trilogy series just ended and I don't see the playstation era games having aged very well play wise.

Given the hardware the three first games were released on, not to mention the way the worlds were built to accomodate Lara's style of play, they were quite pretty for their time.

But yeah... while I remember loving the first three games -- the first one was a particularly eye-opening game -- I was a bit less impressed with the controls of the first game when I had the chance to replay it a bit in a videogame museum I visited a few years ago. It felt so heavy and cumbersome then that I was kind of taken aback about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1